need help with one of my bulldogs please

usmc0331

Dec 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
zeus and zeke
hello, im brand new to this forum, as u can probably see, and i need advice. I have two bulldogs, ages 4 and 5.....they are both hous broken but the four year old pees on his bedding or mine. i let them sleep with me but the four year old will pull clothes out of my basket or a bath mat and pee on it. they also have their own couch they get to sleep on but he pees on the center cushion....if i crate him, which i have been, he pees on his blanket. if i dont put a blanket in with him he doesnt pee...its like he'll only pee on his bedding or mine...or anything that smells like me....hes done this his whole life except when he was three, he stopped it for a year and then started doing it again recently....i would greatly appreciate any suggestions...i dont want my house to smell like dog pee but dont want him sleeping without a blanket...and i know hes house broken cuz he can hold it and when he does pee on his bed its just a spot...not enough to be like a dog that had a full bladder and just couldnt hold it anymore...any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated...thank you

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Your bully is laying claim to anything he pees on. It could be a "dominance" issue. Either way there is no magic to make him stop peeing on stuff except to remove the stuff from the equation.
To fix:

From now on he sleeps in a bare kennel. You might try "horse matting" cut to fit the bottom of his kennel. It's usually available from a Tractor Supply or Farm Supply store. It offers a little cushioning and does not absorb urine/moisture.

No more sleeping in your bed.

No more getting on furniture.

I have a feeling you already knew these answers but were hoping for a different solution. IMO, there isn't one other than monitoring him 24/7.

This is your home not his...it's time to take charge of it.

OP
U

usmc0331

Dec 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
zeus and zeke
they dont sleep in bed with me, they sleep on the floor, if i put any kind of mat in his crate he'll pee on it.....i have him in a bare kennel but i dont want him to have to sleep on plastic....i will if necessary but i work 10 hour days which means between work and sleep hes in his crate most of a 24 hour day....i really dont want to do that to him if i dont have to

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
they dont sleep in bed with me, they sleep on the floor,
I see now, then disregard my first suggestion.
if i put any kind of mat in his crate he'll pee on it.....i have him in a bare kennel but i dont want him to have to sleep on plastic
If you have yet to try the horse mat then you might find that it works. If that doesn't work then you might also try a belly band while you are away. It might not work right away but most dogs do not like wearing the pee soaked pad in the belly band and after a few times they get the idea.
...i will if necessary but i work 10 hour days which means between work and sleep hes in his crate most of a 24 hour day....i really dont want to do that to him if i dont have to
During most of that 10 hour work day he's going to be sleeping somewhere. I'd bet that the "somewhere" doesn't matter as much to him as it does you.
I wish I had a better solution for your problem.

Is day care an option?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I can't put any type if bedding in Brutus crate, he will pee on it. Just take up the bedding and he will be fine

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the gang... no bedding in crate. Some dogs just can not have it

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16597]usmc0331[/MENTION] On Jeffers website, they sell plastic covered mats called "prison beds". They are the same as is used in prison. He would be sleeping on plastic, but it would be softer than crate bottom. I believe [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] also uses a similar type,in his dogs crates. If he pees(the dog-not David!) you can wipe it off.

Tuneybuster

Oct 7, 2014
I think the belly band is a great idea. Is he fixed? Sometimes that will make a difference.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We use vinyl crate pads in all out crates to make it a little softer for them. We can not put any bedding in Lucy's crate as she will eat it, so she sleeps on the vinyl crate pad only. You boy is a marker, and as long as he has bedding he will mark it. Sometimes they do grow out of it, but not very often.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.