16 Month Old Chewing One Paw

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
My baby Apollo just started licking his right paw very aggressively today. It's just one paw and he hasn't done this since he was like 5-6 months old or younger. I'm not sure why he's doing that. Any tips or ideas on this? He's eating normally and doing everything the same as everyday. No changes in his day to day routine. His paws are normal and no signs of anything abnormalities.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Sounds like allergies. Look for cysts and pink paws. Since fall hit mine has been having problems. Try paws washing after outdoor time.

It could also be food related. What are you feeding?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
My first thought is the beginning of an interdigital cyst.

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Sounds like allergies. Look for cysts and pink paws. Since fall hit mine has been having problems. Try paws washing after outdoor time.

It could also be food related. What are you feeding?
Thank you [MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION]...I do think it could be allergies....he has been rubbing his nose on hard surfaces and and having reverse sneezes. My husband seems to believe it's seasonal. His food is the same now going on almost a year and Merrick's Pacific Catch Recipe kibble. He's allergic to chicken and has liked this food for a bit. I will definitely wipe down his paws when he comes back inside the house from outdoors. I am forgetful about this... Thank you again for the tips!! [emoji4]

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I'm not sure it would be allergies (the one paw licking part) because the other paw SHOULD also be affected -- Possible cyst... also...do the sniff test... does his paws smell of CORN CHIPS... if so, Yeast could be an issue.

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
I'm not sure it would be allergies (the one paw licking part) because the other paw SHOULD also be affected -- Possible cyst... also...do the sniff test... does his paws smell of CORN CHIPS... if so, Yeast could be an issue.
Thanks [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION]....I will check his paws for yeast as well. He's a little stinky these days as he goes to daycare....

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
The check of a cyst is very easy... just look.... the check for Yeast, is very easy.. Sniff. thats the 1st 'Go-To's' I do, as they are simple. Playing the food merry-go-round is a Month+ process. No fun.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My first thought was fall allergies.... Lambeau is suffering a lot itchy paws and yeasty folds, I am wiping him almost all day long and his one ear a dirty shortly after cleaning. A mis of 50/50 witch hazel and ACV has been a tremendous help keeping it under control

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
My first thought was fall allergies.... Lambeau is suffering a lot itchy paws and yeasty folds, I am wiping him almost all day long and his one ear a dirty shortly after cleaning. A mis of 50/50 witch hazel and ACV has been a tremendous help keeping it under control
Hi [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]....thanks for the advice! I'm thinking he's definitely a little yeasty as he's been smelling a lot but that could be due also to him playing outside and at daycare a lot. For the mist...how often do you spray him with this? And where do you spray him? Thanks so much!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]....thanks for the advice! I'm thinking he's definitely a little yeasty as he's been smelling a lot but that could be due also to him playing outside and at daycare a lot. For the mist...how often do you spray him with this? And where do you spray him? Thanks so much!

I spray his ears at least once a week, paws might be twice a week and i wipe his folds daily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online