First night with Doze

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
So yesterday when we brought Dozer home, i took him straight through the house to the backyard so he could see which door to go out of if he has to pee. then we waited to see if he had to pee and he didn't. Later he peed in my son's room...understandable. I brought him out multiple times after he ate dinner and nothing. His breeder says he always poops after dinner. But i figure he must be nervous. I know when you change a dogs routine so drastically that he'll be out of his routine most likely. So i took him out multiple times before dinner and no pee. im like, he must have to pee. so i put him in his crate, figuring he's bound to pee in his crate during the night. but he didnt! i was really surprised. i took him out in the am around 5:10 and he didnt pee! im like omgosh you have to pee by now! lol so we went back in and i took him out again a few minutes later. he peed!! then we went in the house and he pooped. :\ lol but i understand he's going through a lot. missing his friends at stacy's house and a new routine/atmostphere/people. When i put him in his crate last night he was fine at first, but then started to whine and bark. He must've settled down because i woke up during the night like, "He's quiet, yay. shhh". :) Then we got up at 5 like i mentioned. so, phew, 1 night down and it went pretty good :)

Also, how many toys do you leave out at a time for you bully? i have 2 out right now (a nylabone and a squeeky toy that is pretty cool) (yup, i watch him with that, and the nylabone actually). i have a couple of other toys (need more :) ). Do you leave yours in a basket and let him/her choose? or do you only put out a couple at a time? Thanks!

Meg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs have always had a toybox. It's actually a low plastic container-like maybe a blanket type,that would fit under a bed,with the lid off. They can reach in it real easy. They have every kind of durabone that has been made! [MENTION=15395]megdav[/MENTION] They just "go shopping" when they want one!
I would suggest that when he poops in the house,take it outside,and put it where you want him to go. Sometimes that helps encourage them.
Keep an eye on him with anything that would be easy to chew up,and swallow-including the squeakers! I would only let him play with them if you are watching-don't leave them for choice! Enjoy Dozer!

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thanks! Good idea with the poop! He pooped again but in the bathroom! lol! That's semi appropriate [emoji12]

I'm so glad I have you guys or I'd feel so lonely in this. You all help a lot. [emoji175]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
Mine still poops in the house sometimes. He's 5 months. This potty training thing has been hard since my last dog never had accidents. At first it was same as Dozer, sons room, bathroom, hallway, and now it's in the front living room on the hard floor so easy to clean up. It's just every once in awhile now, I'm convinced it is because we've not stayed out with him long enough or if it's raining. He's a slow pooper too, we have to walk him around the yard for awhile. If he had his way he'd come right back in after peeing. So I feel like its family's fault not necessarily his. We are still working on training him to let us know though too. I'm sure Dozer is still just adjusting and it will get better soon enough. As for toys we have a toy box also and he chooses what he wants to play with. Then the antlers, buffalo horn, other things I rotate out. I've noticed if I keep them out he chews them but not for long. So when I rotate it, I can give it to him after dinner when we're all watching tv and it keeps him busy for a longer period of time. Good luck and I'm so glad he's finally in his new home!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks! Good idea with the poop! He pooped again but in the bathroom! lol! That's semi appropriate [emoji12]

I'm so glad I have you guys or I'd feel so lonely in this. You all help a lot. [emoji175] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason, English bulldogs REALLY hate change and many (not all) seem to have various levels
of OCD behavior. That said, any dog will have adjustment period going to new home so don't sweat it
or form opinions yet. Lynn [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] gave a great tip, taking poo out of house to area of yard you
want him to use, also...don't scold him just yet, it's okay to calmly disagree with action, a firm NO to
the poo or pee and immediately take outside, even if he doesn't go, he'll start associating your words
to the deed. Use same phrase, such as 'Go potty' or whatever you chose but same phrase. When he
does go, be over the top with encouragement & have a treat to give (it can be a bit of his kibble even).
Many have trained with a bell & pull at the door which he's to use with great results & fast too. Just
stay calm, patient & clear about expectations and he'll get it, EB's are very smart dogs, just stubborn!
Again, not all...enjoy this time of getting to know each other, it goes so fast.

