Puppy potty training

tanksmommy

Mar 9, 2011
Riverside County
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
:bully:Hello Everyone...so I am new this wonderful site and a brand new owner of my first English Bulldog baby boy....his name is Tank. He has been so wonderful and such an awesome puppy. We are struggling in the potty training department though. He is constantly peeing in his crate even though he only has enough room to sleep in it. He also will be outside, use the restroom, and then the minute he comes in he uses the restroom inside as well. We are a tad frustrated because we see how well he is doing and now we are looking for some type of ideas or tips to help us out....anyone have anything they can share???

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
well i'm not much help here we were soooo lucky w our two bulldogs sparkles sometimes pees inside but thats bc we dont take her out as often as we should. i crate trained mine i put a puppy pee pad on one side and on the other side their bed. now that they are bigger they have learned to pee outside and not in their crate b/c thats where they sleep. they are such smart dogs. good luck hopefully other people on the forum will have better ideas than mine. i can't wait to see Tank please post pixs soon :D

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
We are struggling with that too... Belly is 4 months old and won't sleep through the night ..usually has me up to take her out at 11,2 and 4 am... She used to sleep through the night... we are gone 10 hours a day for work also... it's our own fault..wish sometimes we were on opposite shifts to get her out more often.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Im dealing with this also. Though they finally quit peeing in their crate. Mojo will pee outside and then come in and pee again. I steamclean at least once a week. Im just trying to be patient

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Welcome to the board. I hope we can see photos soon :)

I will be of no help on the potty training issue. I didn't use crate training, I just take him out constantly. Now even at 1 yr old he decided to start hiking up and marking so I have to watch him constantly.
You will get plenty of great advice here. Can't wait to see your baby.

OP
tanksmommy

tanksmommy

Mar 9, 2011
Riverside County
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I am glad I am finding that people are going through the same things we are. I know that things will get better and I am practicing patience:pray: I have his Dr.s appointment today for his shots and I will ask Dr. Butchko if Tank may have a bladder infection. I notice that when he does go outside and then come inside, when he is going to the bathroom inside it is a couple of drops and not alot like when he goes outside. I will let you guys know how the appt. goes. I will also get some pics up soon!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Patience is the key even though it is VERY frustrating!!

Daddy took a good 5 - 6 months before he really understood that going inside the house and inside his crate was a bad thing. For the first 3-4 months he used to poop in his crate too and we would come home to a poop-covered bully .... :barf:

Even now if he has been playing a lot he will run to the door and can leave a little pee trail behind him because he has left it a little too late. Thank goodness for wooden floors!!! :whew:

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Weeeeeeeeeell................6 years later...........Duke has never had any accidents. Why?............because he let's me know..........even if it is 2:00am......I still get up and let him out. It's part of the commitment and love. What I found to help in the begining was taking him out for walks. Telling him what a good boy he was when he finished his muffin missions. Bulldogs eat praise up.......and they're dieing to please you to get it. So make it work for you while you do your bonding together.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
We added a bit of a twist on crate training... I was afraid of Moe experiencing, thus potentially accepting that it is OK to potty in the crate, so we added a baby playpen gate around his crate, and provided a puppy pee pad. This gave him the option of peeing out of his crate without messing in the house if he just had to go. We started by waking up in the middle of the night to take him out, and praising him for the dry floor, or acting sad if there was a mess. It really did not take him long to figure out what we wanted. We were able to extend the time before we woke up to take him out until we eventually were able to sleep all night. We still had some accidents in the house when we let him run around, but a big turning point was catching him as he started to squat... I yelled at him and rushed him outside. I felt bad for scaring him, but I made an impression that worked. We no longer need the pee pad in his crate area as he is able to hold it, and he now goes to the front door to be let out if he is out of his crate area. We don't trust him enough yet to leave him out of his crate while we are gone, but with his progress he'll earn it soon.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Since we have had Bulldogs we have always had an older dog & cat and a pet door and have not had more than 10 pees & poops in the house per puppy. The puppy would follow the older dog and/or cat outside and caught on real fast.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Chaos still has accidents too and it is frustrating. He is getting alot better, I think its time and as he grows he is able to hold it longer. The last few days we have come home to a clean kennel!! :):) Now at night is mostly when we have our problems. He wakes up dont cry and sometimes just pees or poos and we wake up to a pee or poopy :bully:.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
It can be very frustrating! I sorta forget the puppy stage and really hoping that Silva will train Stella! I do remember how much praise works! Good luck to all the puppies!!

OP
tanksmommy

tanksmommy

Mar 9, 2011
Riverside County
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It has been a couple weeks since I last posted and Tank is doing much better. Not as many accidents in the house at all. Just still likes to Pee in his crate every now and then. I have found that keeping him more active and outside more has helped with his problems! Everyone has given great advice and appreciate it all. Pics are coming next:-)

OP
tanksmommy

tanksmommy

Mar 9, 2011
Riverside County
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
DSCN1015.jpgDSCN1011.jpgDSCN1017.jpg
Here is my baby Tank. He is an absolute angel! As you can see he LOVES the mud...pretty crazy but hey in the end he gets a nice fun bath:-)
My new nickname for him is Pigpen. I hope you all enjoy....I have to say you all have gorgeous bullies as well!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.