Surrendering our pets.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have to admit I "use" to be one of them to judge pet owners surrendering their furry friend. I was younger and learned that life can hit you with "curve balls." Or life can get in our way at times which you just cant do much about it than go with the flow. Ive seen and heard all sorts how we can judge, get mad or pissed off at owners that have to surrender their pets. We just have to remember one thing "before" we go Errrrrgggggggg, Arrrggg, :w00t:, :hmm::censored::bitching::down: well you get my drift... Most cases, is usually owners have "no" choice. Example some elders need to go in nursing homes which wont allow animals or they are too sick to take care of their fur ball, we can rescue a pet but realized the rescue shelters didn't know more on the pet than you. You bring it home and it just doesn't fit in with children or other pets which you had before getting the rescue. You cant get rid of your kids or other pets that was there before the rescue. You try for weeks, months and some for years and it can just take a tole one you. You sure dont want to endangered "anyone" in the family especially a child. Some realize they just cant afford a pet with the vet bills, feeding them because of all the allergies and so on. Or you lost your job especially these days. And yes you can get the odd ones that shouldn't get any pets period! But most of the time, there is always a sad and good reason why we have to surrender our pets. We humans need to think before judging. So that's my 2 cents worth.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well said, and for the record. We do our best to ensure 'judging' does not take place in the forum.... we are here to help and educate (have fun too) so if you see this happening... please contact a moderator via PM to alert them to the issue and we will address it.

thanks

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Professionalism in rescue is paramount. Regardless of the reason for surrender, we assume that a lot of thought has gone into the decision long before we get the call. It is our job to take in the animal in need and find it a more appropriate home so that it can thrive. Do what's right for the Bulldog! That is our only concern.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am assuming this thread is in response to my 'aargh' in my post about the bulldog that was surrendered. I will say that the shelter in question is a high kill shelter and owner surrender dogs are usually the first to be put down. As it is a pure bred bulldog, hopefully that would never happen and a rescue is on the case. I will say 'aargh' everytime I hear about a dog, any dog, that is placed in a high kill shelter and I make no apologies for it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Awesome post Helene, I can't give you any reputation because I already did and it won't let me give anymore at this time, but your words are so true. We should never judge anyone, we haven't walked in their shoes. There are so many reasons that someone has to surrender their pet, health, illness, money, financial, housing, etc. It can't be an easy decision, and I'm sure it's a very emotional and heart wrenching choice to make, and one that most people will struggle with. Most people will do anything to keep their pets, but sometimes circumstances are beyond their control, and then it's better for the animal to be rehomed. Of course there are always exceptions to this and there are the irresponsible or neglectful owners who just walk away because the pet is no longer a puppy or cute, they were neglectful and the animal is now sick, etc, but in these cases the animal is better off without that owner, and gets a second chance when it's rescued.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I am assuming this thread is in response to my 'aargh' in my post about the bulldog that was surrendered. I will say that the shelter in question is a high kill shelter and owner surrender dogs are usually the first to be put down. As it is a pure bred bulldog, hopefully that would never happen and a rescue is on the case. I will say 'aargh' everytime I hear about a dog, any dog, that is placed in a high kill shelter and I make no apologies for it.
No not at all. Was reading an article and it reminded me when I had to put down my GS. I was judged and still as these 2 member of the family looks at me like Im the " bad person" People had NO clue having a 115lbs GS for 8yrs always on a mission to attack and new target was children, well Im judged. I miss him. Will always miss him even to this day while typing this I have tears. But I know I'm a responsible human being and it had to be done. I would never forgive myself if I have my back turned for that one second and he attacked a child. So no was thinking of me. People should never judge unless you're in their shoes.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
No not at all. Was reading an article and it reminded me when I had to put down my GS. I was judged and still as these 2 member of the family looks at me like Im the " bad person" People had NO clue having a 115lbs GS for 8yrs always on a mission to attack and new target was children, well Im judged. I miss him. Will always miss him even to this day while typing this I have tears. But I know I'm a responsible human being and it had to be done. I would never forgive myself if I have my back turned for that one second and he attacked a child. So no was thinking of me. People should never judge unless you're in their shoes.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

i do agree with you Helen, so many really dont have a choice but there are still a lot who wants the cute puppy when the cute puppy grows they no longer want so easy done dump up or give them away, which is so sad those people are not nice and I would aargh at those people without a doubt but then on the other hand when in the situation you were with your GS I would feel for you and understand why.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
...it reminded me when I had to put down my GS.
It takes great strength to do the right thing when that time comes...for the benefit of all concerned.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I help out when I can with a rescue here in Houston and I get several posts a day about animals abandoned or dumped in shelters here, where they are ALL kill shelters. It breaks my heart that I can't help them. I too have had to give up a beloved pet but she didn't go to a kill shelter as it would have meant almost certain death. If you have a dangerous dog than that is a completely different story and I can only say how sorry I am for what you had to go through.
There are just too many irresponsible owners in this world unfortunately and it really p****s me off.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
i do agree with you Helen, so many really dont have a choice but there are still a lot who wants the cute puppy when the cute puppy grows they no longer want so easy done dump up or give them away, which is so sad those people are not nice and I would aargh at those people without a doubt but then on the other hand when in the situation you were with your GS I would feel for you and understand why.

