is $1400 a lot...?

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
for a 6, almost 7mo old bulldog from a breeder? we are still considering adopting Dozer. im just curious what you all think of that price.

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Well is that pet price ? If it isn't I'd ask about it for papers and everything probably pretty close around here it is about $1200 (pet price) or $1800 to $2.300 so $1400 is prob not to out of line if all shots and vet visits are up to date

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Well is that pet price ? If it isn't I'd ask about it for papers and everything probably pretty close around here it is about $1200 (pet price) or $1800 to $2.300 so $1400 is prob not to out of line if all shots and vet visits are up to date

thanks! yah they say in the ad: "he will go home with his rabies certificate as well as his AKC registration papers. Buyer will also get copies of all vaccinations papers"

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Pet price is a contract you agree to for pet only no breeding, usually you have to prove you had dog spade or neutered
Only other thing you might want to ask is vet history, otherwise enjoy your new family member
6-7 months will be energy but a lot of naps keep us posted

DougTrainer

Nov 18, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None: I'm a dog trainer
for a 6, almost 7mo old bulldog from a breeder? we are still considering adopting Dozer. im just curious what you all think of that price.

Take a breath.

The value of the dog is in your head--not in the dog
breed. That's not to be antagonistic, so if you're
taking it antagonistically, you're not understanding
my intent. My intent is to make you stop, tilt your
head sideways like dogs do, and say to yourself,
"Hmm, I don't think I ever thought of that or saw
it that way."
We have a filter that puts an "I
really, really, really want a bulldog"
filter on
everything and every dog we look at, and since
we don't have the dog and some breeder does,
boom, the breeder ups his fee and many of us
pay it, thinking it's all in the breed.

In the world, some bulldogs are sold for next-to-
nothing, or in the case of shelter adoptions,
bulldogs are occasionally taken with no money
being exchanged--the value is in your head, not in
the breed. The breeder wants you to believe
otherwise. I'll let you chew on that for a while.

IMHO, yes, it's a lot of money for any dog.

We put lots of money into the acquisition, and it
almost never seem to look at the human-dog
relationship and its training. We go into the
relationship assuming that the relationship will be
robust and problem-free. That tells me that in the
initial assumption the training has zero value, and
it's simply all about acquiring the dog. I'm waving
my arms and saying, "Hey! Look here! This does
make sense, and I almost guarantee it's something
you never stopped to look at nor consider."
Old
School
doesn't care about being a strong leader.
New School considers that.

In fact, I tell my clients:

• Get "trained" before you get "dogged," or
  • Get yourself some training before you go getting your dog.
If you get your dog and then get training, you'll
always be behind the eight ball as you try to build
that leadership boat as you're building it. That's hard
to do, and it's not fair to the dog. Be the best leader
you can--get yourself trained first, before you get
your dog. If that sounds odd, it's because the old,
Old School human culture doesn't understand its
value and doesn't care as much about how to be a
strong leader. New School cares. I care. I want
you to be your dog's

• calm,
  • strong,
  • patient,
  • assertive, and
  • non-aggressive (CSPAN)
leader for your dog right now--before you get him.
When you go into the relationship being aware of
and having The Magic Five above, you will

• trigger your dog's calm submission, you'll
  • always have a calm, submissive dog,
and you always want that, regardless of the breed.
You can quote me on that.

In totaling up the purchase price of a dog, include
some money you squirrel aside to get yourself
some training before you get your dog. Put money
into acquiring your charge, then be sure to put a
portion of that money into training for yourself (and
ultimately for you dog, but really it's really about
you).

That training, and that money you put into your
training, will be something that will be used for
the rest of you and your dog's life. You'll never
regret it.

Warm regards,

Doug Parker
The DOuGTrainer
Henderson, NV
USA

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I personally don't think that is a lot for a bulldog. Matter of fact it's less than I paid for any of mine. Honestly you have to do your homework well. You have a lot of "backyard" or "hobby" breeders. I find that breeders that have done their homework, done the genetic testing and tried to keep their lines free of avoidable health/breeding issues will charge a bit more for their pups. If/when you go see the pups do try to ask as much questions you can about the sire/dam and their lines. It's gong to be hard to not go aww I want him/her because they can just grab you by the heart.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I personally don't think that is a lot for a bulldog. Matter of fact it's less than I paid for any of mine. Honestly you have to do your homework well. You have a lot of "backyard" or "hobby" breeders. I find that breeders that have done their homework, done the genetic testing and tried to keep their lines free of avoidable health/breeding issues will charge a bit more for their pups. If/when you go see the pups do try to ask as much questions you can about the sire/dam and their lines. It's gong to be hard to not go aww I want him/her because they can just grab you by the heart.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

What kind of answers am I looking for about the sire/dam exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
A good breeder should be able to show you the pedigree on both the sire/dam, hopefully they are on site so you can see them. It really gives you a good idea about your possible puppy's temperment. Ask to see if they have done any testing for hips, ask if either suffers from Cherry Eye because that is a defect in the line and will carry on down. I didn't think to ask that about Tyson and he sure as hell has it. Keep an eye to see how many dogs this person has in their breeding program, also ask how frequently they have litters. That question always seems to be a good indicator as to whether these people are just using the female as a breeding bitch and using her as a puppy mill. I always like to see what the dogs living conditions are. I am not a fan of "outside dogs", I prefer to see a situation where dogs are treated as family members.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
A good breeder should be able to show you the pedigree on both the sire/dam, hopefully they are on site so you can see them. It really gives you a good idea about your possible puppy's temperment. Ask to see if they have done any testing for hips, ask if either suffers from Cherry Eye because that is a defect in the line and will carry on down. I didn't think to ask that about Tyson and he sure as hell has it. Keep an eye to see how many dogs this person has in their breeding program, also ask how frequently they have litters. That question always seems to be a good indicator as to whether these people are just using the female as a breeding bitch and using her as a puppy mill. I always like to see what the dogs living conditions are. I am not a fan of "outside dogs", I prefer to see a situation where dogs are treated as family members.

Great questions thanks. Would you say I should say no if the dam/sire has had cherry eye? Suppose it depends on the answers to the other questions right?

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cherry eye wouldn't stop me from buying a dog. I don't find it to be a deal breaker. I would weigh the other items on my list before buying. Go see the pup and see what vibe you get from the breeder.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thanks. Good advice [emoji1360]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

For a 6/7 month old that is actually a fair price. We got our 1st boy at 8 months for 1800.00 back in 2004.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Has the dam and sire been health tested in any way? Can you see them? Have they had ANY health problems? Have they had litters before and if can they tell how they have turned out? Has the breeder ever had any bullies or litters with any health problems? If they say no, they have just started or they're not telling the truth. If the normal price for a bulldog pup in your region is more than 1400, you should be suspicious. Why would anybody sell a perfectly good bully pup for less than they could get for it?

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thank you. I appreciate it [emoji846]

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Has the dam and sire been health tested in any way? Can you see them? Have they had ANY health problems? Have they had litters before and if can they tell how they have turned out? Has the breeder ever had any bullies or litters with any health problems? If they say no, they have just started or they're not telling the truth. If the normal price for a bulldog pup in your region is more than 1400, you should be suspicious. Why would anybody sell a perfectly good bully pup for less than they could get for it?

↑↑↑↑These are valid concerns↑↑↑↑

Red flag for me is why has this pup not been sold long ago and if brothers and sisters were sold at a younger age, what were they sold for? Be advised that(in my experience) most "back yard breeders" notoriously breed for $$$ only with little or no concern for
1. the dog
2. the new owners
3. breeding standard(s)
4. overall health
...not necessarily in that order

however, I'm sure that there are exceptions

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.