My bully, Cami, was five when I got her, a retired breeder, and had some potty issues but learned quickly.
Then I had some misfortunes and moved (unexpectedly) like, 3 different times in 2 years. Each time, Cami
would start peeing in my bed, never pooping in the house so very odd. Finally figured out, she was 'marking'
her territory & 'claiming' me (some actions are primitive instincts). I stopped letting her get on my bed or my
sofa and made my expectations very clear, patiently told her, NO, each time (she knew better & showed it)
and took her outside even if she didn't go again. It didn't take long for her to stop peeing in my bed. She did
it with each move tho, very frustrating and lots of work as I have heavily layered bed...featherbed, liners, quilt,
comforter, throws...lots of laundering! Also...whenever Cami is crated (never anymore) she will pee anything in
there but doesn't if bare. Some bullies will do this, again, maybe a marking thing but they can be potty trained
perfectly, housewise but will pee on any blanket or towel in a crate. Little oddities of many that come with bulldogs
but it's why we love them so much, such characters!

Congratulations with your boy, Dozer, so handsome too...Enjoy!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great advice by the gang...

Here is one of their toy bins

7d30167bdb21f0930e72dfb7edae9e25.jpg

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thanks for the photo!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the photo!

That is just the family room... they have teo more bins.

:giggle:

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
So yesterday when we brought Dozer home, i took him straight through the house to the backyard so he could see which door to go out of if he has to pee. then we waited to see if he had to pee and he didn't. Later he peed in my son's room...understandable. I brought him out multiple times after he ate dinner and nothing. His breeder says he always poops after dinner. But i figure he must be nervous. I know when you change a dogs routine so drastically that he'll be out of his routine most likely. So i took him out multiple times before dinner and no pee. im like, he must have to pee. so i put him in his crate, figuring he's bound to pee in his crate during the night. but he didnt! i was really surprised. i took him out in the am around 5:10 and he didnt pee! im like omgosh you have to pee by now! lol so we went back in and i took him out again a few minutes later. he peed!! then we went in the house and he pooped. :\ lol but i understand he's going through a lot. missing his friends at stacy's house and a new routine/atmostphere/people. When i put him in his crate last night he was fine at first, but then started to whine and bark. He must've settled down because i woke up during the night like, "He's quiet, yay. shhh". :) Then we got up at 5 like i mentioned. so, phew, 1 night down and it went pretty good :)

Also, how many toys do you leave out at a time for you bully? i have 2 out right now (a nylabone and a squeeky toy that is pretty cool) (yup, i watch him with that, and the nylabone actually). i have a couple of other toys (need more :) ). Do you leave yours in a basket and let him/her choose? or do you only put out a couple at a time? Thanks!

Meg

NO SQUEAKY TOYS ! they chew the toy enough and swallow that sqeak you could loose your pup by choking, Rawhides also do the same , Take it from Me please I have gone threw it
Get a pull rope you will both enjoy it Odin and rosie 001.JPG

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
<3 That must've been horrible. I'm so sorry. I supervise him when he uses it, but i suppose it could happen in a flash. Thank you.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
NO SQUEAKY TOYS ! they chew the toy enough and swallow that sqeak you could loose your pup by choking, Rawhides also do the same , Take it from Me please I have gone threw it
Get a pull rope you will both enjoy it View attachment 102598

Dozer just got the squeaker out of his toy. that's the end of that and no more squeaky toys. thank God i caught him right away.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
So glad you got the squeaker!! 😆 as this was Ellies experience a couple months ago Grandma was watching her, and thought the toy she had no longer had a squeaker...
79e77fe30f520d799431cbaf8007067f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
ew what's that? throw up? :O
oh that's the squeaker on the right, correct?

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
ew what's that? throw up? :O
oh that's the squeaker on the right, correct?
Yup!! that the fabric on the left that was around the squeaker, and the sqeaker.

Took about two weeks for it to resurface...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Can't be too careful with toys. My Dozer was cut stem to stern because during Hurricane Isabel blew fiberglass insulation into our yard and he ate a pile of it. $3000.00 later he was fine. About 3 years later our son's 5" "play" Basketball came up missing. Dozer had eaten it after shredding it. Over the next two years it petrified in his stomach and got hard. We found it quite by accident looking at a chest X-ray. Another $1200.00 and he was back to normal.
I'm sure you guys have seen the round ball toy with 2 feet shaped like Mike from Monsters, Inc. My Myra chewed the feet off of the toy and we didn't find them for 3 months. I spotted them embedded in a fresh steaming pile in the back yard.
"Hey, look, a 2-foot turd!" Dodged a bullet on that one.
Watch 'em like a hawk with toys, I say.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.