help!!! what to do when you want to 'win' ... or, bully your bulldog

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Ok, I've always been known to be super patient, and I do think I have an exceptional Bulldog, as far as he loves to please me. BUT! there are times he just wants what he wants and I'm not used to that.. :eek: Like, mostly he'll happily go up the steps and strait into the kennel for a drive. Occasionally, he'll just stop and act like he doesn't know what to do when he gets to the kennel and I have heave hoed and in he goes. :ashamed: USUALLY, I would work with getting him in calmly, but I'm finding I'm sometimes surprising myself with this 'it's you or me buddy' trip, and I don't care for itl AND I know it gets me no where in the long run... Sooooooooooooooo, What do you all do to keep from just sometimes 'wanting YOUR way' now?? The great part of this is,,,,,,,,,,, 98% of the time I laugh and love all he does, but what about that 2%.... Am I runining him and I better shape up! or do I get a pass once in a while as well?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Lolll you're doomed..... you better shape up.

You know this is how I see it. Raising pups is like raising children. You give them one inch they take a foot. Yes of course we crack up and laugh and love but that 2% is the testing part. 2% can become 50%. Nothing is wrong with it but it's you to know when it's not funny anymore. Like a child, you discipline them, they hate you, they test you, they hate our gust but the day they are grown up, they appreciate use more!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Ok, I've always been known to be super patient, and I do think I have an exceptional Bulldog, as far as he loves to please me. BUT! there are times he just wants what he wants and I'm not used to that.. :eek: Like, mostly he'll happily go up the steps and strait into the kennel for a drive. Occasionally, he'll just stop and act like he doesn't know what to do when he gets to the kennel and I have heave hoed and in he goes. :ashamed: USUALLY, I would work with getting him in calmly, but I'm finding I'm sometimes surprising myself with this 'it's you or me buddy' trip, and I don't care for itl AND I know it gets me no where in the long run... Sooooooooooooooo, What do you all do to keep from just sometimes 'wanting YOUR way' now?? The great part of this is,,,,,,,,,,, 98% of the time I laugh and love all he does, but what about that 2%.... Am I runining him and I better shape up! or do I get a pass once in a while as well?

Hi, I always carry a couple of pieces of their kibble either in my pocket, or I keep a couple in a container on top of their crates for times like these. They do want to please us, but they are also Bullies, and can be stubborn at times, and will only come or do what we want when they feel like it lol. When this happens, I will put a piece of their kibble in the crate and then they will willingly go in with no problems. They are so food motivated. Lol, or if we are out on a walk and I want them to sit, stay, or in Bulldozers case, he doesn't like to walk, I "bribe" them with a piece of kibble, and they will do what I ask. Lol. I will also praise them and give them a pat or rub on the head and tell them how good they are. A treat and praising always works, and they then learn to associate obeying with a reward and will do what you want. I like using a pice of their kibble, because it is small and won't cause extra calories, and they are used to eating it, so you know they won't have a reaction to it like they may with a treat, plus you don't have to buy any extra treats. Works every time.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
From time to time you need to renew what your dog learnt long ago. It is neurophysiology- if conditioned response isn't reinforced from time to time with food, it slowly fades. E.g., long ago you taught him to go into the crate with rewards. And you think Ok, now he knows that when I say this word, he goes there. But with time if you not train your dog (with treats, of course), the responce fades and his own ideas what he wants to do become dominating.
So, I would recommend you to take problem situations ( crate, car) and just train him again with treats and lots of appraisal. And repeat treat reinforced training from time to time. So, he always has a pleasant anticipation- "I am going to get a treat". Sometimes he gets, sometimes not...:D
Btw, service dogs also work for treats, despite many people romanticise them.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I don't mean to laugh…yes I do :lol:

Just picturing what you described made me smile and lol. I think it's one of those things about bullies that I love the most…that said, I have a stubborn boy who is "slightly" spoiled and have to manipulate the situation at times when it can't go "his way".

In agreement w/Monica a treat/toy goes pretty far along w/praise too!! Some trainers don't agree w/this method, but then again, some trainers aren't too familiar w/the hysterical challenges of an English Bulldog. Warning: sometimes forcing a bullie to do something they don't want to do may result in a grudge being held or acting out later. I suggest taking Hank to the store to pick out a favorite toy and offering that toy when it's kennel/crate/car time (especially if it makes a noise, that trains instantly!) They make some pretty hefty squeak toys where you don't have to worry about choking hazards (check out the JW iSqueak rubber football) :yes:
One squeak of that toy and I bet he'll be running toward his kennel for "HIM TIME" w/his toy…just a suggestion, good luck and hang in there that 2% remind yourself it really is just their nature.

May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Oh boy, I'm dealing with this big time and fairly often. Dozer is a bit over 7 months and is really good overall, no problem with bathroom training or tearing things up, etc. He gets along great with everybody and everything, however he does like to "play" the power struggle game with me and my wife. Dozer is great about letting us know when he needs to go outside, he will sit by the door we most often go out of.

