Puppy potty training

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
My goodness Tank is so cute! I love the muddy Tank photo!

Keep up the good work with Tank. You're doing the right things, it just takes time.

I had ZERO trouble with my first two bullies and Baby T has been a tough one. I find that putting a peanut butter filled Kong worked well in helping him sleep through the night and not pee pee in his crate because he was eating in there and he learned to LOVE his crate because it meant peanut butter time!

I also found that Truman was smaller than my other bullies when he was little and, as such, I think it took more time for his bladder (and other plumbing) to develop. He is 11 months now and can comfortably go 8 hours without potty in his crate and often will go longer at night time.

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
:bully:Hello Everyone...so I am new this wonderful site and a brand new owner of my first English Bulldog baby boy....his name is Tank. He has been so wonderful and such an awesome puppy. We are struggling in the potty training department though. He is constantly peeing in his crate even though he only has enough room to sleep in it. He also will be outside, use the restroom, and then the minute he comes in he uses the restroom inside as well. We are a tad frustrated because we see how well he is doing and now we are looking for some type of ideas or tips to help us out....anyone have anything they can share???

Ive had Memphis 2 wks n he is 12 wks now n we have had him in his own room which is 4ft x 6ft n i bought the potty patch with the fake grass n he pees on it everytime which is awesome but when its time to poo hes not so good lol... After reading allot of people on here saying its best to crate train, Ive been doing that the last two day n he keeps peeing in it. Same as u its only big enough for him to lay down n i stay hm so i take him out every hr or two but nothings wking... Maybe because hes only 12 wks???? but i may go back to my old system...

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver and Sebastian are almost 4 months (on Thursday!!!) and they still have accidents in the house. More Oliver than Sebastian, but we had Sebastian home with us for 3 weeks before Oliver came so he had a little more training. Oliver hadn't had any potty training started before I brought him home, the breeder paper trained him because she didn't want to take him outside in the winter. But Oliver does the same thing, he will go outside then come right in and pee. They don't pee in their crate, but Oliver will pee on their dog bed that is the living room. Not all the time, but enough that is frustrating.

OP
tanksmommy

tanksmommy

Mar 9, 2011
Riverside County
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
So I just bought the potty patch in hopes that it will help Tank to relieve himself on while inside. We work during the day and he is at home by himself so I think I may be confusing him by allowing him to pee on the paper pee pads and then making him have to pee outside on the grass when I am home. He is kind of thinking the potty patch is a toy but I am hoping with some special love, training, and patience, he will get it down! That way at least it is constantly a relief on grass:-)

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
So I just bought the potty patch in hopes that it will help Tank to relieve himself on while inside. We work during the day and he is at home by himself so I think I may be confusing him by allowing him to pee on the paper pee pads and then making him have to pee outside on the grass when I am home. He is kind of thinking the potty patch is a toy but I am hoping with some special love, training, and patience, he will get it down! That way at least it is constantly a relief on grass:-)

Memphis still tries to play w it at times but i make sure I have allot of toys in w him... Will u have Tank confined to a small area while training him to the potty patch?

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
IMG_4336.jpg Memphis in "his" own rm... He LUVS to get in his kennel to sleep lol... Its getting small so I need to get a larger one asap...If I put anything on the floor for him to lay on he pees on it so thats why i only have his potty patch in there. He doesnt pee in his kennel if he is able to get out... I still take him out every hr or two after playing n eating but this is what we have come up w while he is not being watched...

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
:D
View attachment 7069 Memphis in "his" own rm... He LUVS to get in his kennel to sleep lol... Its getting small so I need to get a larger one asap...If I put anything on the floor for him to lay on he pees on it so thats why i only have his potty patch in there. He doesnt pee in his kennel if he is able to get out... I still take him out every hr or two after playing n eating but this is what we have come up w while he is not being watched...

I am sure u all know this but if u click on pic it enlarges:D Just thought I would mention it...

OP
tanksmommy

tanksmommy

Mar 9, 2011
Riverside County
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank is still not understanding the petty patch:-( I am wondering if he is just trying to mark his territory right now? He is still urinating in the house and he knows he is not supposed too!! N e more suggestions? I am thinking about calling in a in home trainer to help us out....don't want to have to replace carpet:-(
Other than that he got his last set of shots for the next year yesterday...everyone LOVED him at the vet! Told us we had a nice looking bully and that he was going to be big! Tank just soaked up the attention!!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gator went in his crate only once even overnight when we brought him home. He stopped going in the house completely after a few times of me busting him peeing and yelling and rushing him outside not to mention my grumbling while cleaning up poo. But anyway, Lucy was a WHOLE different story. I would put a collar and leash on her and attach her to my belt loop so I could keep a constant eye on her. Every time she would start to sniff around like she wanted to potty I took her outside and gave TONS of praise.

I also started using a "trigger word". I would take her (and I do this with Gator as well) and asked if she needed to "go potty" and while she was going, I would say how nice it was she decided to "go potty". Now, when I say do you need to go potty they both run to the door and when we are in strange places, if I take them out and tell them to "go potty", they do.

You may also want to take up the water and food dish several hours before bedtime. Then take them out several times after that so they can get it all out. Make sure the final time is right before crating for the night. This helps with the night accidents tremendously. They only time Gator ever had a crate accident was when I forgot to take up the water early enough.

Tank is just adorable. I love the mud pictures! Looks like a kid!

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
Tank is still not understanding the petty patch:-( I am wondering if he is just trying to mark his territory right now? He is still urinating in the house and he knows he is not supposed too!! N e more suggestions? I am thinking about calling in a in home trainer to help us out....don't want to have to replace carpet:-(
Other than that he got his last set of shots for the next year yesterday...everyone LOVED him at the vet! Told us we had a nice looking bully and that he was going to be big! Tank just soaked up the attention!!

I think he is still too young... I know thay cant even begin to hold it til 12 wks n then it can take up to a yr or two. They say, while being potty trained, they should be in their crates at all times other than when they r eating, supervised playing or being carefully watched or held but that is so hard to do...

OP
tanksmommy

tanksmommy

Mar 9, 2011
Riverside County
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Well I am going one day next week and meeting with a personal trainer. She may be coming to our home and helping us out with training Tank as well as teaching him some very good manners and tricks along the way.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
the bullys are still babies,i know that its said that they can be trained at 12 weeks which is very true of other breeds ,bullys however well !!!,some bullys are house broke very easily but most are not,the only advice i can give is when you cannot supervise then restrict your bully to one place,2 hourly toilet trips outside,i personaly would not lock a crate until the pup is clean at night as they love to sleep in their pee!!,patience and a good feeding and toileting routine is key,also lifting water after 6pm ,my bully is 10 months and still pees in the early hours between 5 and 6 am lol,so unless i get up at 5 am shes peed ,but as im tired after restarting work after a 6 month break i find i cannot move that early lol,good luck

Most Reactions