Marking Issues

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
Okay, I have a male bully who is fast approaching 1 yr. The vet wanted to wait till he was 1 before neutering and we are there. He has started to mark things this month. Came on fast as he just started lifting his leg and that was what the Vet/I were wanting on before neutering.

Last week his marking went from tress to new objects and has progressed to things in the house today. I had an appointment this Friday 11/4/16 to get him fixed but I am having to cancel because of work. Next opening with the vet that I want to use is in two weeks. Not sure he will live that long if he keeps marking up the house.. :mad:

Is this a phase, will it pass... surely it has to stop.. :ohmy:
Have I waited too late? Is he going to mark things now if fixed? Ugh

That is about all I got, any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated..

Thanks.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi there. Has nothing to do with waiting on neutering because he's marking. Dogs dont have to be neutered that's up to the owner. Ive seen dogs that never been neutered and the dont mark. My Dobermans were never neutered. They sure didnt mark as "you" have to train them not to. Especially in the house! Why would anyone allow that. Well, that's when you come in and grab him on the spot, raise your voice with a "BIG NO" and put him outside or crate him when you leave since you're not there to catch him on the spot. After being grabbed a few times he'll make the link...no marking in the house!

OP
B

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
Oh, he got grabbed and told "No" and put in detention that is for sure. He has only done this twice now in the house and was grabbed and told "No" both times.
Just checking to see if anybody else has had this happen all of a sudden and did it stop with corrective training.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
...anybody else has had this happen...
...and did it stop with corrective training.
yes and yes

It's up to you to keep with the corrective measures and be consistent.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh, he got grabbed and told "No" and put in detention that is for sure. He has only done this twice now in the house and was grabbed and told "No" both times.
Just checking to see if anybody else has had this happen all of a sudden and did it stop with corrective training.

Stay consistent... we used a spray bottle with water in it to deter some behaviors, it worked 90% of the time.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Well then keep doing it and he will stop. Just dont give up. :no:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Of course the dog shouldn't mark indoors but are you sure it's related to him not being neutered? Almost all dogs in Sweden are intact and here I have heard indoor marking being discussed in terms of dogs feeling insecure about something new in the household (new family member, new furniture/new house, new routines, etc.). Have you had another male dog visiting so that your boy feels he needs to take repossession of the house, for instance?

That male dogs mark outdoors in the sense that they pee on most trees, lamp posts etc is a good thing - that's social interaction in dog language. Of course you need to train a dog so that he doesn't pee on your neighbour's fence or on people's doorsteps but on the whole I think outfoor marking is normal dog language.

Good luck!

OP
B

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
Okay, not sure what to make of it. It started real suddenly, first trees (which is okay) than on to other objects (outdoors okay).
If his sister pee's, he has to pee near it, if not on it. (she pees outside, so no issue there).... Mainly just normal dog stuff which is fine.

The issues is indoors, and it happened twice today.
Brought both of them to grooming school today (lots of new dog smells), both are on 4 foot leashes, met a couple of people walking in and the normal stuff.
Oh, how cute... ect... with a group of people watching them and talking back and forth, he managed to pee on a stool or under a stool without anyone seeing.
Matter of fact it was more like, one of your dogs peed... Nobody saw anything.
Then this afternoon on leaving, same thing, different room, but under a stool again... I had Reya and was putting a leash on her, my two coworkers had him.
Nobody saw anything. He is quick and sneaky about it. :yes: And this was with a warning to keep an eye on him.
I am hoping this is just a phase and he will learn that it is okay outdoors on trees, the fence ect... but not indoors.

Nothing new in the house, I might put the pee on the couch base (thankfully leather) down to maybe a dog smell rubbing off from my pants.

This post was more of a "Did someone have a bully that all of sudden turned into a serial marking and with corrective action, did it stop.." :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, not sure what to make of it. It started real suddenly, first trees (which is okay) than on to other objects (outdoors okay).
If his sister pee's, he has to pee near it, if not on it. (she pees outside, so no issue there).... Mainly just normal dog stuff which is fine.

The issues is indoors, and it happened twice today.
Brought both of them to grooming school today (lots of new dog smells), both are on 4 foot leashes, met a couple of people walking in and the normal stuff.
Oh, how cute... ect... with a group of people watching them and talking back and forth, he managed to pee on a stool or under a stool without anyone seeing.
Matter of fact it was more like, one of your dogs peed... Nobody saw anything.
Then this afternoon on leaving, same thing, different room, but under a stool again... I had Reya and was putting a leash on her, my two coworkers had him.
Nobody saw anything. He is quick and sneaky about it. :yes: And this was with a warning to keep an eye on him.
I am hoping this is just a phase and he will learn that it is okay outdoors on trees, the fence ect... but not indoors.

Nothing new in the house, I might put the pee on the couch base (thankfully leather) down to maybe a dog smell rubbing off from my pants.
F
This post was more of a "Did someone have a bully that all of sudden turned into a serial marking and with corrective action, did it stop.." :)

I recall a few years ago my GS, and yes neutered went up to my nephew and peed on his leg. NEVER has my GS done thzt before. And I mean never? If I were you, again, start washing your floors with vinegar. Vinegar is probably the only thing that will remove smells. Wooden floors, clean them cracks. Wash all bedding, vinegar in rinse cycle!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Not really an answer to your question, but I do think indoor peeing at the groomer's is very different from marking at home. In a vet's office and at a groomer's there will be lots of dog smells from potentially stressed dogs, so possibly a good place to leave your scent mark! From the dog's perspective it's probably more like marking a tree.

I now remember that Castor peed once at the vet's. It was at this small vet's downstairs office with just the vet himself working there and I suppose noone had had time to clean the floor (nor the rattan chair leg Castor peed on) outside the examination room. It happened very quickly and I was so surprised and also terribly emabrrassed, but the vet just laughed and said 'no problem, that chair is very popular'.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
about this "peeing" stuff... my almost 9 months boy is just starting to lift his leg (really kind of funny as he looks quite awkward at it). Would it wrong to try to curb that? I am thinking that I would like to be able for him to pee on a pad if necessary and it crossed my mind. Just a thought...

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
OMG!!! @ BREWBADGER .... I "think" my almost 9 month old (who just last week has attempted the leg lift on trees) has decided to 'mark'.... I found a puddle and got so sad thinking my 23 yr old cat had finally lost it, and then another... I still haven't *busted* him yet but I think its HIM! That little turd if it is! He has been the easiest dog to potty train and so this should be able to be curbed fast, but oh boy!!! durty rat if its him.... How have you done with yours???? Have you got it under control??? BRATS!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.