and she just turned 4months old. That wasn't even that big
of a deal but it has been less than 2 weeks and she already
acts like it needs to be done again.

I'm not sure if Fromm will help any with this at all but I
figure it can't hurt. I wanted to put her on Fromm from
the get go,but I have to order it. This just gave me the extra
push to go ahead and do it. Anyother advise on the glands would
be great. I know many have told me that its just something
that happens to some dogs. But seriously every 2 weeks?
Other than that Jozi is doing great.

Oh and I bought Fromm Duck and Sweet Potato. So we are going
from grain free to has grain. Hope I'm not making a big mistake.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If she has no allergies the grains won't hurt her a bit.

I do think it helps if the poos are harder, but I cannot be certain. So fromm should help with that. You should ask [MENTION=355]gatorfan85[/MENTION] she has learned so much about anal glands with Mr. Beefy.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
We love Fromm :) I may have to change protein sources next bag because Im still not certain that Chaos doesn't have a chicken allergy because he still appears slightly pink occasionally. We will see, but you should definately be happy with this food

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I recently just took Truman off puppy food (which had grain in it) to a totally grain free diet. I will say that the food with grain produced larger stools and, since pressure from the stool is one way anal glands are expressed, I definitely think it's worth a try. I would just watch for itchy ears, paws, or other allergy problems during the switch.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I have had Bear on Fromm since he was about Jozi's age. He gets the Surf n Turf which I think is grain free I'd have to look it up. He does great on it and I've had no problems with him health wise thus far. I think the anal gland issue just happens to some dogs. I have kept my eye on Bear and don't know if its the food or just the fact that he doesn't have that problem yet. His stools look firm to me and that, from what i've read helps. And yes please more photos.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
You might want to think about adding a tablespoon of canned pumpkin to her food to..that will definitely firm her :poo: up and help with the anal gland issue. You might want to have the vet show you how to do it yourself so you wouldn't have to take her to the vet.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I don't have any problems with the anal glands (yet - and hopefully never will). I can only repeat what everybody else has put on here. Bigger and firmer stools can help to express the glands naturally, but I believe some dogs just need to have it done no matter what you feed them. There is no harm in adding the pumpkin, and switching to Fromm. I think Maggie has developed an allergy to chicken after she had a bad reaction with smelly face, tear stains and interdigital cysts whilst she was on the fromm chicken. I'm saying "I think" because it cleared up when we switched back to the salmon, and I'm not about to test it by trying the chicken again!!! I would think that Jozi is too young to have allergies yet. I always thought that they developed when the dog got older - so a switch to something with grain in it shouldn't really affect her.

I :heart: Fromm, as do a lot of people on here, so let's hope Jozi does too. My two love the duck & sweet potato!!

OP
bfletch13

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
[MENTION=1652]Angelgirl[/MENTION] Thanks but no thanks I'll take her to have it done.
Call me what you want but no way am I doing that. LOL

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I am a believer that food has nothing to do with anal glands, Vegas eats Nature's Variety grain/gluten free Salmon, his poop is hard as rocks and is normal amount, he does get canned pumpkin, veggies, fruits for his snacks and STILL has to have his glands done by the VET, not me! about every 4-5 weeks, some dogs just have to have it done while other's don't.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
[MENTION=1652]Angelgirl[/MENTION] Thanks but no thanks I'll take her to have it done.
Call me what you want but no way am I doing that. LOL

Lol! I don't blame you :) Our vet was going to show us on Cassie, but I declined. Dog groomers will usually do it also.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
sorry i am replying late i have been super busy with crossposting shelter dogs, Beefy has anal gland issues which they were so bad when we got him even though his glands are good now he is going to need one of them removed because he was not getting a proper diet for his needs in his 5 years of life before he came to us. I tried EVERYTHING, blue, diamond, fromm, evo,petcurrian, by nature and none of them had him firm enough. Finally i went to natures logic Beef, its high in protein and fiber I also add yamms to each meal and a probiotic enzyte now he has firm poo but becuase his poo was soft for so long one of his anal glands was infected when i got him and it just wont heal properly. Its sooooo important for dogs with digestive issues to have firm stool or this will happen. Hope this helps

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=1621]bfletch13[/MENTION] how is Jozie?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Where are anal glands located. BEFORE you call me a dumbaxx, I mean are they where you can feel them from the outside or do you have to stick your finger into the dogs butt to feel them. How are they expressed? Curious!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online