Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Default Food question

So, I had to change the babies food. They were on TOTW Pine forest recipe. But it seemed like all at once, they both were getting hotspots on their face and Lockjaw was scratching himself raw.
    I didn't use anything new in the house either.
    I changed to Zignature Salmon, and now Kangaroo.
    They've been on zignature for Almost a month now.
    I had to get Apoquel for Lockjaws scratching. It was 2x's a day- now once a day.
    How long do u think it will be before the old food is completely out of their system?
    I've tried skipping a day with the Apoquel and he still scratches. While not near as often as before.
    I just hate giving him meds. But I also hate seeing him scratch himself raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

Mommy of Lockjaw and Penny

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Food question

Any chance the issue is environmental and not food?

usually takes about a month for old food to be fully gone
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

3. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post
    Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

up to 8 weeks

"Unequivocally the Sweetest"

5. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Corine Pesantes's Avatar
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Any chance the issue is environmental and not food?

usually takes about a month for old food to be fully gone
    I don't think so. Especially since it's been cooler here (North Carolina). I've never had environmental issues before- no law scratching /licking. Only th face.

"Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Corine Pesantes View Post
    I don't think so. Especially since it's been cooler here (North Carolina). I've never had environmental issues before- no law scratching /licking. Only th face.

What is the protein in their current kibble? Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken and salmon, and even beef.
    I've had to switch Dozers food so many times due to his allergies to several proteins like chicken, salmon, beef, lamb, rabbit and kangaroo. He is currently on a Vegan kibble and a Venison and I alternate between the two to try to avoid him becoming sensitive to them.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    What is the protein in their current kibble? Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken and salmon, and even beef.
    I've had to switch Dozers food so many times due to his allergies to several proteins like chicken, salmon, beef, lamb, rabbit and kangaroo. He is currently on a Vegan kibble and a Venison and I alternate between the two to try to avoid him becoming sensitive to them.
    Currently it's Zignature Kangaroo. I don't give them anything with chicken or potatoes due to Penny's sensitivity to it.
    TOTW was venison and lamb. (Which they did great on for about 5/6 months) We tried Zignature Salmon, but that didn't seem to help at all. I'm seeing progress with the Kangaroo. This is week 2 on the Kangaroo. So, I'm trying to give it a little time. Then the plan is to rotate through other proteins. I think that was my mistake initially.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Corine Pesantes View Post
    Currently it's Zignature Kangaroo. I don't give them anything with chicken or potatoes due to Penny's sensitivity to it.
    TOTW was venison and lamb. (Which they did great on for about 5/6 months) We tried Zignature Salmon, but that didn't seem to help at all. I'm seeing progress with the Kangaroo. This is week 2 on the Kangaroo. So, I'm trying to give it a little time. Then the plan is to rotate through other proteins. I think that was my mistake initially.

I tried the Novel proteins rabbit and Kangaroo, but the rabbit was the worst, I think chicken and rabbit have similar protein, so he reacted the same way, I honestly didn't give the kangaroo a chance, because I couldn't stand the smell of it, lol. Plus it gave Dozer black poops, and his poop smelled really bad too. It sounds like you are having the same problem that I am having with Dozer, he does okay with a food or protein for a few months, and then he develops an allergy. We are currently feeding him a half Vegan diet, and half venison. I hope he continues to tolerate it.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    I tried the Novel proteins rabbit and Kangaroo, but the rabbit was the worst, I think chicken and rabbit have similar protein, so he reacted the same way, I honestly didn't give the kangaroo a chance, because I couldn't stand the smell of it, lol. Plus it gave Dozer black poops, and his poop smelled really bad too. It sounds like you are having the same problem that I am having with Dozer, he does okay with a food or protein for a few months, and then he develops an allergy. We are currently feeding him a half Vegan diet, and half venison. I hope he continues to tolerate it.
    Good to know about the rabbit.
    I haven't had any issues like that with the Kangaroo. Stools are solid, a little darker, but no issues with gas.
    I'm trying to keep them on the same food- but I may have to feed them different foods. I'm also trying to find something that I won't go broke on every month. Lol
    The struggle! Lol

12. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post

Remove Ads