how long do you think a 6 mo old would sleep at night?

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
we're still trying to make a decision on buying an english bulldog so i dont know his sleep habits or anything. how long would you expect a 6 mo old to sleep at night without needing to go poops or pees? i get up at 5 so i have that going for me as far as being up early to take him out.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You shouldn't have any issues at that age. Most are usually clean by then. I use to put Nyala ( now 1yr old) out for her last pee at 11pm and I wake up every day at 6am. Now her last pee is 10 ish pm and she will be good till 7-8am. Also she was crate/kennel at night but I can say the last 2 months her kennel door stays open and she sleeps where she wants. Usually on her big bed in living room. It's all about training. No matter what, you cant get away from it. You or someone might have to once in a while get up in the middle of the night. Like kids or even adults some have to get up at night :)

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
You shouldn't have any issues at that age. Most are usually clean by then. I use to put Nyala ( now 1yr old) out for her last pee at 11pm and I wake up every day at 6am. Now her last pee is 10 ish pm and she will be good till 7-8am. Also she was crate/kennel at night but I can say the last 2 months her kennel door stays open and she sleeps where she wants. Usually on her big bed in living room. It's all about training. No matter what, you cant get away from it. You or someone might have to once in a while get up in the middle of the night. Like kids or even adults some have to get up at night :)

Thanks! What do you mean it's all about training?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks! What do you mean it's all about training?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to train your dog to go on his/her last pee/poop before you go to bed. And when they do make sure you praise them only with words like goooood peee, gooood girl. Dont give a treat as you might need to get up put the dog out lol. Also if its a pup well takes patience. If you're getting an older dog that issue you might not have it. I got Nyala at 3 months she was already paper trained. I just kept paper in the back of her kennel which she refused to go unless it was outside her kennel. I guess I was lucky.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
we're still trying to make a decision on buying an english bulldog so i dont know his sleep habits or anything. how long would you expect a 6 mo old to sleep at night without needing to go poops or pees? i get up at 5 so i have that going for me as far as being up early to take him out.

good guideline is 1 hour more than months old for potty... so at 6 months -- 7 hours is sort of the limit, but as Helene stated.... train them to have a last bedtime potty to match the time you wake... so if 5AM is you up time, be sure potty happens around 11

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
And with puppys and peeing.... if they physically can hold it for 7 hours or sleep for seven hours, they still might not. Like Helene said...it's all about how you train train them, they don't just learn by them selves, not a lot anyways and the things they do learn by themselves are usually considered bad habbits....

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=15395]megdav[/MENTION] I have an 8 mos old male bully who holds it through the night. He is crated at night and goes out to pee before bedtime around 9ish. I too wake up at 5 and I have to physically wake him up to go out. On the weekends we get to sleep in and he will hold it til wake, sometimes as late as 8 am! He's been sleeping thru the night without having to go out for at least 2 mos now. Hope this helps!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online