Questions about Buying a Puppy: Costs, Contract, Spay/Neuter

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
So we are considering getting another puppy next summer. I have been looking to adopt a dog for awhile, but I just don't think it will happen and I want to get another while mine is still young. I didn't necessarily want a puppy, but I want to match his exercise needs and size.

I had some questions about buying a puppy.

I got Fezzik from a breeder in New York. They were recommended by the Bulldog Club of America and have been breeding for many years and are a breeder of merit. That being said, I'm not sure if my experience was normal. I didn't get asked very many questions and there wasn't a home visit. There also was no contract per say, but a bill of sale and transferring of AKC papers. There was no spay/nueter requirement. He was the "pet quality/price" of his litter. I did not see the parents, because they lived in other states (some with other breeders). Overall, besides allergies his health has been great.

So I don't think I would mind going to the same breeder, but I am just wondering how normal/abnormal my experience was. So please tell me about your experience.

Also, if you can say here or message me, I am wondering about cost. What have other's paid for a puppy?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My first experience was like an interrogation... the breeder has us on the phone for a good hour with asking us questions and we asking her questions. She would not sell to us till she met us and us the pup. It freaked us out at first, but knowing all I know now -- it was awesome. We returned to her for our next two babies... outside of allergies and arthritis , they have been great. Well, Banks was a beeotch, but it was that was her personality :luv:

We paid between $1800-2400 for them, each was a different price for different reasons

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It does sound fishy, they did not question you much, and they did not have the sire or dam on location. Sounds almost like a broker to me. Plus there was not a contract, or a spay/neuter agreement.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
My first bulldog came from a local breeder and he asked a lot of questions and I believe was going to pass selling to me but the dog wouldn't leave my side. When I bought Chunky I spent a week or so calling people who were selling Bulldogs and I asked them more questions than they did me since I had already had one which we bred. I found Chunky while searching online for bulldogs within 300 miles and knew he would be the one just from the pics. The breeder I got him from asked me a few questions and after hearing I owned one before he asked where to meet and we both drove a few hours and met up. I paid 2k for Chunky and the going rate then was 1600-2500 locally.

I would never buy from any of the local breeders that I spoke too. All the good breeders local to me have either stopped breeding all together or moved to different breeds. Frenchies and Bullmastiffs. The ones who are left are running puppy mills and are located in some of the most rural places in Northeast tn and southwest virginia

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
We got ours from a friend who isnt a professional breeder -- the Mother has a break in her bloodline - (I guess an undocumented grandparent or something like that) - so she's purely Pet. There are HUGE price differences - 'Show Quality' of course are higher -- some breeders make you sign contracts to guarantee Spay or Neuter --
Then you get into the 'Designer Bulldogs' They are the ones advertised as 'Mini' or 'Tri-color' STAY AWAY FROM THESE BREEDERS -- There is no such thing as a 'MINI ENGLISH BULLDOG' yes, they might have been bred with smaller sized parents.. but that is it. You wont be getting a 15lb English Bulldog. TRI-COLOR -- the Breeders are breeding for COLOR, in my opinion, somewhere down the line, these dogs were cross bred with something else -- so they arent pure bred English Bulldogs. Puppy Prices -- Range from $1000 (Back yard breeders or puppy mills) up to $5000+ Show Quality or Designer Bulldogs -- average ? $2-3000. (IMHO) -- Where to find a puppy, if that is what you want -- talk to members here, find out where they got their bullies -- find out if they would get another puppy from that breeder.

Now if you are interested in an Adult Bully -- there are A LOT of bullies in Rescues -- Rescues need Foster Parents -- and being a FOSTER FAILURE is a *GOOD* Thing :) -- Yes its a process to get a bully through a Rescue -- a good rescue is ONLY concerned about the welfare of their dog. They have strict rules -- and reasons for those rules -- Some are special needs pups -- Some are older pups -- A HUGE need for homes for Seniors.

Advantage to fostering for a rescue -- They take care of the Medical Bills and the special needs of their bullies.

We got a puppy -- not my choice, my wife wanted a puppy (Dont get me wrong, I'm not against puppies) but I was hoping to foster a rescue -- maybe even a senior. I'm a 'Reject' being permanently in a wheelchair, so I feel a special kinship with other 'Rejects' :p (That's a joke folks -- not about me being in a wheelchair -- that's the truth -- but about them being "Rejects")

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It does sound fishy, they did not question you much, and they did not have the sire or dam on location. Sounds almost like a broker to me. Plus there was not a contract, or a spay/neuter agreement.

I agree with David. If the parents, or at least the dam was not there, it sounds like a broker. When I got mine,I found them on puppyfind, and the breeders questioned me, and then I got the name of Their vet, and called him and he spoke to me personally-I asked about the people AND past litters,and any problems.I was very satisfied,as he gave a favorable review,and the breeders owned both sire and dam-so I got two sisters from same parents,different litters,and another from the second litter as a Christmas gift for my sis!
Personally, I would not buy a pup if the parents(at least Mama) were not there. [MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.