Food question

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
So, I had to change the babies food. They were on TOTW Pine forest recipe. But it seemed like all at once, they both were getting hotspots on their face and Lockjaw was scratching himself raw.
I didn't use anything new in the house either.
I changed to Zignature Salmon, and now Kangaroo.
They've been on zignature for Almost a month now.
I had to get Apoquel for Lockjaws scratching. It was 2x's a day- now once a day.
How long do u think it will be before the old food is completely out of their system?
I've tried skipping a day with the Apoquel and he still scratches. While not near as often as before.
I just hate giving him meds. But I also hate seeing him scratch himself raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Any chance the issue is environmental and not food?

usually takes about a month for old food to be fully gone

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Any chance the issue is environmental and not food?

usually takes about a month for old food to be fully gone

I don't think so. Especially since it's been cooler here (North Carolina). I've never had environmental issues before- no law scratching /licking. Only th face.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't think so. Especially since it's been cooler here (North Carolina). I've never had environmental issues before- no law scratching /licking. Only th face.

What is the protein in their current kibble? Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken and salmon, and even beef.
I've had to switch Dozers food so many times due to his allergies to several proteins like chicken, salmon, beef, lamb, rabbit and kangaroo. He is currently on a Vegan kibble and a Venison and I alternate between the two to try to avoid him becoming sensitive to them.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
What is the protein in their current kibble? Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken and salmon, and even beef.
I've had to switch Dozers food so many times due to his allergies to several proteins like chicken, salmon, beef, lamb, rabbit and kangaroo. He is currently on a Vegan kibble and a Venison and I alternate between the two to try to avoid him becoming sensitive to them.

Currently it's Zignature Kangaroo. I don't give them anything with chicken or potatoes due to Penny's sensitivity to it.
TOTW was venison and lamb. (Which they did great on for about 5/6 months) We tried Zignature Salmon, but that didn't seem to help at all. I'm seeing progress with the Kangaroo. This is week 2 on the Kangaroo. So, I'm trying to give it a little time. Then the plan is to rotate through other proteins. I think that was my mistake initially.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Currently it's Zignature Kangaroo. I don't give them anything with chicken or potatoes due to Penny's sensitivity to it.
TOTW was venison and lamb. (Which they did great on for about 5/6 months) We tried Zignature Salmon, but that didn't seem to help at all. I'm seeing progress with the Kangaroo. This is week 2 on the Kangaroo. So, I'm trying to give it a little time. Then the plan is to rotate through other proteins. I think that was my mistake initially.

I tried the Novel proteins rabbit and Kangaroo, but the rabbit was the worst, I think chicken and rabbit have similar protein, so he reacted the same way, I honestly didn't give the kangaroo a chance, because I couldn't stand the smell of it, lol. Plus it gave Dozer black poops, and his poop smelled really bad too. It sounds like you are having the same problem that I am having with Dozer, he does okay with a food or protein for a few months, and then he develops an allergy. We are currently feeding him a half Vegan diet, and half venison. I hope he continues to tolerate it.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I tried the Novel proteins rabbit and Kangaroo, but the rabbit was the worst, I think chicken and rabbit have similar protein, so he reacted the same way, I honestly didn't give the kangaroo a chance, because I couldn't stand the smell of it, lol. Plus it gave Dozer black poops, and his poop smelled really bad too. It sounds like you are having the same problem that I am having with Dozer, he does okay with a food or protein for a few months, and then he develops an allergy. We are currently feeding him a half Vegan diet, and half venison. I hope he continues to tolerate it.

Good to know about the rabbit.
I haven't had any issues like that with the Kangaroo. Stools are solid, a little darker, but no issues with gas.
I'm trying to keep them on the same food- but I may have to feed them different foods. I'm also trying to find something that I won't go broke on every month. Lol
The struggle! Lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.