Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Puppy potty training

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Puppy potty training

Gator went in his crate only once even overnight when we brought him home. He stopped going in the house completely after a few times of me busting him peeing and yelling and rushing him outside not to mention my grumbling while cleaning up poo. But anyway, Lucy was a WHOLE different story. I would put a collar and leash on her and attach her to my belt loop so I could keep a constant eye on her. Every time she would start to sniff around like she wanted to potty I took her outside and gave TONS of praise.

I also started using a "trigger word". I would take her (and I do this with Gator as well) and asked if she needed to "go potty" and while she was going, I would say how nice it was she decided to "go potty". Now, when I say do you need to go potty they both run to the door and when we are in strange places, if I take them out and tell them to "go potty", they do.

You may also want to take up the water and food dish several hours before bedtime. Then take them out several times after that so they can get it all out. Make sure the final time is right before crating for the night. This helps with the night accidents tremendously. They only time Gator ever had a crate accident was when I forgot to take up the water early enough.

Tank is just adorable. I love the mud pictures! Looks like a kid!

Kennel Cleaner
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Memphis
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tanksmommy View Post
    Tank is still not understanding the petty patch:-( I am wondering if he is just trying to mark his territory right now? He is still urinating in the house and he knows he is not supposed too!! N e more suggestions? I am thinking about calling in a in home trainer to help us out....don't want to have to replace carpet:-(
    Other than that he got his last set of shots for the next year yesterday...everyone LOVED him at the vet! Told us we had a nice looking bully and that he was going to be big! Tank just soaked up the attention!!
    I think he is still too young... I know thay cant even begin to hold it til 12 wks n then it can take up to a yr or two. They say, while being potty trained, they should be in their crates at all times other than when they r eating, supervised playing or being carefully watched or held but that is so hard to do...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Well I am going one day next week and meeting with a personal trainer. She may be coming to our home and helping us out with training Tank as well as teaching him some very good manners and tricks along the way.

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

the bullys are still babies,i know that its said that they can be trained at 12 weeks which is very true of other breeds ,bullys however well !!!,some bullys are house broke very easily but most are not,the only advice i can give is when you cannot supervise then restrict your bully to one place,2 hourly toilet trips outside,i personaly would not lock a crate until the pup is clean at night as they love to sleep in their pee!!,patience and a good feeding and toileting routine is key,also lifting water after 6pm ,my bully is 10 months and still pees in the early hours between 5 and 6 am lol,so unless i get up at 5 am shes peed ,but as im tired after restarting work after a 6 month break i find i cannot move that early lol,good luck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads