When to separate two dogs playing?

allisonnikole96

Dec 13, 2016
Kansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maci and Moose
I have a female english bulldog who is almost 2. We just brought home an 8 week old E.B. puppy, this is their 3rd day together. She has progressed a lot from when we brought him home, enough to where she feels comfortable playing with him. HOWEVER, she likes to play rough, and so does he. They like to play "aggressively" and I can tell they both enjoy it, but I am concerned. He bites and pulls her skin pretty hard, and she will roll him around a little bit but won't bite him. Should I allow them to play like this or should I split them up until he is a little bit older? He's pretty tough and brave, but so is she. Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2817.JPG
    IMG_2817.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2691.JPG
    IMG_2691.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 136

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Welcome! Beautiful babies there! Hard at that age. You have a pup and a young teenager. They will play rough for sure. Time to raise the voice and be firm to both! But just keep an eye out like you're doing and if it gets to rough, raise the voice with a firm NO. They will get it eventually. Nyala has a tendency to grab her cousins pitbull jowls and I say HEY no! She looks at me and stops. But heh, I'll repeat as when they are in play mode they forget fast. Keep on it, you'll see it works. Not a day thing. Takes time n patience.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Our guys do it all the time. Every now and then they get POed at each other and manage to sort it out between them. Then it's back to play time. Like wheels says, just "keep an eye on them" and be ready to intervene if things get out of hand.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
I have a female english bulldog who is almost 2. We just brought home an 8 week old E.B. puppy, this is their 3rd day together. She has progressed a lot from when we brought him home, enough to where she feels comfortable playing with him. HOWEVER, she likes to play rough, and so does he. They like to play "aggressively" and I can tell they both enjoy it, but I am concerned. He bites and pulls her skin pretty hard, and she will roll him around a little bit but won't bite him. Should I allow them to play like this or should I split them up until he is a little bit older? He's pretty tough and brave, but so is she. Any advice is appreciated!

I do not have any advice to give, but your babies are ADORABLE!!:loveeyes:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Same as the others have stated... my two play rough, and you will know when it's time to intervene. Bullies are rough dogs... Lol

OP
A

allisonnikole96

Dec 13, 2016
Kansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maci and Moose
Thanks everyone! I will just keep a good eye on them. Its so funny to me that the little guy wants to play just as rough as his big sister... I have a feeling we are in for it when he grows up. :)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Great advice given by all, welcome to EBN!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with the gang ---- it sounds like all hell is breaking loose, but you will know the difference and when to stop them

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
BTW, that Moose looks like trouble...and that Maci...well, she looks like trouble too. Trouble is good...just ask them.
They really are great looking kids.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I was at my son's today. Was checking Nyala as was first time she sees a cat in a house. She just wants to play like yours. Then the 2 bigger pitbulls came in the house and there goes the house. Free for all. I will have to admit, Nyala sees her cousins and it is her that's the "Sh*t disturber" she stars n wont finish and she's much younger and less heavy. Sooooo all this to say, let them play. It's a bit rough but that's how bullies are or any dog. Just keep an eye out that's all. Enjoy as your hands will be full. :p

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Day 3 Rosie 052.JPGDay 3 Rosie 033.jpg014.jpg

This our Rosie at 8 weeks old , last pic she is just over 1 year old . All the dogs she plays with (4 large dogs , last pic he weighs 110 lbs ) are much larger then her . Rosie started to rough house on her third day with us and has never stopped , no injuries no holes ect ect and the big dogs are very aware that she is small. I say let em play mistakes will be made no question but like any kids they learn from it and go easy the next time .

OP
A

allisonnikole96

Dec 13, 2016
Kansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maci and Moose
Thanks everyone! Everyone says bulldogs are such lazy dogs.. Maci is not. She could play forever, she never wants to go home after a walk. And she LOVES to play rough! Must be a bulldog thing.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.