Like we all know, some people are just plain stupid. (im very direct. Did i ever mentiomed that lol) They see a cute puppy and buys it without thinking what's going to follow. Like kids when parents buy bunnies or baby chicks at Easter time or anytime. Unless you want to fatten them up and put them in a stew later on I get it. JUST KIDDING!!!!!! we all know as a fact kids will not take care of any pets eventually. Mom n dad will get stuck doing the job. So yes before buying any pet no matter what you want as a pet, we need to educate our children and especially the adult. It's ok to say "no" in life. :nonono:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I have to admit I "use" to be one of them to judge pet owners surrendering their furry friend. I was younger and learned that life can hit you with "curve balls." Or life can get in our way at times which you just cant do much about it than go with the flow. Ive seen and heard all sorts how we can judge, get mad or pissed off at owners that have to surrender their pets. We just have to remember one thing "before" we go Errrrrgggggggg, Arrrggg, :w00t:, :hmm::censored::bitching::down: well you get my drift... Most cases, is usually owners have "no" choice. Example some elders need to go in nursing homes which wont allow animals or they are too sick to take care of their fur ball, we can rescue a pet but realized the rescue shelters didn't know more on the pet than you. You bring it home and it just doesn't fit in with children or other pets which you had before getting the rescue. You cant get rid of your kids or other pets that was there before the rescue. You try for weeks, months and some for years and it can just take a tole one you. You sure dont want to endangered "anyone" in the family especially a child. Some realize they just cant afford a pet with the vet bills, feeding them because of all the allergies and so on. Or you lost your job especially these days. And yes you can get the odd ones that shouldn't get any pets period! But most of the time, there is always a sad and good reason why we have to surrender our pets. We humans need to think before judging. So that's my 2 cents worth.

Well said, Helene, thank you!

Yes, life does a great job of educating & humbling a person as it goes on.

As human beings, we are judgmental but if we are lucky, we learn that is
wrong to do. Going thru tragedies & losses is awful but it teaches us to be
compassionate and have kindness & empathy for others and to weep with
them in their losses and celebrate in their joys. We are all human beings
and the SAME under our skins with the same hopes & dreams.

I think adopting our pets out when we can no longer care for them or for
the greater good of the pack or for whatever reason FOR THE BETTERMENT
of the animal, is very loving, very courageous and such a difficult thing to do.

Same for single, human mothers deciding to give their newborns a chance for
a better life that they can't yet provide them. I can't imagine anything harder.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Well said , as you know out the 5 dogs we have here 4 are saves and have had many saves before this bunch .
I have been lucky enough to find a good rescue shelter that does what they say and really before adoption know what they are dealing with each dog , I refuse to use the SPCA due to a bulldog I got years ago , she had a puppy born on the kitchen floor 3 days after she arrive , they as they say have a vet check the animals ..... They did not know it was pregnant some vet !
I agree tho you still not know how the dog will fit in and when you have a pack of them it truly is a guess so far I have lucked out Odin and Dakota ( two males ) can get into it and fixed or not spray once and a while , work in progress .
I get more dogs from indian reserves as they breed them to make money then loose interest and decide to cull the dogs and shoot them or run them over like they did to Nelli , It cost the rescue a small fortune to fly her out and then remove her leg and shoulder , fix her and hope she survived . I got her 6 weeks after the operation to rehab her , build her up due to blood loss and get her on her 3 feet again and she was worth every single penny she truly is one of those once and a life time dogs amazing animal.
I take the giving up our animals post on a individual basis , I do not have time for people that do not want to put the effort in a rescue , if you think you are getting a normal house ready dog you a idiot they have baggage take it from Me , better yet leave your home and family go sit in a cage for however it takes for someone to notice you , you might have to go threw a few of those kinds of visits , GL with that ............ and do not kill the Kill Shelters ..........

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
My dad was one for re-homing dogs, which used to make me angry. I believe he did it to spare himself the grief of one of them dying. Now that I understand his earlier life a little better, I think I get it.

But I saw the absolutely horrible grief my daughter went through when she had to surrender a sweet little pittie because the dog was play aggressive toward my infant grandson. She tried crating the dog (she destroyed the crate), keeping the dog in another room (the dog ate through a wall and a door), drugging the dog (only worked for a few days)--you name it! The dog had always been sweet, but highly, HIGHLY energetic and separation-anxiety prone. We worked for a week trying to find someone who would take her, but no one wanted a pittie--even though a sweet one. She found a shelter about an hour from her home and called me sobbing because she had to make the decision. We donated large bags of premium dog food to them for taking her.

My other daughter was able to follow the progress of the dog and found that she had been adopted in a home with lots of kids and activity--absolutely perfect for the dog, who could run and play until she was completely worn out. We all know of dogs who have been in bad situations of abuse and neglect. We need to support people who have to make this difficult decision--or if they have to make the decision because they don't care for the animal anymore. Surrender can be best for the animal, though it doesn't feel like it at the time.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
As some of you know -- Memorial Day 2014 I became paralyzed from the waist down -- with unknown but mounting medical bills -- a very unstable financial future (Unable to work) and unknown how long I'd have health insurance -- we had to rehome our 2 babies. After 30 months, we are now stable financially and the VA picked up my care -- I could never tear away my bullies from their new happy and loving homes -- In our case, even though it was the toughest decision of our lives, it was the correct one.

We are again, proud Bully parents -- its been challenging from the Wheelchair (can you imagine a bulldog doing a Slalom between my wheels ?!?!? well she does !) --

Dont pass judgement, dont say 'Well I would do THIS' no one... absolutely NO ONE can say what they would do in any given situation -- if you think you do know how you would react, you are lying to yourselves :nonono:-- I know I would HOPE I would react a certain way... but until put into that situation -- No one knows.

:)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.