EXCESSIVE BARKING

BisouBisou

Nov 13, 2016
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Bisou
what are some tips you can hand down for excessive barking. our Bisou is only 8 weeks old and understand he is a puppy but lately his barking is becoming a problem especially in the middle of the night. sometimes he sleeps through the night sometime he does not. we have tried speaking in a calm firm voice and when that failed yelled NO or ENOUGH.
please help

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I found a lot of problems went away when I eliminated all light and moved his crate to our room.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
At 8 weeks, he is just discovering his "voice" and probably using it to get your attention. You want to encourage barking when it's relevant (stranger at door, threats etc…) and distract and/or ignore when not.

It's a good time to introduce teaching when not to bark and rewarding when "no bark" is done…takes some time to do this. I chose not to scold mine during puppy training when he barked, as I wanted a watch dog for when I was home alone, but Bass was a good student during our training and surprisingly did not whimper/bark much at all. The first two rules I taught were SIT and RELEASE. Teaching "sit" right away is important for "no bark" training. As soon as you say "no bark" (after sit is taught) try to get him to automatically sit after you it….then reward reward reward.
Crate in your bedroom, as mentioned^ , may help w/the barking at night. He's still just a puppy and needs lots of attention, reinforcement and security…sorry, editing because I should have asked…do you know what the cause could be? Just for attention? Potty?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
This is what I would do: At eight weeks he's just a tiny baby. If he starts barking in the middle of the night, lift him up, take him out for a quick potty session and then sit with him in your arms until he falls asleep again. Then you put him back in his bed (close to your bed). A pup that young is very much like a human baby - if he calls out for you, you go and help him, and he will sleep well knowing you are there for him if he needs you! :)

Alpha1

Nov 18, 2015
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Zik
Great points. He is still young and there is not need to scold him. Wish you all the best.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Awwwa just a little furball that's calling for you. All great advice above....Patience....:babysleep:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great advice given! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.