Mr Mouthy

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
when we met dozer on sunday he didn't bite, but he was very mouthy with our hands. is that something to discourage? are you guys getting tired of hearing from me? lol

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
Nope love it I'm glade you get to bring him home soon.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I think it's great all your questions and you've been on here for quite sometime, your dedication to researching a bullie is very admirable and I think you'll be a great bullie owner!! You can always use the advanced search before posting as a lot of topics have been discussed over the years in threads, just type in important key word(s).

"Horsing around" w/a puppy's play-bite is something to be cautious of for future discipline and aggression issues. Teaching puppies not to bite is essential for a future well behaved dog. Lots and Lots of toys to chew, no hands, no feet, no furniture…lol

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I think it's great all your questions and you've been on here for quite sometime, your dedication to researching a bullie is very admirable and I think you'll be a great bullie owner!! You can always use the advanced search before posting as a lot of topics have been discussed over the years in threads, just type in important key word(s).

"Horsing around" w/a puppy's play-bite is something to be cautious of for future discipline and aggression issues. Teaching puppies not to bite is essential for a future well behaved dog. Lots and Lots of toys to chew, no hands, no feet, no furniture…lol

Thank you for the vote of confidence! [emoji4] Yes that is what I was thinking that it could cause problems down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I've found you can't ask too many good questions! I agree with [MENTION=10681]NewEnglandBully[/MENTION]. Any play "biting" might lead to problems later. I would substitute a toy so he can learn his limits.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We have always discouraged play biting/mouthing with our own dogs and especially the rescues. If any of them attempt to mouth a hand or foot the the appendage is withdrawn from play immediately followed with "NO Bite!" If it continues, play time is over. On rare occasion we have to introduce a spray bottle to discourage.

This is not to say that all play biting will lead to something undesirable later in life. It may not, but we cannot take that chance. Since we rescue we have to give each dog the best possible chance at being rehomed and a mouthy rescue is automatically limited to homes with no kids. Additionally, our own dogs have a lot of face to face contact working the OTR kissing booth during fund raisers and a mouthy Bully cannot work the booth.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for the vote of confidence! [emoji4] Yes that is what I was thinking that it could cause problems down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gang has you covere.... I agree, always place a toy in his mouth and if you do get some teeth... give a good NO or an ouch... they learn from that as well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.