At 26 months of age, I'm constantly asked if he's a full breed bulldog. What you all think?

OP
M

Maximus P

Jan 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thank you for your wonderful responses. Max is a sweetheart, and we love him so much. He's so spoiled! IMG_2536.JPGIMG_3229.JPGIMG_3572.JPGIMG_3226.JPGIMG_3592.JPGIMG_3695.JPG

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I don't think that his tail is docked looking at that rear end shot. He reminds me very much of my Smedley. About the same size and similar face.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My first thought was that his face looked like a pug as well and his legs do look shorter, but I agree with others comments that he is a beautiful boy, and EBs come in all different shapes, sizes, and features. He's beautiful, and you love him, that's all that matters. People ask me all the time if my Bulldozer is mixed with a Boxer? I know he has a defect in his jaw, it is longer than normal, and he's congenitally missing his lower molars. It doesn't affect him except he eats slower, and he can't close his mouth completely, so his tongue always hangs out. It doesn't matter to me, I love him no matter what.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    637 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 81

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My first thought was that his face looked like a pug as well and his legs do look shorter, but I agree with others comments that he is a beautiful boy, and EBs come in all different shapes, sizes, and features. He's beautiful, and you love him, that's all that matters. People ask me all the time if my Bulldozer is mixed with a Boxer? I know he has a defect in his jaw, it is longer than normal, and he's congenitally missing his lower molars. It doesn't affect him except he eats slower, and he can't close his mouth completely, so his tongue always hangs out. It doesn't matter to me, I love him no matter what.

:2thumbs::clap::judges:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
English Bulldog tails are not docked. They are what they are. Some are straight and long, some are short and curled. Some are inverted. As for the muzzle, I think that is why people think a different breed. You don't usually see that marking on a bulldog.... but that is not to say you never see that marking on a bulldog.

Some bulldogs have long legs and are tall (Vegas) and some are short and petite (Orion)

If you have seen both the parents and the other litter mates... you have a full EB.

I read somewhere that English Bulldogs are descendants of the Mastiffs, but I couldn't find the information to back it up.

I think you have yourself a bulldog with a unique look.

SuperPhoto_Creation_2016-12-29_114048.jpg

OP
M

Maximus P

Jan 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Smedley does reminds me of Max:no: He is beautifui!

OP
M

Maximus P

Jan 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I agree. The uniqueness is what attracted me to him. Most of his litter mates were IMG_3440.JPGIMG_0576.JPGIMG_2360.JPGwhite. His mom and dad.

- - - Updated - - -

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
English Bulldog tails are not docked. They are what they are. Some are straight and long, some are short and curled. Some are inverted. As for the muzzle, I think that is why people think a different breed. You don't usually see that marking on a bulldog.... but that is not to say you never see that marking on a bulldog.

Some bulldogs have long legs and are tall (Vegas) and some are short and petite (Orion)

If you have seen both the parents and the other litter mates... you have a full EB.

I read somewhere that English Bulldogs are descendants of the Mastiffs, but I couldn't find the information to back it up.

I think you have yourself a bulldog with a unique look.

View attachment 103092

Bulldogs are referred too as mastiff type dogs in some of the article I have read when researching medical issues with Chunky

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
100yrs ago, the real EB never had a big rope, droopy eye, ears nor did the pug . The bull terrier never had an egg shape head.. I can go on n on. Nyala is a smaller version of EB. And it's fine with me. A lot of dogs got altered by humans. It is what it is. So basically same breed dogs wont all look the same. And its ok. You love Max and that's what counts.

https://dogbehaviorscience.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/100-years-of-breed-improvement/

Reading what I posted 3years ago about Nyala. Smaller version...hell that changed!!! Lollll.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Reading what I posted 3years ago about Nyala. Smaller version...hell that changed!!! Lollll.

LOL. LOL. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChaosAndMayhem

Nov 30, 2019
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
I agree with earlier replies. I see pug in the shape and look and mastiff in the colouring. I’m no expert though. They all look so different within the same breed. What a sweetheart. You must kiss that face often. 🤗

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
He looks like he's got some pug in him, that cute worried look, the odd tail and the small feet. A DNA test would tell you. Nevertheless, he is cute!

Sometime back I met a woman who went on about her "miniature" bulldog. I told her that I'd never heard of such. She said that the breeder mated a pug and a bulldog. Then the females from that litter were mated with a bulldog when matured. So 3/4 bulldog & 1/4 pug=miniature bulldog. She paid $2000 but didn't respond when I asked about AKC papers. There's no way it could be registered if the breeder had been honest. I did find a website that sells "Miniature Bulldogs" and in parantheses it says "Bullpug".

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.