makel

Dec 29, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Piper
I'm okay cleaning the pee and poo, I have a big box of puppy pads coming. I'm okay with accidents in the crate. I'm not okay with her rolling in it, and covering every inch of the crate with her dookie! Also, I have to keep giving her baths and I know that's not good for her skin. I'm convinced she did it this morning on purpose for attention, she gets tons of attention. I told her she's a nasty ho, she wasn't fazed. I'm glad my washing machine has a sanitize option. My husband is going to be on leave for the next three months, so she will be taken out more often. She's 10 weeks old today. I increased her food because she was under weight, but the poop smearing makes me want to starve her out. She doesn't like to go outside if the weather is not to her liking, we have stand offs and stare downs, I'm really coming along in soda pop candy crush. The smell of poop no longer affects me.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh boy, great read :) I mean, while YOU may not be amused, ,,,you sure made me laugh :) ( all the while, feeling a tad sorry for you too ) Sooooooo, now that i've said that, i have absolutely no advice.. Im sure some other experience bulldog lovers/moms/dads will get with you on some great advice... These guys do give a good "stare down" dont they!! That one i can relate to.. Anyway, good luck, and glad she's still 'lift able' ;)

OP
M

makel

Dec 29, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Piper
She's a sweet heart. I just wish she would quit smearing the poo around.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Remove her bedding fromt he crate till she is trained.... also, at 10 weeks, keep in mind she has to go out for potty at least evry 2 - 3 hours. Immediately after any type of play session should be a potty and within 20-30 mins of a meal

Good luck...

what level of candy crush are you on?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
At ten weeks, she's just a small baby who needs to be taken out every two hours or even more often. Keep her close to you at all times, and, just like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] says, lift her out after play and food. As soon as she wakes up after sleep she needs to go out as well. I know it's winter and perhaps not as easy to go out as in summer, but I would skip the puppy pads. Take her out often (night time too), and watch over her like you would a baby the first months. She will learn!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Great advice above! Stand outside 15 mins or more if you have to but bottom line puppy is only 10 weeks old.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION].... what level in candy crush are you on????? :lmaogirl::lmaogirl::lmaogirl: only you! Too funny im still laughing!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Yes to above advice. Remember, just like an infant child, you need to catch sleep when she does. This is the hardest part of having a puppy. Dad must step up and get up when time to take the little one out. Puppies need so much more care than adults. Try to establish a schedule that works for all 3 of you. Stick to it and you will overcome this. Soon she will start sleeping longer and staying up longer...well, maybe not the staying up part. Measure/Gauge her "sleep" progress every 2 weeks not every 2 days.

OP
M

makel

Dec 29, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Piper
I talked with husband about it he said he'll get up with her at night. She has learned what the word no means. She knows there's something to figure out with going pee and pooping, she just hasn't figured it out yet. Right now she knows to go to the bathroom when the other two dogs go. So when she sees the cat use the litter box or me on the toilet she get this look like "eureka" and goes to the bathroom as well. She'll get it eventually I'm sure.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Our Daphne is 18 weeks old. We've had her for almost 4 weeks. She was not House trained in any way when she came from the breeder. When she first came I took her out every hour on the hour. I set the alarm for 4:00AM. I always am awake by 6Am when Daphne goes out again. After that I feed her and take her out within 15 minutes of her feeding. She always pees and poops as soon as we go out.
We live in Florida so cold, snow etc. is not an issue. We have an invisible fence and she will be Trained to it next week. I don't let her choose her own area of the yard to do her business trained to it next week. We have a large property and it had the invisible fence around the entire perimeter. When I take her out in the yard she is always leashed. I will not let her come in until she poops. All of my neighbors have seen me standing what seems like endlessly in the yard wearing my Batman nightshirt. Bullies are stubborn. I am more stubborn. When it comes to the dogs, I always must win. I have 3 other dogs who were house. Each of the dogs has a separate area where broken the same way. I do not let Daphne choose her own place to poop. I have trained each dog to his/her own area. This way, I can check poops for worms or whatever, see if any dog has diahrrea get the right stool sample for the right dog if needed. I walk Daphne for her morning and evening walk AFTER she has pooped in her assigned area. Our walks are for her exercise (and mine)This is because my husband scoops the poop in the yard. She hasnt had an accident in the house in almost three weeks.
Yes, initially, this is a lot of work, but it's really worth it to concentrate on the housebreaking immediately.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
...she get this look like "eureka" and goes to the bathroom as well.
As sympathetic to your Bully predicament as I am, I cannot help but smile...no, laugh at this.

OP
M

makel

Dec 29, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Piper
So she has mostly stopped pooping in her crate, the last time she smeared everything around I told her no very harshly as I showed her each dirty wipe. I think she's pooped twice since then but left it alone. She's not peeing in it that often either and is starting to get better about using the puppy pads. She's better about going outside if she goes out by herself, and she is walking to the door, but she's not giving us any time at all to get to the door before she runs off and pees somewhere else. We are working on it. Was thinking about putting a bell on the door and seeing it we can get her to tap it when she needs to go out.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I'm okay cleaning the pee and poo, I have a big box of puppy pads coming. I'm okay with accidents in the crate. I'm not okay with her rolling in it, and covering every inch of the crate with her dookie! Also, I have to keep giving her baths and I know that's not good for her skin. I'm convinced she did it this morning on purpose for attention, she gets tons of attention. I told her she's a nasty ho, she wasn't fazed. I'm glad my washing machine has a sanitize option. My husband is going to be on leave for the next three months, so she will be taken out more often. She's 10 weeks old today. I increased her food because she was under weight, but the poop smearing makes me want to starve her out. She doesn't like to go outside if the weather is not to her liking, we have stand offs and stare downs, I'm really coming along in soda pop candy crush. The smell of poop no longer affects me.

