RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I feel like such a NOOB again. Its been atleast 4 years since Puppy stage -- we did really well with Hershey -- only had 2 mishaps, and both of the time it was our faults -- 1 time I opened his kennel, sat him down to close the kennel and Instant Puddle. DOH ! go directly outside do not pass go, do not collect $200 ! ! !

Here are some tips I remember - - -

There was a suggested 'Potty Schedule' something like

1) Wake puppy in morning -- Immediately take out
2) Feed puppy --
3) Wait (How many minutes was it?) take back out, until business is done.
4) Potty breaks, for age in Months +1 hour *Maximum* i.e. 12 Weeks? = 4 Months + 1 Hour = 5 hr MAX
5) take away water 2 hours before bed time (???)

HIGH Praise for Proper Potty ! (Treats even)

Food schedule

Best 4 times a day, as they have little tummies -- but 3 times a day should be fine
No need to go over 6 months off age for change over to adult food.

Kennel -

ONLY enough room for Puppy to turn around in. Too much Kennel.. too much chance Puppy Potties in Kennel
Puppy Unattended -- In Kennel
Kennel Protects house from puppy... MORE importantly protects puppy FROM house !
Kennel is SAFETY -- NEVER for punishment (as in do not put in jail and ignored)

Biting -

Since they explore with their mouths, they will bite...
Train them Limits of bite -- if they bite on you, a QUICK LOUD 'OWWWWWWW' -- Their litter mates let them know when its too hard, do the same. (sound weird? a dog who doesnt know their bite limit/power might play too hard, like with children) and bulldogs are 'Mouthy'
Redirect redirect redirect -- always have a chew toy/antler handy -- *NO* Then give toy, when they chew on toy, then praise.

You are Alpha -

Set it early - They eat when you tell/allow them to eat.
You play when you choose to play.
Take away toy -- 'My Toy' to end play session I.E. favorite ball dont just leave it out.

well this turned into from asking for tips... to giving tips... *BUT* I know I'm missing some --

HIT ME WITH THEM ! ! ! ! ! exactly 7 days until she arrives (Flight would be landing 45 mins ago, if this were Friday the 4th!)

Rick

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I'm sure everything will go great, it's impossible to have everything under control with a bulldog puppy in the house, lol. Good luck, looking forward to pictures!!!:w00t:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] I think you have answered all of your own questions! Don't be nervous, you will get "back in the groove" pretty quickly. We are all excited for the arrival of Royalty! ( hey,good name-Royal!) ha!ha!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with everything, except the take away water before bed time. We never, ever restrict water from our pups or adults. Congrats on our new pup.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You got this cover!!! There is a guide here for feeding-- when I get in the PC i will post it for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I am so excited for you! It looks like you've got it all covered. You guys will settle right in and have no problems. Please post lots of pictures so we can live vicariously through you!

Moebrane

Aug 19, 2016
West Palm
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Katy, Connor
I feel like such a NOOB again. Its been atleast 4 years since Puppy stage -- we did really well with Hershey -- only had 2 mishaps, and both of the time it was our faults -- 1 time I opened his kennel, sat him down to close the kennel and Instant Puddle. DOH ! go directly outside do not pass go, do not collect $200 ! ! !

Here are some tips I remember - - -

There was a suggested 'Potty Schedule' something like

1) Wake puppy in morning -- Immediately take out
2) Feed puppy --
3) Wait (How many minutes was it?) take back out, until business is done.
4) Potty breaks, for age in Months +1 hour *Maximum* i.e. 12 Weeks? = 4 Months + 1 Hour = 5 hr MAX
5) take away water 2 hours before bed time (???)

HIGH Praise for Proper Potty ! (Treats even)

Food schedule

Best 4 times a day, as they have little tummies -- but 3 times a day should be fine
No need to go over 6 months off age for change over to adult food.

Kennel -

ONLY enough room for Puppy to turn around in. Too much Kennel.. too much chance Puppy Potties in Kennel
Puppy Unattended -- In Kennel
Kennel Protects house from puppy... MORE importantly protects puppy FROM house !
Kennel is SAFETY -- NEVER for punishment (as in do not put in jail and ignored)

Biting -

Since they explore with their mouths, they will bite...
Train them Limits of bite -- if they bite on you, a QUICK LOUD 'OWWWWWWW' -- Their litter mates let them know when its too hard, do the same. (sound weird? a dog who doesnt know their bite limit/power might play too hard, like with children) and bulldogs are 'Mouthy'
Redirect redirect redirect -- always have a chew toy/antler handy -- *NO* Then give toy, when they chew on toy, then praise.

You are Alpha -

Set it early - They eat when you tell/allow them to eat.
You play when you choose to play.
Take away toy -- 'My Toy' to end play session I.E. favorite ball dont just leave it out.

well this turned into from asking for tips... to giving tips... *BUT* I know I'm missing some --

HIT ME WITH THEM ! ! ! ! ! exactly 7 days until she arrives (Flight would be landing 45 mins ago, if this were Friday the 4th!)

Rick

All very good tips!

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I agree with everything, except the take away water before bed time. We never, ever restrict water from our pups or adults. Congrats on our new pup.

The only time we do restrict them is as youngin's before bed -- once they are a little older we dont

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
For Me I have found there all very different , like children . I have had very very easy trainers and ones that take over a year to fully train to go outside
Looks like you have things covered tho

BTW I will throw My aluminium hat into the ring I do baby sitting ...........Just saying ........... lol

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Oh it will come back to you I'm sure. Happy to see you're doing better and congrats on your new little bundle of joy! Can't wait to meet her and watch her grow!

Take Care!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online