Insurance?

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
So I been browsing the forum and found no mentioned of anyone having this for their dogs I have several buddies that have bullies and say it is a must have. I agree I will have both my boys insured. Dose anyone else carry insurance on their babies? If so who do you use. Again sorry if this has already been talked about.

OP
NIZZLE

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
Guess I see it as no difference in me having heath insurance can't hurt and it will be used.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
So, we were also told insurance is highly recommended when purchasing an EBD and to get it right away so as not to fall into the "pre existing conditions" that can happen later…we opted not due to the monthly cost and what wouldn't end up being covered anyway (but we only have one bullie). Embrace and Trupanion were the ones we were suggested.

It's totally up to you, vets recommend you get it. Regardless, put $$ aside into an account just for the bullies and consider opening a "pet credit card" some vet offices offer one.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We also opted not to have insurance after my daughter's experience with it. She paid a lot every month, only to have them deny claims when she needed it the most. We have always been fortunate to be able to pay out of pocket for our dogs at the vet. The insurance seems too high a cost to us.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We also do not use insurance.... we have a credit card for vet bills only. Insurance companies get enough of my money that I never have to use (thank goodness) so we opted to just put aside

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We had insurance for our Dachshund but cancelled it after about 3 years. Increasing premiums and no return on investment, so now we have a dedicated savings account that we pay into monthly and ONLY use it for big bills. Regular vet bills, shots etc, we pay out of pocket. Monty was too old when we got him to even think about it anyway and we have paid for his surgeries out of the savings account. It works for us.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we kept Lola on insurance for 2 1/2 years and got more back than we paid in. premiums were raised significantly so we canceled at that time and kept a hefty savings account for emergencies

OP
NIZZLE

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
Thanks for all the input maybe I'll look in to some different options.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Thanks for all the input maybe I'll look in to some different options.
Options to consider…
- put aside what an insurance co. charges monthly into a savings acct. (gain interest)
- open a charge account strictly for your pet for big expenses (surgeries/ER etc…)
- inquire at your personal vet's what they can offer to break up annual/regular visits over the course of a year rather than up front

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.