will i need a pen?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What do you mean by pen? i would definitley get a crate as you want to crate when you are not at home and let him know that is his safe place

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
He, he... I read 'pen' as in a writing tool! I definitely suspect Castor can read but at 3.5 years he still doesn't write, so for him, no pen is required ;)

He has never had a crate, btw. When he was a pup we blocked off the couch and the bedrooms when we were not at home but apart from that he's had free access to the whole house. I suppose it depends on whether he can be trusted or not. If he might chew on things or pee indoors, letting him be in, say, the kitchen might be an alternative.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
haha im sorry, i fired off this thread pretty quick lol

yah i meant a pen-thingy, you know, to contain the dog, not a crate.

haahha im laughing more as i read the title of this thread again. people must be like wth? what a weirdo :p

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
haha im sorry, i fired off this thread pretty quick lol

yah i meant a pen-thingy, you know, to contain the dog, not a crate.

haahha im laughing more as i read the title of this thread again. people must be like wth? what a weirdo :p

Lolll cant be more weirdo than most of us! I knew what you meant probably why im more wierdo. :lmaogirl:

Yes get a crate/kennel for his safety. When I went to visit Nyala she was in that "pen" and she was able to move it around n jump it. So if I were you, get something thats big enough to lay in when he becomes an adult. Enough to stretch out.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I would go for a crate, get a bigger one most of them can be sectioned off so you can continue to make it larger as they grow, maybe a wire one put some soft towels or a comfy blanket with your scent on it and that baby will feel right at home :)

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
An exercise pen might be okay. I bought a size adjustable crate for chunky and its one size too big but he likes it fine and has never used it to relieve himself

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would still keep him confined when you are gone, it keeps them out of mischief.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
i must've been drunk when i wrote this post haha...
an exercise pen is what i was trying to say. and i was wondering if he would need it when i am home. not as a replacement for a crate.
i would definitely get him a crate for nighttime, naptime, whenever he wants.

im writing this while 1/2 asleep so i may still not make sense lol

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Dont waste money on that. Just get a bigger kennel. If you're home dozer doesn't need to get confined in a play pen or rabbit pen whatever you want to call it. Lol... I like leaving puppies roaming around so long you keep an eye out on them. Get RAW marrow bones keeps them from chewing your furniture and keeps them busy. .

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
The funny thing is we call them a pen here but at first I also thought of the writing pen.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Lolll cant be more weirdo than most of us! I knew what you meant probably why im more wierdo. :lmaogirl:

Yes get a crate/kennel for his safety. When I went to visit Nyala she was in that "pen" and she was able to move it around n jump it. So if I were you, get something thats big enough to lay in when he becomes an adult. Enough to stretch out.

HEY speak for yourself ........... TWITCH TWITCH snorkel ........... Got a huge sale on aluminium Bulldog hats so the aliens do not snatch them btw .......... snorkel twitch

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We call them X-pens and they are great. We use them all the time but mainly outside. They are very versatile...can be folded and arranged into most any shape. Also good for keeping dogs out of an area like where grass needs to be regrown. They can also be zipped together for a LARGE area.
In the home a crate is most always preferred...the #1 reason is having your dog used to being crated when they are recovering from surgery or any medical condition that requires bed rest...most often ortho related.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online