Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Hi All,

Need some Help/Guidance/Advice.

1) Ellie will be OK in her crate for about 4ish hours, anything beyond that point she barks her head off. I know this as I have a nanny cam, that I spy on her at work. She will snooze MOST of the AM till I get to her at lunch time. She does get a SHORT potty break at my lunch time, and then will snooze till about 2:30-3ish, and then as mentioned will bark her head off. Till I get home at about 5-5:30. I should also mention, she still has a divider, as if we give her too much room, she will pee, as we are still working on her potty manners, after a long battle with crystals, that we just got under control.

2) Not sure if this is an Anxiety thing, or and I have to pee thing, as usually as soon as she is out of her crate she goes out to potty right away, as mentioned, we are still getting her potty manners under control, after a long battle with crystals.

This has been bugging me for a while now :*(

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Oh, this must be stressful for both you and Ellie! Perhaps not an appropriate question, but does she need to be in a crate when you are not at home? Would she sleep longer if she could choose where to sleep? Could a dog sitter come in and take her out during the afternoon?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Not sure how old she is, but if she is still young, she can't comfortably hold it very long, and that could be the reason for the barking. We crate all of ours, but when we have pups, we will attach an X-pen to their crate so they can go in and out. We put washable cotton pee pads in the X-pen area, and bedding in the crate. they learn quickly to use the pee pads and not go in their bedding area. Also we always have plenty of water available to them 24/7. Not sure if you are, but never restrict water from them.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] - She is crated at this time, as she still has the occasional accident in the house, mommy and daddy are trying like heck to get her fully housebroken, now that we have her crystals all cleared up. Ellie does have Sitter, but she is little pricey, so I am able to come home most days.
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] - She is 13 Mos, so just over a year, we have had some challenging potty issues along the way, UTI's, Crystals, and her Heat Cycle. She ALWAYS has access to water, though for some reason she REFUSES to drink what I put in her crate, drives me nuts as we have to give her bottled water, as our well water upsets her urine PH, so at this age and the trouble we have had, not sure what her urine holding capabilities should be. Ellie will hold it if she is in her crate with a divider, OR if she is sleeping, as we do allow her to sleep with us (bad I know), and she if FINALLY starting to get the hang of getting to the door otherwise, but for some reason when given room in her crate she seems to find a way to pee.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Have you tried leaving her out of her crate for one day?

Today I just put Nyala's kennel away. She's fine in the house on her own now and shes 15months

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Have you tried leaving her out of her crate for one day?

Today I just put Nyala's kennel away. She's fine in the house on her own now and shes 15months

No, not yet, this mama will need a couple more nanny cams first!! :evilha:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Didn't know she was that old. She should be able to hold it all day long. She either has a bladder problem, or just stubborn. Our Hazel doesn't drink much water in her crate either. Drives me crazy. We add water to her food, and that helps. You might try to set up an X-pen and see if that helps.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
That's a lot of hours in a crate. Even if you go home at lunch take her out, she still back in the crate. Like [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] said a pen. Also isn't you dog on raw or home cooking? Or maybe I got the wrong person.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
That's a lot of hours in a crate. Even if you go home at lunch take her out, she still back in the crate. Like [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] said a pen. Also isn't you dog on raw or home cooking? Or maybe I got the wrong person.
Helene - yes it is alot of hours in a crate, and i feel horrible about it everyday, you had mentioned home cooking to me in the past, but for now ellie is on a gentle supplement that seems to be keeping the crystals out of her urine.

Once she is all healed from her Spay in a few weeks, going to try and come up with a new plan

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Have you tried covering her crate to block light?
One of our guys gets up with the sun and on the weekends, that can cut an hour of my beauty sleep. We cover his crate with a beach towel and his body clock doesn't know the difference. He gets up when we get up.

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
One of our guys gets up with the sun and on the weekends, that can cut an hour of my beauty sleep. We cover his crate with a beach towel and his body clock doesn't know the difference. He gets up when we get up.
We started doing this with are bullies and it works great.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie

Hi Chip!! - she does have a cover on her crate but not a real good one, kinda thin, and doesn't cover all the way to the bottom, when I get a new one should it cover to the bottom, also what about the door??

We have done the ultimate sin, and Ellie sleeps with us, she is good sleeper, so no trouble there :)

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Didn't know she was that old. She should be able to hold it all day long. She either has a bladder problem, or just stubborn. Our Hazel doesn't drink much water in her crate either. Drives me crazy. We add water to her food, and that helps. You might try to set up an X-pen and see if that helps.

I'm thinking Stubborn at this point with Ellie, as she has (2) Sets of full Blood-work, both Perfect , and Sterile Urine Pull from her bladder, which was completely healthy, and she has been clear of crystals for over a month now, but She is GETTING it SLOWLY, she will stand at the top of the stairs and look at me, and then look at the door, and when she is good and ready will go down to the door, when she has to pee, she will ALWAYS go the door for #2.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Helene - yes it is alot of hours in a crate, and i feel horrible about it everyday, you had mentioned home cooking to me in the past, but for now ellie is on a gentle supplement that seems to be keeping the crystals out of her urine.

Once she is all healed from her Spay in a few weeks, going to try and come up with a new plan

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oh ok I thought you switched her food. I was going to say all dogs on raw or home cooking barely drinks and not to worry about it as their meals is full of moisture. Again, Nyala also had crystals when she was younger and home cooking solved that immediately. I always top Nyala's food with her turkey broth. She's doing great. She can also eat kibbles if im gone for a few days. No problemo.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Chip!! - she does have a cover on her crate but not a real good one, kinda thin, and doesn't cover all the way to the bottom, when I get a new one should it cover to the bottom, also what about the door??

We have done the ultimate sin, and Ellie sleeps with us, she is good sleeper, so no trouble there :)

Our guys sleep with us too... never an issue and when we leave the house they are gated in the basement with their crate doors open. But, we do crate them if we are going to be gone more than 4 hours. Then we have aour pet sitter swing by to let them out.

Does she have anything in the crate, bedding? If yes, remove it and remove the divided... she if she pees on the pan

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.