Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Poor guy? I think not. He's getting a new home...how is that not a great thing? He'll get used to his new life/environment quickly.

Rules, rules, rules...

Make sure he is crated when you are not home.

Crate him over night. Be aware of his crate bedding. If he destroys it then let him sleep in a bare crate or try a Kuranda Bed inside the crate.

If he poops or pees in his crate multiple times then reduce the size of the crate.

Do not become alarmed if he does not eat for the first day or so. Many dogs that find themselves in a new environment do not eat right away. Dozer will eventually eat. I promise you that there has never been a documented case of a Bulldog that starved to death because they did not like the food presented to them.

Just because his breeder has been feeding him XYZ food does not mean that that is a suitable food for him. No wheat, no corn, no soy. Feed him the best you can get. If you want help with food selection you'll get a lot of help right here.

Expect Dozer's stool to be a little loose the first few days. If it's not then that's a bonus.

Feed him at regular intervals. Place the food on the floor or in the crate and give him 15 minutes to eat and then remove it. Do the same thing at every mealtime. He will eventually figure things out.

Keep him on a regular schedule, YOUR schedule. Do not allow him to dictate when he goes out, when he goes to bed, where he goes to bed, when he eats, or what furniture he camps out on. To start off, I would not allow him on ANY furniture. He needs to earn that privilege.

These are rules that have worked for us for many years and for many, many Bulldogs. Most ANY Bulldog will take over your home if allowed to do so. Create rules and live by them. You will all be happier.

Oh yeah, the best remedy for whining is earplugs...for you, not Dozer. Your whining will probably have little or no effect on his quality of life.

Good luck, have fun!

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Poor guy? I think not. He's getting a new home...how is that not a great thing? He'll get used to his new life/environment quickly.

Rules, rules, rules...

Crate him over night. Be aware of his crate bedding. If he destroys it then let him sleep in a bare crate or try a Kuranda Bed inside the crate.

If he poops or pees in his crate multiple times then reduce the size of the crate.

Do not become alarmed if he does not eat for the first day or so. Many dogs that find themselves in a new environment do not eat right away. Dozer will eventually eat. I promise you that there has never been a documented case of a Bulldog that starved to death because they did not like the food presented to them.

Just because his breeder has been feeding him XYZ food does not mean that that is a suitable food for him. No wheat, no corn, no soy. Feed him the best you can get. If you want help with food selection you'll get a lot of help right here.

Expect Dozer's stool to be a little loose the first few days. If it's not then that's a bonus.

Feed him at regular intervals. Place the food on the floor or in the crate and give him 15 minutes to eat and then remove it. Do the same thing at every mealtime. He will eventually figure things out.

Keep him on a regular schedule, YOUR schedule. Do not allow him to dictate when he goes out, when he goes to bed, where he goes to bed, when he eats, or what furniture he camps out on. To start off, I would not allow him on ANY furniture. He needs to earn that privilege.

These are rules that have worked for us for many years and for many, many Bulldogs. Most ANY Bulldog will take over your home if allowed to do so. Create rules and live by them. You will all be happier.

Oh yeah, the best remedy for whining is earplugs...for you, not Dozer. Your whining will probably have little or no effect on his quality of life.

Good luck, have fun!

Thank you so much [emoji1317]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Only suggestion I can give you is.....get both! :yes:
Great rules above!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Rules, rules, rules...

Good luck, have fun!

Awesome post!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww they are so cute. They look like my Bulldozer (Dozer and Blossom). They have similar colouring. I did what helsonwheels suggested and brought both my guys home. They are siblings and litter mates. Chip gave you lots of great advice as well, lots of good suggestions. You can also place his crate at the end of your bed or beside your bed, if he whines, or place one of your t-shirts or a sweat shirt with him in the crate, just make sure he's not a chewer or a textile eater. My Dozer loves to eat towels, pillows, blankets, stuffed animals, so he can't have any of these things. His favourite is sweat socks. Lol It may take him a few days to get used to his new home and surroundings, just give him the time and patience and he will quickly adjust. Let him explore for the first few days, let him sniff around and keep him on a schedule and routine and he will be fine. Enjoy, and please share lots of pictures.

Here are my guys Dozer and Blossom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 53
OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Aww they are so cute. They look like my Bulldozer (Dozer and Blossom). They have similar colouring. I did what helsonwheels urges tin and brought both my guys home. They are siblings and litter mates. Chip gave you lots of great advice as well, lots of good suggestions. You can also place his crate at the end of your bed or beside your bed, if he whines, or place one of your t-shirts or a sweat shirt with him in the crate, just make sure he's not a chewer or a textile eater. My Dozer loves to,eat towels, pillows, blankets, stuffed animals, so he can't have any of these things. His favourite is sweat socks. Lol It may take him a few days to get used to his new home and surroundings, just give him the time and patience and he will quickly adjust. Let him explore for the first few days, let him sniff around and keep him on a schedule and routine and he will be fine. Enjoy, and please share lots of pictures.

Thank you!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Great stuff here and again congratulations... And my first thought to your question was..... These guys are so people orientated that to me (although I only have one) they love their people more than anything in the world. Going to be fun to watch :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
My advice is spend as much time with him as possible to establish a strong attachment. Puppyproof your house, take him out more often than you think and make sure he knows you are there for him! I think the advice you got is excellent, although I don't think crating is needed (here, crating is against the law so for me putting a dog in a closed cage in the house is a total no no). If he cries at night, talk to him in a soothing voice and make him comfortable - just like you would to a baby.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.