I think it's a hot spot? :/

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I looked a little through the site and I'm not sure where to start... i noticed on Monday a raw spot just behind Winslow's ear. It was the size of a dime.

Nowwww.. it is not so small. And after reading about hot spots (which i had thought of, and then blew off!!!) I'm thinking this should have been addressed then. :(
I did get some Vetricyn on it (til i realized it expired in 2014), and have been cleaning up with Duoxo pads.

296525c17b39ad4b407e36ff19ea7342.jpg

beed42b7f3e98d68ee1f3cf8c6ae2fcd.jpg

0ceecf4b0ef48a33b88a32ffdefa601f.jpg

I had to use the flash, I think that made it look uglier than it is! :eek:

I'll make a vet appointment tomorrow - i would try and shave it down myself and stock up on more Vetricyn andanything else to help him out, but at this point I'm not sure that's the right move.

Feel free to throw me some pointers! Thankyou!

Here is a picture of his bully butt; your reward for reading this. :D
daa80723fed0f389a8d734e0ff39d526.jpg

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
TYVM for the reward...my day is now complete. :D
It's a hot spot and needs to be shaved. Once shaved it will dry and scab over. Expect healing to take at least 4 weeks...provided he doesn't keep digging at it.
Our Zoey got a major hot spot on her neck last year. An E collar was not an option. We ended up shaving it, dressing with a pee pad after spraying with Betagen and wrapping a belly band around it and securing it with duct tape. We changed the dressing nightly for the first week then every other night the second week and every 3 days until healed. It healed quickly. The key is shaving, keeping it dry, and not letting it get scratched.

Good luck, have fun, love that boy!

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Gosh!!! I do remember a really bad hotspot on here a while back, wondering if that was yours.

Now do you have to continually shave it down? Or just once is enough to keep it dried/prevent the ooze from sticking everything together?

So far he's not too bothered by it, so fingers crossed he doesn't need a cone! He broke a nail over the summer and had it on for weeks... please, not again!

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
And thanks for your reply [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] Glad you liked your reward [emoji14]

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yep, hot spot. Vetericyn is great. If you do end up at the vet, ask for Animax! It's amazing I always keep some on hand. Then the minute I see one starting I put some on it and it's gone in a day.

Chip has you covered!!

And I love that booty. Best reward ever :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Now do you have to continually shave it down?
No, shave only once and it will/should be healed long before the hair grows back. It will take a long time for the hair to grow back. Just be patient, it'll get there.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Yep, hot spot. Vetericyn is great. If you do end up at the vet, ask for Animax! It's amazing I always keep some on hand. Then the minute I see one starting I put some on it and it's gone in a day.

Chip has you covered!!

And I love that booty. Best reward ever :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow! Will definitely try to keep some on hand.
And i love that booty too!
No, shave only once and it will/should be healed long before the hair grows back. It will take a long time for the hair to grow back. Just be patient, it'll get there.
Okay, good to know.

I did wonder if I could shave it myself, but the gunk has pretty much solidified/matted and it's a rolly part of skin anyway. So off to the vet we go in an hour!

Thanks guys :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCH.... yep, hot spot and the gang sure has you covered,

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Poor Winslow! Castor went through that during the summer. Vet shaved and we washed him with TrizCHLOR 4 Shampoo once a day (wait ten minutes before rinsing off schampoo). Didn't seem to hurt, Castor liked the treatment, and the sores healed up within a week. Here's what he looked like when we had just been at the vet's and then a week later. Two months on, and the fur is back too.
IMG_3082.JPG IMG_3224.JPG

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Took him in... shaved him up and checked his ears, looks like he has a small ear infection. Another first! :ohmy:

I already forget the names of what they gave me... but will post later and keep updated in case these might work for anyone else. :)

e9219a6f99cd299dbb98421a583563e7.jpg

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] ouchies! I'm glad it did heal that easily.

I looked at Elmo's thread and yes [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] that was the one I had remembered.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Took him in...
If his left ear is the infected one(and I'd bet on it) that would be the cause of the hot spot. Your baby was scratching at his infected ear and irritated the skin below it. Head shaking and abnormal scratching are early signs that something is amiss.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
If his left ear is the infected one(and I'd bet on it) that would be the cause of the hot spot. Your baby was scratching at his infected ear and irritated the skin below it. Head shaking and abnormal scratching are early signs that something is amiss.

Left ear. You're rich!

You know, he did a little bit of head-rubbing on the floor this week but i thought nothing of it. I'll pay better attention next time i see anything like that.

So the hot spots are caused by the surface being irritated? Or can they present by themselves. I knew they were often some kind of secondary symptom but didn't know that his own scratching/rubbing could cause it.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
In our experience hot spots are almost always caused by scratching due to itch...be it a chemical burn(usually a reaction to a shampoo), a bug bite, a butt itch from a tail issue or anal gland, or quite possibly, an ear infection.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.