If we don't see him, he will come and get us and notify with a distinct bark he has business that needs to be done. The problem is he REALLY enjoys being outside, like every chance he gets (especially if the sun is shining) :sunny:

He will often end a bathroom trip or a walk with a sudden flop right smack dab in the middle of a golden, warm sun ray. He is smart enough now to mix up times to "fake" bathroom trips just to go outside, once he gets there and I call his bluff you should see the faces. Sometimes I can talk him in or convince him to come with a treat, but probably half the time I have to go pick him up to all 4 legs by the scruff and my other hand under his belly (he does this playful, fighting turtle thing). I'll then guide him in the direction we're going or sometimes have to walk with a hand on his harness if he is being really difficult (I love when that happens because I'm 6'2" and have bad balance due to an autoimmune disease). I knew to anticipate this kind of behavior from doing a lot of reading up about EBD's, part of the package - gotta love 'em.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
omg I cant tell you all how I laughed, and learned right here :) Soooooooooooo wonderful to have you 'bully' people to help along the way :) I appreciate these so very much. And I do understand a possible backlash if I just 'bully' him.. I got a look that said so!! I have gotton ok with discipline and thankfully understand that at times it is needed. (and it worked quick with the marking) Now It's working on the bf getting him to realize that some rules I wish to be followed ;) ( sneaking food under the table is a NO NO ) Are for our and his own good in the future... I will remember to carry treats/kibble with me and when I feel the urge to 'win' (and it's safe to to so), I will use encouragement instead of the old push and I push. Go back to the start on some things and reinforce :) All good stuff.... Thanks again !

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Oh boy, I'm dealing with this big time and fairly often. Dozer is a bit over 7 months and is really good overall, no problem with bathroom training or tearing things up, etc. He gets along great with everybody and everything, however he does like to "play" the power struggle game with me and my wife. Dozer is great about letting us know when he needs to go outside, he will sit by the door we most often go out of.

If we don't see him, he will come and get us and notify with a distinct bark he has business that needs to be done. The problem is he REALLY enjoys being outside, like every chance he gets (especially if the sun is shining) :sunny:

He will often end a bathroom trip or a walk with a sudden flop right smack dab in the middle of a golden, warm sun ray. He is smart enough now to mix up times to "fake" bathroom trips just to go outside, once he gets there and I call his bluff you should see the faces. Sometimes I can talk him in or convince him to come with a treat; but probably half the time I have to go pick him up to all 4 legs by the scruff and my other hand under his belly (he does this playful, fighting turtle thing). I'll then guide him in the direction we're going or sometimes have to walk with a hand on his harness if he is being really difficult (I love when that happens because I'm 6'2" and have bad balance due to an autoimmune disease). I knew to anticipate this kind of behavior from doing a lot of reading up about EBD's, part of the package - gotta love 'em.
Oh goodness!! I'm 5'7 and have a bit of vertigo often and ohhhhhhhhhh how I love that leaning over to 'encourage' just another step... we do the 'wheelbarrow' thing occasionally when he decides he wants to go 'out' at midnight but gets to the door and
changes his mind... Gosh their little darlings aren't they! Never seen anything like um!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Oh I know about that walking with the harness thing! Oh my back! Talk about stubborn...............................:faint::facepalm2:

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Oh I know about that walking with the harness thing! Oh my back! Talk about stubborn...............................:faint::facepalm2:

haha,,, we call hanks julies k9 harness his "flight suit'" as we use it to hoist him up and down stairs or into our arms (not so much arms anymore,,, getting too heavy) or wherever we need to move him gracefully..HA ! through a stubborn moment...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
haha,,, we call hanks julies k9 harness his "flight suit'" as we use it to hoist him up and down stairs or into our arms (not so much arms anymore,,, getting too heavy) or wherever we need to move him gracefully..HA ! through a stubborn moment...

Hanks "flight suit!":ROFL::laugh:That's a good one!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep -- reinforce the training and treats, treats treats --- it is not a bad thing, it is positive reinforcement.

Also, if he is at the ago of 8-12 months --- toddler time and he will be testing the waters

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Yep,,, 9month old! so sweet but showen his "age" for sure!!!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
This post made me laugh so hard! I had two bullmastiffs who were fed in their crates. Norton was a 150-pound pushover and Trixie (Honeymooner's theme names) was a 145-pound, grade-A, number-1 bitch. If we hadn't fed them separately, he would have starved while she guarded her food and ate his. Their crates were in our basement. If left uncrated while we weren't there, they could have eaten or destroyed a good portion of our house. They destroyed an 8-foot sofa once. When we needed them to go in their crates they each got half a slice of American cheese. If I said, "Go to your rooms!", they would body slam each other trying to get down the stairs first. I would find them standing in their crates, staring out at me, waiting for their cheese. These were the two most loving, stubborn, but amusing dogs I have ever owned. Cheese works wonders.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
This post made me laugh so hard! I had two bullmastiffs who were fed in their crates. Norton was a 150-pound pushover and Trixie (Honeymooner's theme names) was a 145-pound, grade-A, number-1 bitch. If we hadn't fed them separately, he would have starved while she guarded her food and ate his. Their crates were in our basement. If left uncrated while we weren't there, they could have eaten or destroyed a good portion of our house. They destroyed an 8-foot sofa once. When we needed them to go in their crates they each got half a slice of American cheese. If I said, "Go to your rooms!", they would body slam each other trying to get down the stairs first. I would find them standing in their crates, staring out at me, waiting for their cheese. These were the two most loving, stubborn, but amusing dogs I have ever owned. Cheese works wonders.

I LOVE hearing these stories....I get such laughs out of the loveliness of dogs :) We are so blessed to be "dog" people aren't we :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online