OMG!!! I'm having dejavu reading this! When I first got Penny- that's the same thing she would do. It was exhausting, frustrating and every emotion in between. All I can say is to keep being consistent. I want to say Penny was 5-6 months old before she wouldn't [emoji90] in her kennel any longer. I tried everything under the sun and all of the "text book" things. I think she just had to outgrow it. I would also still wake up in the middle of the night to take her out. Oh man- I feel your pain!
One time as soon as I got home, our Pest guy was there to spray the inside of the house. Yup- you guessed it, she pooped alllllll in her kennel. My house smelled like **** and I was MORTIFIED!!!! The guy just laughed it off and said he understood. But it still didn't change the deep level of embarrassment I felt that day.
Just be patient with her, consistent and still love her. I think that's what kept me sane- just how extremely sweet and loving Penny was. After I bathed her, I would hold her while drying and she would just "look" at me, and I'd melt in her eyes.
Now she honestly couldn't be a more perfect dog with hardly no accidents.

I just read your last post- bell training mine has been AMAZING! Penny was the same way- when she rang the bell, she meant business- RIGHT NOW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
So she has mostly stopped pooping in her crate, the last time she smeared everything around I told her no very harshly as I showed her each dirty wipe. I think she's pooped twice since then but left it alone. She's not peeing in it that often either and is starting to get better about using the puppy pads. She's better about going outside if she goes out by herself, and she is walking to the door, but she's not giving us any time at all to get to the door before she runs off and pees somewhere else. We are working on it. Was thinking about putting a bell on the door and seeing it we can get her to tap it when she needs to go out.

Not sure which method you're planning to use or have researched, but if you're going to start the bell training, you may want to consider a pen around the crate.
When I was potty training, Bass peed on a green mat that eventually got moved outside…(this made my training technique easy and effective - I do not do the bell technique however, he is on a regular schedule).

A method to consider:

Establish one pee/poop spot in the pen, ring the bell every time you put Piper on the mat and she pees/poops. She will most likely connect the two. Once that is down, move the pee/poop mat right in front of a door and attach the bell to the door handle.

Keep taking her there to pee/poop and ring the bell.

Key words like "bell" or "pee" or "out" help too…keep it simple to relate all three for easy retention - bullies are very good at memorizing key words.

The goal is to get Piper to the door and nudge the bell herself, even if she still pees/poops on the piddle-pad inside, she is learning to go to the door, ring the bell and hopefully you will get there before she "goes". Bring the/a pad out side right next to the door as puppies cannot hold their bladder very well at that age, she's still very young, but a perfect age if you're going to try and do this kind of training…Consistency is KEY and lots of praise when she does something right. Once she goes out doors BIG praises and a reward.

The pen outside the crate works well if it's just you and no-one to help during the evening potty breaks, that way you're not getting up every 2-3 hours and the piddle-pad is right there until she's old enough to hold her bladder for 6 or more hours (usually 6+months). Good luck, she'll get it!!

OH, also, (not sure if this was previously mentioned) you can feed her in her crate(not the pen, but the crate), this will help establish that it is her den and not her bathroom…

OP
M

makel

Dec 29, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Piper
Not sure which method you're planning to use or have researched, but if you're going to start the bell training, you may want to consider a pen around the crate.
When I was potty training, Bass peed on a green mat that eventually got moved outside…(this made my training technique easy and effective - I do not do the bell technique however, he is on a regular schedule).

A method to consider:

Establish one pee/poop spot in the pen, ring the bell every time you put Piper on the mat and she pees/poops. She will most likely connect the two. Once that is down, move the pee/poop mat right in front of a door and attach the bell to the door handle.

Keep taking her there to pee/poop and ring the bell.

Key words like "bell" or "pee" or "out" help too…keep it simple to relate all three for easy retention - bullies are very good at memorizing key words.

The goal is to get Piper to the door and nudge the bell herself, even if she still pees/poops on the piddle-pad inside, she is learning to go to the door, ring the bell and hopefully you will get there before she "goes". Bring the/a pad out side right next to the door as puppies cannot hold their bladder very well at that age, she's still very young, but a perfect age if you're going to try and do this kind of training…Consistency is KEY and lots of praise when she does something right. Once she goes out doors BIG praises and a reward.

The pen outside the crate works well if it's just you and no-one to help during the evening potty breaks, that way you're not getting up every 2-3 hours and the piddle-pad is right there until she's old enough to hold her bladder for 6 or more hours (usually 6+months). Good luck, she'll get it!!

OH, also, (not sure if this was previously mentioned) you can feed her in her crate(not the pen, but the crate), this will help establish that it is her den and not her bathroom…

She is really starting to be consistent with going to the door when she needs to go. We've been moving the puppy pads to the door, and she's even going out without the other two dogs. We just don't always see her when she is at the door, but she is being more consistent about going on the pads or trying to hit the pads right by the door. I just talked with hubby about the bell thing again, probably going to look for something on amazon. Just weighed her today she's almost 12 weeks I think and weighs 12 pounds, when we got her at 8 weeks she was 5.5 lbs we are very happy with her.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.