Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: is $1400 a lot...?

Has the dam and sire been health tested in any way? Can you see them? Have they had ANY health problems? Have they had litters before and if can they tell how they have turned out? Has the breeder ever had any bullies or litters with any health problems? If they say no, they have just started or they're not telling the truth. If the normal price for a bulldog pup in your region is more than 1400, you should be suspicious. Why would anybody sell a perfectly good bully pup for less than they could get for it?

2. Likes megdav, oscarmayer, NewEnglandBully liked this post
    Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Thank you. I appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    Has the dam and sire been health tested in any way? Can you see them? Have they had ANY health problems? Have they had litters before and if can they tell how they have turned out? Has the breeder ever had any bullies or litters with any health problems? If they say no, they have just started or they're not telling the truth. If the normal price for a bulldog pup in your region is more than 1400, you should be suspicious. Why would anybody sell a perfectly good bully pup for less than they could get for it?
    ↑↑↑↑These are valid concerns↑↑↑↑

Red flag for me is why has this pup not been sold long ago and if brothers and sisters were sold at a younger age, what were they sold for? Be advised that(in my experience) most "back yard breeders" notoriously breed for $$$ only with little or no concern for
    1. the dog
    2. the new owners
    3. breeding standard(s)
    4. overall health
    ...not necessarily in that order

however, I'm sure that there are exceptions

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

5. Likes 2BullyMama, ddnene, NewEnglandBully liked this post
    Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    ↑↑↑↑These are valid concerns↑↑↑↑

Red flag for me is why has this pup not been sold long ago and if brothers and sisters were sold at a younger age, what were they sold for? Be advised that(in my experience) most "back yard breeders" notoriously breed for $$$ only with little or no concern for
    1. the dog
    2. the new owners
    3. breeding standard(s)
    4. overall health
    ...not necessarily in that order

however, I'm sure that there are exceptions
    Hi! I just spoke to the breeder on the phone. She sounds legit anyway...I wrote down the questions you all mentioned and asked them. Everything SOUNDS good. She said that even tho they technically close at 8pm, to call her anytime of day with any question big or small. We're going to meet Dozer tomorrow. it is curious why he hasn't been sold before now though...

7. Likes NewEnglandBully liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I hope everything turns out great. Good luck to all...especially Dozer!

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Thank you

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by megdav View Post
    Hi! I just spoke to the breeder on the phone. She sounds legit anyway...I wrote down the questions you all mentioned and asked them. Everything SOUNDS good. She said that even tho they technically close at 8pm, to call her anytime of day with any question big or small. We're going to meet Dozer tomorrow. it is curious why he hasn't been sold before now though...

I can only speak to my experience, but Riisi and oscarmayar have given you great advice/questions.

Our 1st bulldog, Nitschke we got at 6 months of age, he was last of his litter... there was nothing wrong with him, he was just very shy and did not connect with any other potential families. The breeder, because of his shyness, would not sell him unless you could come to her house to meet him, she was at a point of keeping him when we contacted her. She was a 5 hour drive, but would be in our area for the holidays and was bringing all her babies with her for the trip. So, we met him on December 22, 2004... when the breeder let him (actually all her babies) out to meet us, after a circle run with the pack, he ran right over to my boyfriend, we stayed and talked/played for about an hour and the breeder then agreed to sell him to us. Exactly, one year later we purchased Banks from them and then two years ago after Banks past, we purchased Lambeau.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    I can only speak to my experience, but Riisi and oscarmayar have given you great advice/questions.

Our 1st bulldog, Nitschke we got at 6 months of age, he was last of his litter... there was nothing wrong with him, he was just very shy and did not connect with any other potential families. The breeder, because of his shyness, would not sell him unless you could come to her house to meet him, she was at a point of keeping him when we contacted her. She was a 5 hour drive, but would be in our area for the holidays and was bringing all her babies with her for the trip. So, we met him on December 22, 2004... when the breeder let him (actually all her babies) out to meet us, after a circle run with the pack, he ran right over to my boyfriend, we stayed and talked/played for about an hour and the breeder then agreed to sell him to us. Exactly, one year later we purchased Banks from them and then two years ago after Banks past, we purchased Lambeau.
    Wow thanks great story! This breeder is also prepared to keep him if no one buys him.

12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

This post is on their FB page......

"Hey friends you're never going to believe who is back. And everyone sure did miss him.
    We are sad to say it didn't work out with his new family due to now having to travel with his job. The family is very devastated and heartbroken that they are not able to keep him. We are truly blessed that they called us first.
    If you would like to have Dozer apart of your family give us a call or send us a pm ."

that was oct 24th.

so that would explain why he's still with them.
    Last edited by megdav; 11-18-2016 at 04:34 PM. Reason: quotes :)

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Nice to read how others bought their dogs. I went to see the breeder 3x. Took months before I decided. I did a lot of research on these breeds. I didn't want just an EB as I didn't want to deal with all their health issues. Nyala's breeder been breeding for 20 something years with French and English bullies so the don't get as big as and English. Mind you, Nyala is more on the English side but has a tad longer nose. She was 3 months old when I bought her. No one wanted brindle. Everyone wanted tan and white. As she's getting older, her golden brindle are coming out more n more. What's funny is that if you look at the real EB 100yrs ago before mankind decided to alter the EB to what it is today, Nyala looks exactly like them back then. No big rope, no floppy ears, longer nose and a lot more fit back then than today's EB. A couple members said they felt sorry cause I got scammed?!?! Like WTH.... That's what I wanted, a smaller version EB. I believe if you're happy with your dog that you wanted and picked out of the bunch, then you have made the right choice. And yes, like mentioned above, do your homework, research, go to the breeder 20x if you have to, ask all the questions you can, read sites like EBN as you will be more educated on EB before jumping the gun. It will prepare you more than you think! Oh and, no matter what people think, I love my little Nyala! She's my cutie pie.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Nice to read how others bought their dogs. I went to see the breeder 3x. Took months before I decided. I did a lot of research on these breeds. I didn't want just an EB as I didn't want to deal with all their health issues. Nyala's breeder been breeding for 20 something years with French and English bullies so the don't get as big as and English. Mind you, Nyala is more on the English side but has a tad longer nose. She was 3 months old when I bought her. No one wanted brindle. Everyone wanted tan and white. As she's getting older, her golden brindle are coming out more n more. What's funny is that if you look at the real EB 100yrs ago before mankind decided to alter the EB to what it is today, Nyala looks exactly like them back then. No big rope, no floppy ears, longer nose and a lot more fit back then than today's EB. A couple members said they felt sorry cause I got scammed?!?! Like WTH.... That's what I wanted, a smaller version EB. I believe if you're happy with your dog that you wanted and picked out of the bunch, then you have made the right choice. And yes, like mentioned above, do your homework, research, go to the breeder 20x if you have to, ask all the questions you can, read sites like EBN as you will be more educated on EB before jumping the gun. It will prepare you more than you think! Oh and, no matter what people think, I love my little Nyala! She's my cutie pie.
    omg im so lame.... I was just writing on 'your' comment page thing and have no idea if it went through or what... soooooooooo, i'll just add here that i agree, do your homework and get what 'you' want..

16. Likes megdav liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    omg im so lame.... I was just writing on 'your' comment page thing and have no idea if it went through or what... soooooooooo, i'll just add here that i agree, do your homework and get what 'you' want..
    Lame? You can write and add your comment where you want. All good!

18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads