spay/neutring

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Ok, so, it seems (and maybe I haven't read that much yet) that most are 'for' spaying the female before her heat cycles start, yet 'not' for neutering the bulldog males... Not till later anyway. Talking to the guy at the grooming place, he said that this 'intact male' stuff seems to be the fad, and that him being in the business said that the difference between the 'intact' males vs neutered can be quite dramatic.(that may be because he has just been bit for the first time and it was from an 'intact' bulldog :( And that many groomers, boarding places, dog parks etc wont accept 'intact' males. Yet,,,,,,,,,, I never was asked if my female was spayed... What am I missing? This guy wasn't trying to encourage a neuter or anything, just conversation. I want to do the right thing and at first I was going to get the 'cut' at 6 months but then was encouraged to wait.............. Sorry I'm all over the place with this.... But, any opinions on cut vs no cut?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
My male is intact. I believe that for the male it is better for his health. Other than the occasional marking and humping he does not display untoward behavior. We are working on those constantly.

That being said the neutered dogs tend to be aggressive or territorial towards him. And most places won't let him in daycare or board. Some will let him board in a room by himself. I have found that the places that usually breed will take him.

If I ever have a female I am unsure what I would do. Just haven't done enough research. Ultimately it is about deciding what you think is best for your dog and being a responsible pet parent either way.

If you do neuter or spay I have heard it is better to do later for a bulldog so their lungs can be well developed as they don't do as well under anesthesia.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Both our our ladies (1 bully and 1 Lab) were done at about 6-7 months... both of them, a week before going in to be Spayed went into Heat ! grrr -- rescheduled appointment -- rescheduled Vacation :(

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Some say a matter of a few months, some say after puberty, some say longer. Who knows for sure?
I say after 6 months you're good to go.
I wouldn't consider a grooming guy to be an authority on anything but grooming...especially if he's only been bitten once. :no:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I hadn't planned on neutering my male Walter, but he became aggressive so we did and he changed... my female Willow has had one heat cycle, and we will have her spayed soon. Groomer's are not experts on this IMO, it really is personal preference...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The sex hormones help with growth. That's why our vet suggest to neuter a male when they are around 18 months of age, and he likes a female to be at least 12 months old. Doing the spay at 12 months old means you have to let her have one heat cycle, and some people do not want to go through the mess of it, plus you can not let her out of your site the whole time she is in heat. So it's up to you.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I had originally planned on neutering chunky at 1 year because I am not going to breed him. He never showed any negative signs that I had read intact males have so I didn't do it at 1 year but 6 months later I will be having him neutered because he has Cystine Stones and supposedly neutering them helps to keep the stones from coming back

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Knowing why you neuter is important - for medical reasons, for behavioural issues or just because most dogs around are being neutered? Neutering seems to be culture-bound; in Scandinavia most dogs are intact. In Sweden I think less than 10 % are neutered.

Littleeagle

Jul 28, 2011
TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
Here is a very interesting video from a vet that used to automatically spay/neuter: https://youtu.be/enPCZA1WFKY

Our intact big boy (now almost six) has never had any aggression issues. Gets excited but we just "walk it off".

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
gang gave you great insight... I have spayed at 6 months and my boys are neutered at 8 months

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Here is a very interesting video from a vet that used to automatically spay/neuter: https://youtu.be/enPCZA1WFKY

Our intact big boy (now almost six) has never had any aggression issues. Gets excited but we just "walk it off".

Thank you for this.... I had watched when hank was about 4 months old, but is more 'relevant' to me/him now. We're going to wait either for ever, or as long as able. so far so good, i just have concerns if/when i need to have someone else watch him, or heavens forbid board him if i go out of country, that it could be an issue. still lots to think about so thanks :)

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
gang gave you great insight... I have spayed at 6 months and my boys are neutered at 8 months

and!!!!!!!!!! this is also good to hear as knowing very good people do whats best ............ which ever it is :)

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online