Bulldog in deep grief

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I'm so sorry, this is heartbreaking. Rest in Peace Sweet Sherman. I hope Custer's pain, as well as yours will heal in time<3

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am so sorry for your loss. Those are not just words, as I do know your pain, and have been there too often. I would definitely get another dog for Custer. I had two Belgian Malanois. They were like two peas in a pod. The male died of cancer-even though I had other dogs,I saw a change in the female-a depression. I really thought she would adjust,but just a few months later,she just died. I really believe she died of a broken heart,as she was a healthy dog. All this to say that I believe that they can truly grieve themselves to death. Perhaps you can take your breeder friend's dog-let her breed her,when she is ready to have her pups-bring her back to breeder,bring Custer for visits,and when pups are weaned,bring her home.
You will never "get over" your loss, but time really does help things,but I think helping your remaining baby is the priority. God Bless you and your family [MENTION=4717]mcardle3[/MENTION] I am truly sorry for you all. There is NEVER enough time-no matter how much...........

Florasaurus

May 16, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bluebelle
I'm so sorry. This breaks my heart. Sounds like he would definitely like another companion. Nothing will replace his buddy but would help the sadness ❤️

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I am so sorry for your loss, God Bless You and Your Family. I know it is so hard, I have been there many times with my four legged babies, but I do smile knowing that one day I will see them never to part again. Love, Susan and Elmo

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
First let me express my sincerest sympathy for your loss.
Dogs absolutely grieve.
My Schultz went through a depression after my dad died (he lived with us).
They spent a lot of time together and Schultz spent his days in my dads bedroom - waiting for him to return.
It was hard to get Schultz's interest but I purposely shook up his routine - special trips, extra car rides, new meals, lots of exercise (or just fresh air) ... any thing to distract him.
I gave him time and extra attention and his depression lessened...
I hope they meet again in heaven but my Schultz is his happy self again (it takes time)
Hang in there much positive energy is being sent your way[emoji4]

JoeR53

Jul 24, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Blu Lily Gemma
So sorry for your loss. We had a bonded pair of EBs. When Dot died, Blu reacted much the same way. About a month after Dot passed, we got 9 week old Lily. Blu seemed to get better very quickly. It's been fifteen months now and they are pals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I am so sorry. My inlaws took 2 puppies that I rescued a brother and sister. The girl recently passed due to a long battle with an illness and the boy was so depressed. He used to be so independent but after that happened he completely attached himself to my inlaws. I'm sure your boy will find comfort in just being around you at this time. Just like humans it will take a while to get over the loss. Big hugs!

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Sorry for your loss!! I have never had two dogs at once but my mother had a pekingese who ran away after the cat we inherited with the house died. He had always went out and came straight back to the door but we think he went looking for the cat and got lost. My mother always came home at lunch to let him out

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We have a lovely breeder friend who has been talking to us about taking one of her gorgeous girls, but she wants to breed her first. This would mean no new companion for approximately 5 more months, and I'll be honest, I don't think any of us can take this for 5 more months.

I worry about getting a puppy. We both work regular work hours. We have a dog walker come in each day to take Custer out. She used to come let them both out...she stays and plays with him and he loves her, but it isn't the same as being home alone most of the day...when you are used to having a brother you snuggled with and just was with.

Last night he kept disappearing. We found him under the bed, looking. This compounds our grief.
I am wondering if we should not look for someone with a bulldog brother/sister for him that is a little older.

Rescue or foster. Im sure it will help.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I am so sorry for your loss. I think a friend will make all the difference.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
So sorry for the loss of your precious baby. Hope Custer and you all are feeling better although nothing can replace your bully. I know how you feel and I my Diva grieved so deeply when Samson passed. Very similar to Custer. [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty, Sophie, & sometimes fosters
So. so sorry !!! :( I'm sending you and everyone who loved him LOTS of ((( hugs ))))

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
First let me offer my condolences on your loss of Sherman. I know first hand how devastating it can be for all. We suddenly lost our Raven in June and Tyson fell into such a deep depression I couldn't stand to watch it. While we were all grieving he was really lost. So I searched out a new sister for him. When we brought her home he took to her immediately. If you can afford it or can find a dog in your local rescue it would be a good idea. People told me not to worry becuase he would get over it but I didn't see any sign of it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have a lovely breeder friend who has been talking to us about taking one of her gorgeous girls, but she wants to breed her first. This would mean no new companion for approximately 5 more months, and I'll be honest, I don't think any of us can take this for 5 more months.

I worry about getting a puppy. We both work regular work hours. We have a dog walker come in each day to take Custer out. She used to come let them both out...she stays and plays with him and he loves her, but it isn't the same as being home alone most of the day...when you are used to having a brother you snuggled with and just was with.

Last night he kept disappearing. We found him under the bed, looking. This compounds our grief.

I am wondering if we should not look for someone with a bulldog brother/sister for him that is a little older.

Wondering how you and Custer are doing?

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
Thank you for asking!

Custer is still mopey and sad.

We leave this weekend to bring home his new sister/brother.

We are being offered a choice (or both...we can't take both, so it will be one) between two gorgeous dogs from a friend of a breeder/show dog friend of ours. We are so excited.

Custer has not been the same. Our dog walker told me the other day she is having to make him get out of bed, make him go outside. My 8 year old granddaughter said Tuesday night that we shouldn't wait too much longer, he's been sad long enough.

She is right.

So, Saturday morning, we'll load Custer in the car, head to Illinois, and bring him home with a brother or sister. :D :D :D I will post photos.

On our way home, we will stop at the lake house (Lake Michigan, on the dunes.)

It is one of Custer's favorite places on earth. Last time we were there, he wouldn't run on the beach, or jump on the paddle board all excited to go out. He lay at our feet and was too quiet. (see photos).

Here's hoping his new sibling will bring him back to us all happy and goofy...we get glimpses of it, and love that.

14495300_10154086671989370_8606166011795187217_n.jpg14611085_10154086623104370_7250772956534549727_n.jpg14650151_10154086655039370_9204841048542630805_n.jpg15178043_10154232119844370_9123034719778331528_n.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.