NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
I found a little trick for my neurotic & stubborn bulldog to get out of bed in the morning and in the car without taking forever.

Nico and I are not morning people/dogs, but I have to get up and go to work.
Every work morning for the last 2.5 years I have to nag, beg and drag Nico off the bed in the morning. I swear he is pretending to sleep and can even pretend to snore. He pays no attention. One morning it came to me that I needed to find something that will get his little tush moving (in the morning, even treats donā€™t work) and I thought of how when I counted with my kids when they were small it sometimes worked but with a dog it might really work
J

So one morning I started with ā€œNico, off, time to go outsideā€, he snored loudly and didnā€™t move. I started counting 1ā€¦.2ā€¦..3 and at three I rushed over to the bed picked him up and set him on the floor. He was infuriated and gave me the death look all the way down stairs and outside. Which I had further incensed by following him down the stairs, not doing anything but making sure he was moving and not lollygagging.

Next morningā€¦. Same thing.

3[SUP]rd[/SUP] morningā€¦ I said 1 and he was up and off the bed at the speed of light.

After a couple of weeks of me being totally thrilled with myself, I decided to try it with him getting in the car. The usual is I ask him if he wants to go for a ride... he gets all excited, goes out to the garage, I open the back door for him to jump on the floor and then the seat but he stopsā€¦ sniffs the edge of the door, makes sure there have been no changes to the floor boards, checks out the door, looks under the carā€¦.10 minutes later of nagging he finally will jump in. Well I put my 1ā€¦2ā€¦.3 to the test and he looked worried when I said 1 but he did make me go to 3 and at that point I went towards him quickly picked him up and set him firmly on the seat. Not mean, just firmly. After that I just pretended nothing happened and the next time he was getting into the car I said 1 and he was in like a flash.

So this has worked ever since. You will want to make sure you are in the position to follow through in case tested (i.e. actually be able to pick up your bulldog or have someone near you that can when you start training).

If you have a bulldog that does not like to be manhandled then this might be the trick for you. Iā€™m sure there are many other ways you could use this technique with a little imagination. Nicoā€™s a good pup and these were a couple of my pet peeves with him. My other bulldog Tia has no trouble getting up in the morning or in the car for a ride, so itā€™s just a personality thing.

IMO: I would not try this with new dogs that are still getting used to you and the family; I donā€™t even think I would do this with a puppy. Nico is 3 years old and we have our bond where he knows I will never hurt him so this just made him irritated not mean.

May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I have used this technique with Dozer since he was just several months old playing outside in different ways. It's easy to read his body language, we line up to race and he will "start on 3 "for example. It has also worked when trying to get him to do something he wasn't quite sure about like getting in / out of the backseat of the Jeep we use to transport him in. I will definitely have to try this to get him up and moving when he doesn't want to because he is stubborn and now too big for me to just "scoop up".

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
I've never thought of doing this, I think I'll give it a try. Jersey can be a little "stubborn" about coming inside after she goes out to do her business. I can't tell you how much I enjoy standing on the porch in the freezing cold in my jammies trying to coax her in with a pretend treat in my hand. :no:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I found a little trick for my neurotic & stubborn bulldog to get out of bed in the morning and in the car without taking forever.

Every work morning for the last 2.5 years I have to nag, beg and drag Nico off the bed in the morning. I swear he is pretending to sleep and can even pretend to snore. He pays no attention. One morning it came to me that I needed to find something that will get his little tush moving (in the morning, even treats donā€™t work) and I thought of how when I counted with my kids when they were small it sometimes worked but with a dog it might really work
J

So one morning I started with ā€œNico, off, time to go outsideā€, he snored loudly and didnā€™t move. I started counting 1ā€¦.2ā€¦..3 and at three I rushed over to the bed picked him up and set him on the floor. He was infuriated and gave me the death look all the way down stairs and outside. Which I had further incensed by following him down the stairs, not doing anything but making sure he was moving and not lollygagging.

3[SUP]rd[/SUP] morningā€¦ I said 1 and he was up and off the bed at the speed of light.

After a couple of weeks of me being totally thrilled with myself, I decided to try it with him getting in the car. The usual is I ask him if he wants to go for a ride... he gets all excited, goes out to the garage, I open the back door for him to jump on the floor and then the seat but he stopsā€¦ sniffs the edge of the door, makes sure there have been no changes to the floor boards, checks out the door, looks under the carā€¦.10 minutes later of nagging he finally will jump in. Well I put my 1ā€¦2ā€¦.3 to the test and he looked worried when I said 1 but he did make me go to 3 and at that point I went towards him quickly picked him up and set him firmly on the seat. Not mean, just firmly. After that I just pretended nothing happened and the next time he was getting into the car I said 1 and he was in like a flash.

So this has worked ever since. You will want to make sure you are in the position to follow through in case tested (i.e. actually be able to pick up your bulldog or have someone near you that can when you start training).

If you have a bulldog that does not like to be manhandled then this might be the trick for you. Iā€™m sure there are many other ways you could use this technique with a little imagination. Nicoā€™s a good pup and these were a couple of my pet peeves with him. My other bulldog Tia has no trouble getting up in the morning or in the car for a ride, so itā€™s just a personality thing.

IMO: I would not try this with new dogs that are still getting used to you and the family; I donā€™t even think I would do this with a puppy. Nico is 3 years old and we have our bond where he knows I will never hurt him so this just made him irritated not mean.
Most excellent. I will try with Jewel who is not a morning person.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
My girls are well behaved but if they get it into their minds they aren't coming in and they are having too much fun........my time is better spent shaking a martini and waiting for them to adjust to the idea....:lmaoboy:My yard is fenced in away from the pastures so they are safe. If it is cold I take my martini, put my chair next to the door (kitchen door is full glass door) and watch them until I am done. I give them a taste of their own medicine.......they will see me at the glass door then come over and act like fools because then they want to come in......I don't give in until I finish my martini....:ROFL: that usually gets their attention. Now, if it is something important I am taking them to then they have their harnesses and leash on and listen on command....for the most part.

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
My girls are well behaved but if they get it into their minds they aren't coming in and they are having too much fun........my time is better spent shaking a martini and waiting for them to adjust to the idea....:lmaoboy:My yard is fenced in away from the pastures so they are safe. If it is cold I take my martini, put my chair next to the door (kitchen door is full glass door) and watch them until I am done. I give them a taste of their own medicine.......they will see me at the glass door then come over and act like fools because then they want to come in......I don't give in until I finish my martini....:ROFL: that usually gets their attention.

LOL

OP
NicosMom

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
He will come inside when called, he was trained young with treats. Treats just didn't seem to work in the above 2 areas.

I wish I would have thought of the Martini when he was younger and acting foolish about coming in, what a great excuse to drink. :summer:

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I've never thought of doing this, I think I'll give it a try. Jersey can be a little "stubborn" about coming inside after she goes out to do her business. I can't tell you how much I enjoy standing on the porch in the freezing cold in my jammies trying to coax her in with a pretend treat in my hand. :no:
Burst out laughing!!! and YES I understand this only too well...llolol

- - - Updated - - -

I love love love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
and another good idea.... liol !!!!!!
My girls are well behaved but if they get it into their minds they aren't coming in and they are having too much fun........my time is better spent shaking a martini and waiting for them to adjust to the idea....:lmaoboy:My yard is fenced in away from the pastures so they are safe. If it is cold I take my martini, put my chair next to the door (kitchen door is full glass door) and watch them until I am done. I give them a taste of their own medicine.......they will see me at the glass door then come over and act like fools because then they want to come in......I don't give in until I finish my martini....:ROFL: that usually gets their attention. Now, if it is something important I am taking them to then they have their harnesses and leash on and listen on command....for the most part.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
:rofl: Absolutely!!!

He will come inside when called, he was trained young with treats. Treats just didn't seem to work in the above 2 areas.

I wish I would have thought of the Martini when he was younger and acting foolish about coming in, what a great excuse to drink. :summer:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great idea and excellent posts! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions