megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
↑↑↑↑These are valid concerns↑↑↑↑

Red flag for me is why has this pup not been sold long ago and if brothers and sisters were sold at a younger age, what were they sold for? Be advised that(in my experience) most "back yard breeders" notoriously breed for $$$ only with little or no concern for
1. the dog
2. the new owners
3. breeding standard(s)
4. overall health
...not necessarily in that order

however, I'm sure that there are exceptions

Hi! I just spoke to the breeder on the phone. She sounds legit anyway...I wrote down the questions you all mentioned and asked them. Everything SOUNDS good. She said that even tho they technically close at 8pm, to call her anytime of day with any question big or small. We're going to meet Dozer tomorrow. [emoji170] it is curious why he hasn't been sold before now though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I hope everything turns out great. Good luck to all...especially Dozer!:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi! I just spoke to the breeder on the phone. She sounds legit anyway...I wrote down the questions you all mentioned and asked them. Everything SOUNDS good. She said that even tho they technically close at 8pm, to call her anytime of day with any question big or small. We're going to meet Dozer tomorrow. [emoji170] it is curious why he hasn't been sold before now though...

I can only speak to my experience, but Riisi and oscarmayar have given you great advice/questions.

Our 1st bulldog, Nitschke we got at 6 months of age, he was last of his litter... there was nothing wrong with him, he was just very shy and did not connect with any other potential families. The breeder, because of his shyness, would not sell him unless you could come to her house to meet him, she was at a point of keeping him when we contacted her. She was a 5 hour drive, but would be in our area for the holidays and was bringing all her babies with her for the trip. So, we met him on December 22, 2004... when the breeder let him (actually all her babies) out to meet us, after a circle run with the pack, he ran right over to my boyfriend, we stayed and talked/played for about an hour and the breeder then agreed to sell him to us. Exactly, one year later we purchased Banks from them and then two years ago after Banks past, we purchased Lambeau.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I can only speak to my experience, but Riisi and oscarmayar have given you great advice/questions.

Our 1st bulldog, Nitschke we got at 6 months of age, he was last of his litter... there was nothing wrong with him, he was just very shy and did not connect with any other potential families. The breeder, because of his shyness, would not sell him unless you could come to her house to meet him, she was at a point of keeping him when we contacted her. She was a 5 hour drive, but would be in our area for the holidays and was bringing all her babies with her for the trip. So, we met him on December 22, 2004... when the breeder let him (actually all her babies) out to meet us, after a circle run with the pack, he ran right over to my boyfriend, we stayed and talked/played for about an hour and the breeder then agreed to sell him to us. Exactly, one year later we purchased Banks from them and then two years ago after Banks past, we purchased Lambeau.

Wow thanks great story! This breeder is also prepared to keep him if no one buys him.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
This post is on their FB page......

"Hey friends you're never going to believe who is back. And everyone sure did miss him.
We are sad to say it didn't work out with his new family due to now having to travel with his job. The family is very devastated and heartbroken that they are not able to keep him. We are truly blessed that they called us first.
If you would like to have Dozer apart of your family give us a call or send us a pm ."

that was oct 24th.

so that would explain why he's still with them.

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nice to read how others bought their dogs. I went to see the breeder 3x. Took months before I decided. I did a lot of research on these breeds. I didn't want just an EB as I didn't want to deal with all their health issues. Nyala's breeder been breeding for 20 something years with French and English bullies so the don't get as big as and English. Mind you, Nyala is more on the English side but has a tad longer nose. She was 3 months old when I bought her. No one wanted brindle. Everyone wanted tan and white. As she's getting older, her golden brindle are coming out more n more. What's funny is that if you look at the real EB 100yrs ago before mankind decided to alter the EB to what it is today, Nyala looks exactly like them back then. No big rope, no floppy ears, longer nose and a lot more fit back then than today's EB. A couple members said they felt sorry cause I got scammed?!?! Like WTH.... That's what I wanted, a smaller version EB. I believe if you're happy with your dog that you wanted and picked out of the bunch, then you have made the right choice. And yes, like mentioned above, do your homework, research, go to the breeder 20x if you have to, ask all the questions you can, read sites like EBN as you will be more educated on EB before jumping the gun. It will prepare you more than you think! Oh and, no matter what people think, I love my little Nyala! She's my cutie pie.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Nice to read how others bought their dogs. I went to see the breeder 3x. Took months before I decided. I did a lot of research on these breeds. I didn't want just an EB as I didn't want to deal with all their health issues. Nyala's breeder been breeding for 20 something years with French and English bullies so the don't get as big as and English. Mind you, Nyala is more on the English side but has a tad longer nose. She was 3 months old when I bought her. No one wanted brindle. Everyone wanted tan and white. As she's getting older, her golden brindle are coming out more n more. What's funny is that if you look at the real EB 100yrs ago before mankind decided to alter the EB to what it is today, Nyala looks exactly like them back then. No big rope, no floppy ears, longer nose and a lot more fit back then than today's EB. A couple members said they felt sorry cause I got scammed?!?! Like WTH.... That's what I wanted, a smaller version EB. I believe if you're happy with your dog that you wanted and picked out of the bunch, then you have made the right choice. And yes, like mentioned above, do your homework, research, go to the breeder 20x if you have to, ask all the questions you can, read sites like EBN as you will be more educated on EB before jumping the gun. It will prepare you more than you think! Oh and, no matter what people think, I love my little Nyala! She's my cutie pie.

omg im so lame.... I was just writing on 'your' comment page thing and have no idea if it went through or what... soooooooooo, i'll just add here that i agree, do your homework and get what 'you' want.. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
omg im so lame.... I was just writing on 'your' comment page thing and have no idea if it went through or what... soooooooooo, i'll just add here that i agree, do your homework and get what 'you' want.. :)

Lame? You can write and add your comment where you want. All good!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Take a breath.

The value of the dog is in your head--not in the dog
breed. That's not to be antagonistic, so if you're
taking it antagonistically, you're not understanding
my intent. My intent is to make you stop, tilt your
head sideways like dogs do, and say to yourself,
"Hmm, I don't think I ever thought of that or saw
it that way."
We have a filter that puts an "I
really, really, really want a bulldog"
filter on
everything and every dog we look at, and since
we don't have the dog and some breeder does,
boom, the breeder ups his fee and many of us
pay it, thinking it's all in the breed.

In the world, some bulldogs are sold for next-to-
nothing, or in the case of shelter adoptions,
bulldogs are occasionally taken with no money
being exchanged--the value is in your head, not in
the breed. The breeder wants you to believe
otherwise. I'll let you chew on that for a while.

IMHO, yes, it's a lot of money for any dog.

We put lots of money into the acquisition, and it
almost never seem to look at the human-dog
relationship and its training. We go into the
relationship assuming that the relationship will be
robust and problem-free. That tells me that in the
initial assumption the training has zero value, and
it's simply all about acquiring the dog. I'm waving
my arms and saying, "Hey! Look here! This does
make sense, and I almost guarantee it's something
you never stopped to look at nor consider."
Old
School
doesn't care about being a strong leader.
New School considers that.

In fact, I tell my clients:

• Get "trained" before you get "dogged," or
  • Get yourself some training before you go getting your dog.
If you get your dog and then get training, you'll
always be behind the eight ball as you try to build
that leadership boat as you're building it. That's hard
to do, and it's not fair to the dog. Be the best leader
you can--get yourself trained first, before you get
your dog. If that sounds odd, it's because the old,
Old School human culture doesn't understand its
value and doesn't care as much about how to be a
strong leader. New School cares. I care. I want
you to be your dog's

• calm,
  • strong,
  • patient,
  • assertive, and
  • non-aggressive (CSPAN)
leader for your dog right now--before you get him.
When you go into the relationship being aware of
and having The Magic Five above, you will

• trigger your dog's calm submission, you'll
  • always have a calm, submissive dog,
and you always want that, regardless of the breed.
You can quote me on that.

In totaling up the purchase price of a dog, include
some money you squirrel aside to get yourself
some training before you get your dog. Put money
into acquiring your charge, then be sure to put a
portion of that money into training for yourself (and
ultimately for you dog, but really it's really about
you).

That training, and that money you put into your
training, will be something that will be used for
the rest of you and your dog's life. You'll never
regret it.

Warm regards,

Doug Parker
The DOuGTrainer
Henderson, NV
USA

:huh: :blink:

@megdav how did it go? Any update??

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Got to admit it's a good sales pitch! :whistle:

Only someone who doesn't own a bulldog would say the asking price for the dog (or any dog) is too much. Only someone who knows NOTHING about the breed would dare say the value and worth are in your head.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Only someone who doesn't own a bulldog would say the asking price for the dog (or any dog) is too much. Only someone who knows NOTHING about the breed would dare say the value and worth are in your head.

Can I give this a hundred likes and claps. I have had many people gush about my babies, and then ask what they cost, only to turn around and balk at the price. The joy my dogs bring me is worth a million times more than what I actually paid for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.