6/7 month old behavior

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
hi again. :) So Dozer, who we are considering buying (i keep saying adopting), will be 7 mos old on nov 28th. Could you guys tell me what to expect from a 6/7 mo old? I hear the toddler stages are approaching :ohmy:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Recently, we've had two younger Bullies come through our rescue. One, Lala, we kept and the other, Missy, we placed. Lala has been nothing short of a delight...came in a 6 months with a broken leg and got surgery to fix it and simply stole our hearts. Nothing out of the ordinary with her from day one...except some potty issues if she is in the kennel longer than she should be. IOW, she gives no effort to try to hold her poops overnight. If we sleep in 1/2 hour more than usual we get "gifts". That's probably on us more than her.
Missy was a different story. As soon as she's out of the kennel she's non-stop all day long, running around, playing chewy face, on the furniture, carrying on...did I mention NON STOP? While she was with us the only way to get her to settle down was to sit on the floor and roll her over on her back and rub her belly. Once righted, she's into something. She spent a lot of time in the kennel. I'm not convinced that this was toddler behavior but it sure seemed like it. She's approaching 1 year old and we're told she has yet to slow down. I'm thinking she never will...which is great for the family she's adopted. They are always on the go and they love her immensely.
"like a box of chocolates..."
I would go in expecting nothing and when you get something, be delighted. It's usually funny.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Are there certain things I should look for when visiting him? We'd like a calm EB. obv see if he seems calm but any other suggestions? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The stages can or can not happen... there are things that all dogs will try at certain times, just like skin kids. I do refer to the age of 8-10 months as the toddler stage because most tend to try to break away from the training or come into their own, usually is corrected with just reinforcing the training and household leadership.

Go meet him and see how he interacts with you and your children...

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
agreed with the "toddler" stage... Luckly, it took Two 'catches in the act' and that was that as far as my boy wanting to mark in the house. Not drastic at all, just being able to catch and his desire to please kicked right in. One thing about the 'meet and greet' Try to stay long enough for the initial excitement to slow down and see if indeed he relaxes into you. Hanks issue is he is sooooooooooooo 'initially' thrilled with visitors that it could really put someone off when indeed, he does relax into the situation (if they do,,,,, these guys are so cute people love seeing their bully behavior that training can be hard just because of that!) They are strong, so be prepared ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.