chewing on sticks/branches

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
is it ok for bulldogs to do this? i've seen pics of bulldogs doing it, but i would worry it would splinter off or something. I tend to worry :X

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I try not to let mine do it. He could easily ingest splinters that could lead to blockage or tears in the gastrointestinal tract.

I would suggest elk antlers. Deer are too soft. I do not personally give mine antlers because he likes to chew hard.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
yah, that's what i would be worried about also. thanks for the elk antler suggestion :)

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I would also advise against it, I'm pretty sure Murray ate a leaf a couple of weeks ago and I had to feed him bland for a week after. He's better now but I'm definitely keeping a closer eye on what he's chewing and sniffing around at when we're outside

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I would also advise against it, I'm pretty sure Murray ate a leaf a couple of weeks ago and I had to feed him bland for a week after. He's better now but I'm definitely keeping a closer eye on what he's chewing and sniffing around at when we're outside

Oh wow just a leaf [emoji261]? Yah I guess we really need to watch them [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Mine eats leaves, acorns, or sticks if I am not careful. I have had him barf up stick fragments when we hadn't seen him chewing on any in a week. Mine is an idiot and we need to be ever vigilant.

- - - Updated - - -

yah, that's what i would be worried about also. thanks for the elk antler suggestion :)

Actually I think moose is supposed to be better. Just no deer as it is softer and will fragment.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, not good for them, can cause major digestive problems.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Some dogs like to chew on sticks, Castor being one of them. He's actually more interested in sticks and grass than in bones or antlers. I normally don't let him chem on sticks like this one but he looked so proud having found this big stick and having hopped up on the fountain ledge.

IMG_3751.JPG

IMG_2926.JPG

And to answer your question, no, it's probably not ok. Castor doesn't digest sticks very well and will sometimes throw up afterwards.

Last edited:

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
Unfortunately mine are like little vacuum cleaners when we go for walks.... acorns, sticks, dirt, rocks.. ect.. it is a royal pain in the @#$@!
Vader has got ahold of something that I missed :detective2:and his poo has been off. :bad: ... recent storms and I am pretty sure he got a pecan husk and maybe a whole pecan. They have plenty of chew things, but prefer the crate mats. :tapfoot:

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Its is rare that I take Chunky out for a walk that I don't have to take something from his mouth. Without breaking his stride he will grab limbs off bushes, pieces of mulch and grass and keep walking.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Some dogs like to chew on sticks, Castor being one of them. He's actually more interested in sticks and grass than in bones or antlers. I normally don't let him chem on sticks like this one but he looked so proud having found this big stick and having hopped up on the fountain ledge.

View attachment 102397

View attachment 102398

And to answer your question, no, it's probably not ok. Castor doesn't digest sticks very well and will sometimes throw up afterwards.

There's not much sticks here kinda like Texas. But my GS ate branch like in you photo and nothing has ever happened.

BTW do you know Castor in french means beaver? Well there is your answer for your photos :lmaogirl:

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh boy I love reading here... Yes, Hank has his face in the brush and pulls sticks constantly.. It seems the only time he'll sit and chew anything (except cardboard boxes) for any length of time is if I am sitting with him. He has free range of house and outside and when I'm out with him, he's searching for sticks, but when I watch from the window, he acts board with the whole stick thing luckily.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I never leave Tank unattended, as he always tries to eat sticks, stones etc. When he was a baby, he chewed wooden step, while silly mom left him unattended vacuuming around and hearing nothing. And "luckily" 3-4 days after this accident he got sick with parvovirus. I say luckily, because when he vomited many times, I found in one pile of vomit an egg size bunch of super sharp splinters!!! They were from that chewed step! It was hard to believe, that someone so small could swallow that sharp big object! How it could pass through his esophagus, I wonder. But dogs cannot spit, if they started swallowing something, they cannot stop. If not parvovirus which helped him to vomit it out, those splinters would cause blockage and tears, that's for sure.

So, now I always keep eye on him. And I had even to stop giving him treats long before he developed allergy, because this little crocodile already tried to choke several times. He just tries to swallow everything.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
BTW do you know Castor in french means beaver? Well there is your answer for your photos :lmaogirl:

Oh, yes - we actually named him after one :D! One of our children's book favourite characters is called Castor. Castor the book character (who is called Harvey in English translations...) is a very nice guy so that is why we thought it a good name. And with our Castor's paddle tail and love for chewing sticks too the name turned out to be perfect!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau has to be watched as well.. he will eat anything he is able to chew. Cheli is just into eating grass no sticks

We but moose antlers as the boys are more interested in those than the deer... the split antlers are the soft messy ones which I would not recommend. Raw marrow are their all time favorite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.