Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
That would be Cherry Eye. My female Blossom developed Cherry Eye when she was 5 months old. I was able to massage it back in for a short while, but it kept popping out when she played or ran. I showed it to our vet and we opted to wait until she was 7 months old when had her spayed, so we could do both surgeries at once and put her under anesthetic once.
She did really well with both surgeries, and her eye healed beautifully with a great result. Unfortunately a week after her surgeries the other eye popped out, and we had to do a second surgery a month later to repair the other eye. I used over the counter eye drops to keep the eye moist, because when the gland is exposed to the air, it can become dried out and irritated. You can wait a little bit to see if the other eye pops out, it is very common for the other eye to also develop cherry eye. How old is your baby?

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
No- just the left. The right decided to rear its nasty self a year later! [emoji35] My husband is about to have an anxiety attack! Lol- after what we just paid for Penny's TPLO, my daughter needs a tooth pulled and a spacer ($500) and now another cherry eye. At least with this one- I'm removing - not going to go through failed tacks again. [emoji33][emoji20]
We just need a few months for a buffer! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Corine and Lockjaw, Murray and I feel your pain :(
No- just the left. The right decided to rear its nasty self a year later! [emoji35] My husband is about to have an anxiety attack! Lol- after what we just paid for Penny's TPLO, my daughter needs a tooth pulled and a spacer ($500) and now another cherry eye. At least with this one- I'm removing - not going to go through failed tacks again. [emoji33][emoji20]
We just need a few months for a buffer! Lol

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
That would be Cherry Eye. My female Blossom developed Cherry Eye when she was 5 months old. I was able to massage it back in for a short while, but it kept popping out when she played or ran. I showed it to our vet and we opted to wait until she was 7 months old when had her spayed, so we could do both surgeries at once and put her under anesthetic once.
She did really well with both surgeries, and her eye healed beautifully with a great result. Unfortunately a week after her surgeries the other eye popped out, and we had to do a second surgery a month later to repair the other eye. I used over the counter eye drops to keep the eye moist, because when the gland is exposed to the air, it can become dried out and irritated. You can wait a little bit to see if the other eye pops out, it is very common for the other eye to also develop cherry eye. How old is your baby?

Oh yea- been there, done all that. Lol
His left eye popped a year ago. We tacked it 2x's and both times failed, so we had it removed in March. Now just today, his right eye has popped out.
He's right at 17 months and already neutered. I have to drop them off in the morning for Penny (his sister) to get her staples out from her TPLO surgery, and was just going to get him a bath. I guess I'll be adding an estimate to remove that bad boy too.
I appreciate it though.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Oh No, I would remove it too after what you went through before.

I had never heard of Cherry eye before I got Ftse and seems lots of Bullies get them Ftse was just four months old when he got his and it tacked at five months lucky ours was a success.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Geez poor thing. Me too...been there done the tack while spayed.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Oh nooo!! Darn it! After all you went through with the other eye too. Makes me wonder why he is more prone to them because his sister doesn't have any right? I know when it rains it pours!

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Oh nooo!! Darn it! After all you went through with the other eye too. Makes me wonder why he is more prone to them because his sister doesn't have any right? I know when it rains it pours!

Oh I know! Nope Penny has no cherry eye issues (knock on wood). I massaged it back last night, and it's still in. I won't do anything until it won't go back in. It's just very frustrating!

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Oh I know! Nope Penny has no cherry eye issues (knock on wood). I massaged it back last night, and it's still in. I won't do anything until it won't go back in. It's just very frustrating!

Prayers it stays put and that she never has them! Hopefully it was just a one time deal, you need a break!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I noticed that when we play with Nyala with her tug a war rope and she's forcing all face muscles while grunting, her other eye, the 3rd eyelid (cherry eye) seems to surface. Like juuuuust a tad more red and puffy. No problem with any other toys but the ones she has control of by hanging onto them or pulling......errrrr we are done playing with those ones.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=14682]Corine Pesantes[/MENTION] whether you decide to have it removed or tacked, I would have them test the other eye and have them both done at the same time. They can do the other eye whether it has popped out or not. My pup had both eyes tacked when he was 4 months old. Only one was popped out, but almost always the other one pops out at a later time. In most cases, you can wait as it doesn't bother them at all, it's more of an eyesore for us. This was not the case for us, there was no waiting or trying to massage it back it. It popped out with a vengeance. It was about 3x the size of your pups! And so not to compromise it, it had to be tacked asap.
Both financially and health wise its best to have them done at the same time, if needed. Hope this helps!
Your baby looks just as cute with it! :)

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
[MENTION=14682]Corine Pesantes[/MENTION] whether you decide to have it removed or tacked, I would have them test the other eye and have them both done at the same time. They can do the other eye whether it has popped out or not. My pup had both eyes tacked when he was 4 months old. Only one was popped out, but almost always the other one pops out at a later time. In most cases, you can wait as it doesn't bother them at all, it's more of an eyesore for us. This was not the case for us, there was no waiting or trying to massage it back it. It popped out with a vengeance. It was about 3x the size of your pups! And so not to compromise it, it had to be tacked asap.
Both financially and health wise its best to have them done at the same time, if needed. Hope this helps!
Your baby looks just as cute with it! :)

Thank you!
Yea, we've already had the left side removed after 2 failed tacks. His left eye popped out last Oct. we waited until we neutered him in March to tack it. It failed after a week. We attempted to tack again in June - it failed after 4 weeks. And we just finally removed it in Aug.
I wanted to originally wait a few months to see if the right side would pop and it never did, nor did it show signs that it might.
This time it just came out of the blue. And just like yours/ his right.side was huge. Everywhere we went people made comments. And I just wanted to give them out whole history with that damn eye. Lol
But for now, I'll keep massaging it in until it won't go in anymore and then I'll just have it removed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.