Whats the recommend Heartworm and flea/tick preventative?

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I have given Chunky the oral treatments but they always upset his stomach and the new vet talked to me about what I used but we got sidetracked before I thought to ask what they recommend. What do you all use

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I use vectra for flea and tick prevention you put it on their back from bottom to shoulder blades once a month, it works well but you can't touch that area for 24 hours which is a little annoying but my vet gave me a free 3 month supply so we're going with it! I have also used bravecto which is oral flea and tick prevention that you give them every 3 months but I had read something bad about bravecto on here so I discontinued that. I use sentinel (oral) for heart worm. Just a thought, when you were giving the medicine are you giving it with a meal? I know it can upset their stomachs if you give it to them on an empty stomach

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I use vectra for flea and tick prevention you put it on their back from bottom to shoulder blades once a month, it works well but you can't touch that area for 24 hours which is a little annoying but my vet gave me a free 3 month supply so we're going with it! I have also used bravecto which is oral flea and tick prevention that you give them every 3 months but I had read something bad about bravecto on here so I discontinued that. I use sentinel (oral) for heart worm. Just a thought, when you were giving the medicine are you giving it with a meal? I know it can upset their stomachs if you give it to them on an empty stomach

Yeah I always gave it with his morning meal at the same time I give him his daily Nu-Vet. He has no issue taking pills or anything else from my hand

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We use Revolution from June to Oct, it's a once a month dose which is placed in between the shoulder blades. It covers fleas, ticks, heart worm and mange. It works well, my guys have never had fleas, and they don't have any side affects from it. I also give them some natural supplements to help boost the immune system. I add plain unsweetened yogurt to their morning kibble, they get 1 TBSP of apple cider vinegar on their evening kibble, and I also give them a TBSP of Coconut Oil everyday on their evening kibble.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use Sentinel for the heart worm and it's a flea preventative. I have also used Advantage and Frontline in the past... STAY AWAY from Trifexis and Bravecto, they have lawsuits pending.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I use Advantix II and Heartguard plus. I am considering testing three times a year for heartworm instead of the pill.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We use Heartguard & Advantix. Do not use Trifexis and Bravecto!!!! Horror stories on those.

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
We use K9 Advantix II. I like it because it is also good for mosquitos. Never had a problem with any reactions with it except maybe a little bit extra shedding in those spots for the first couple of days. I also give them a good bath 24 hours later... not sure what the instructions say but I want to get it off their fur once it's absorbed.

We only use from April/May to October.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
We use Sentinel for heartworm and the Seresto collar for fleas and ticks.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Heartguard plus for heart worms and frontline - every 3-4 months for flea/ ticks. We also have our yard sprayed with organic stuff. No issues with either. But same as others, yogurt, ACV, coconut oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We use Advantage Multi for both our dogs year round. Monty was on it when we got him so we have continued with it. I don't like using any of this stuff but needs must in Texas.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We use Sentinel for heartworm and Vectra 3D for flea/ticks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions