Question to USA EBN owners about heartworm

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Dear friends, I need your expert advice. As I know, all dogs in the USA get heartworm prevention once a month. And you probably know a lot about it. I know nothing, as I come from the north Of Europe and it is not very common thing there.
At the moment we stay in China, region is with moderate climate by the sea, winters well below zero, this area is not really heartworm prone, but in general, there are some regions in China, where you can get it. And a week ago I made a blood test, which showed that Tank is heartworm free. Test I needed, because if the dog is heartworm positive, Chinese quarantine bureau wouldn't give us exit permit. So, everything looks good at the moment. But in Beijing clinic where we made the test, they gave us Heartguard tablets and said that we should start prophylactic treatment once a month now, they say just in case.
So, my question is : heartworm is mosquito transmitted disease, I can say for sure, that at the moment there are no mosquitos around, temperature is around 0 Celsius and will drop soon to minus. Is it necessary to start prophylaxis right now, in winter, or could I wait till warmer months? TAnk is just recovering his fur after severe allergy, so if there is no real probability to get heartworm in winter, I wouldn't like to give him tablets right now. Because if he loses fur and doesn't look healthy, freaking Chinese won't grant him exit permit.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
this is tough, because heartworm is so easy to prevent and impossible (?) to treat. that being said, in new england where the winter is COLD, we only give heartworm prevention chews in the fall/summer/spring. My dogs (also allergy prone) do not have reactions to the chew we give. others will chime in...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
30yrs ago I use to breed Dobermans. My male had worms. And man dud he ever. So he got treated and back then the vet whom was very well known throughout Canada for ear trimming...anyway he said to me NEVER have your dog smell other dog's poop., ive owned other dogs since then and never had issues of worms till ladt week with Nyala. Man was I ticked off. When I walk her she always walk to my left and never on grass side. She goes to the dog park and never loose. She walks on the leash beside me. Only a smaller fenced dog park in the main dog park I let her free. Never once ive seen her stop n smell. She just runs after her ball. Well dog parks are off my list for good. I dont plan on giving her yearly meds for worms. So she got her first treatment and in 2 weeks she gets a 2nd one. Vet said in Canada since it's cold especially here in alberta winters comes a lot earlier is no need. Just not tp let her smell other's poop. Sometimes people pick up the poop but the eggsvstays on the grass. It's like flip the coin.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Heartworms are not the same as intestinal worms. They have nothing to do with the poop. They are transmitted to blood by mosquito,which are called microfilarae,which travel through the bloodstream to the heart, where they mature in worms-thus called heartworms. They eventually,if left untreated choke the heart and it will explode-resulting in death. [MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] Perhaps heartworm preventative is required by Chinese quarentine bureau for exit visa? If not, and weather is cold, you can wait until spring to give him the pill.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Heartworms are not the same as intestinal worms. They have nothing to do with the poop. They are transmitted to blood by mosquito,which are called microfilarae,which travel through the bloodstream to the heart, where they mature in worms-thus called heartworms. They eventually,if left untreated choke the heart and it will explode-resulting in death. @Lalaloopsie Perhaps heartworm preventative is required by Chinese quarentine bureau for exit visa? If not, and weather is cold, you can wait until spring to give him the pill.

Agreed

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Heartworms are not the same as intestinal worms. They have nothing to do with the poop. They are transmitted to blood by mosquito,which are called microfilarae,which travel through the bloodstream to the heart, where they mature in worms-thus called heartworms. They eventually,if left untreated choke the heart and it will explode-resulting in death. [MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] Perhaps heartworm preventative is required by Chinese quarentine bureau for exit visa? If not, and weather is cold, you can wait until spring to give him the pill.
Lol I miss read. Holy cow teach me to relax and have a glass of wine. Geez no more poop or glass of wine lol

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
My opinion is being careful now with one small tablet a month is better than being sorry as its a painful death which need not happen

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
My opinion is being careful now with one small tablet a month is better than being sorry as its a painful death which need not happen

My kids have had several dogs (rescues) with heart worms. My son's dog contracted heart worms when he lived by the Mississippi River after a brief period off of Heartguard. The treatment is horrible. I remember talking to my daughter on the phone, hearing her Basset moan in pain. The disease AND the treatment can cause death. I would not hesitate to give the preventative to your Tank to keep him from going through this.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Once you start the pill you can't stop for the weather it's an ongoing thing otherwise they need to be retested before starting again it costs us approx $10 a month best investment ever, I saw my friends dog go through this as they were too tight to spend the money well did their poor dog suffer I would never want to see another one suffer and defiantly not one of my babies.
Here in Australia we also have a yearly needle instead of the monthly pill FTSE used to have this but now that we have the problem of taking FTSE to the vet it's just better for him to take the pill and he just takes it and eats it like a treat he loves getting them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would not chance it, if you want that exit permit, it is best to give the pill... I give them all year long cause you never know when those pests will be able to out do the weather

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
If it was me, I would start the Heartworm preventative now. I started Chumly on it 3 months before leaving the UK (and he had severe allergies) and as far as I know, Heartworm disease is unknown in the UK. Of course, I was bringing him to Heartworm Central, USA, so I wanted to make sure he was well and truly protected before he got here. If they suggested you start on it now, I would take their advice.

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
START IT, start it, START IT!!! Living in the Midwest USA my vet said to keep Colossus on his year round (at the time I was Mar to Nov). We have since moved to Phoenix, they dont test for it here. That said, Colossus still gets his "treat" on the 7th of EVERY month. He goes crazy for it, absolutely loves it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.