Getting a second bully

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
So we've finally moved and bought our own house, ruby settled really well and Is loving the extra room in both the house and the garden, now that were in and all settled, im thinking of getting ruby a friend, the lady we got her off has her sister who has just had a small litter of pups 3girls and one boy, which I'm thinking of having one from but not sure if to get a boy or a girl..in the terms of living togeather and them getting on is it better to have a girl and boy or girl & girl? My husband is constantly saying ruby would love a friend, but I'm abit jebeous as we have no kids and ruby is really spoilt and used to all are attention and I wonder how she would react to having another bully about the place, she's gets on well with other dogs when we're out walking and plays well with next doors dog, but I'm not sure if she would get jealous of having another dog about the place..would love to hear off those who have more then one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I have always had 4 or 5 dogs at a time. It is very hard for me to resist puppies! Most all my dogs,but 3 were females. Many people say that it is better to have 1 of each-but I have never had a problem. Whenever I have gotten a pup,I guess I have been very lucky because they have always welcomed it. The only factor that may have made a difference for me,is that they never were an "only child" and there was always more than one. It is hard to determine how she will accept a pup. One test would be to have another dog come to,and in your home with her, to see how your dog reacts.Some dogs do not accept another on "their turf". Several months ago I brought home a rescue little shaggy dog,and no one cared! Other people may have some good suggestions!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gender you select should be based on your leadership and the temperament of the pups. Having one of each gender usually fair better, but same gender can work as long as they have structured environments.

Good luck on your decision and keep us posted--- pictures too

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thank-you, we've never had two dogs before always had just the one so I as you can imagine I'm a little apprehensive about getting another one, I worry about then falling out while we're out etc

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
We have 5 dogs here 3 females and two males ( By accident )
I say accident as all but one of my dogs are from rescues or similar situations , I am a huge fan of females only never ever had issues with a all female home for My dogs, we had been told of Dakota in a poor situation ( A Male ) and i broke my own rule and took him in .
My son unknown to us had also found out about Odin a Cane Corso in a even worse situation , and without talking to us got the pup out of the problem thinking we would take him on also , We have a large house and app 7 acres so is not a space issue .
The issue was 1 st= spraying neutered or not , 2nd = who was going to be the dominate male in the house under ME = dog fights , and we have had both . If it was a single male dog surrounded by females no issue . There is no way i would give up on either male ever so we still get the odd male domination fight , rare the urine spraying if it happens it is when we leave them at home alone now a day but it happens .
If it was me from My experience I would get a female for a buddy for Ruby , they will still have to work out a pecking order but that is time and easy training , at this time it is Rubies house so any dog introduced they will still have to figure out the pecking order .
GL please let us know how it goes .

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank-you, we've never had two dogs before always had just the one so I as you can imagine I'm a little apprehensive about getting another one, I worry about then falling out while we're out etc

How old is Ruby? If you're worried why dont you foster a bully and see what happens. Just a thought. :)

Florasaurus

May 16, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bluebelle
I have two bullies and they get along pretty well besides Bluebelle biting Marigold a lot. She is a puppy so that I'm hoping will go away the older she gets. I think they like having a companion when we're gone. We plan to rescue more when we build a fence. It's hard enough watching 2 right now though.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I have 4 dogs, the last being my English bulldog and she is the only one to stir up any trouble. Do any of your friends have maybe another dog you can "watch" for a few days to see how she reacts to having a new dog in her turf? Bulldogs can be jealous and strong willed and depending on how old she is she may not take to a puppy's energy at first. My oldest dog was 8 when we got Biscuit as a pup, she annoyed her to no end and no matter how many times she got snapped at she would just go right back at it lol. Good thing my older dogs were more patient.

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
I have 4 dogs, the last being my English bulldog and she is the only one to stir up any trouble. Do any of your friends have maybe another dog you can "watch" for a few days to see how she reacts to having a new dog in her turf? Bulldogs can be jealous and strong willed and depending on how old she is she may not take to a puppy's energy at first. My oldest dog was 8 when we got Biscuit as a pup, she annoyed her to no end and no matter how many times she got snapped at she would just go right back at it lol. Good thing my older dogs were more patient.

Yes my friend has a bully that I could perhaps watch for a few days trouble is she lives a good hour and a half away but I could perhaps ask her to come stop for the weekend with Oscar & see how they get on..Ruby's two and still full of energy, I just worry if I get another one and they fall out while we're at work.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Yes my friend has a bully that I could perhaps watch for a few days trouble is she lives a good hour and a half away but I could perhaps ask her to come stop for the weekend with Oscar & see how they get on..Ruby's two and still full of energy, I just worry if I get another one and they fall out while we're at work

It's worth a try! As for when you are gone, if you leave Ruby out in the house keep the puppy crated or confined. It will help keep them separate and with house training. Plus that will give Ruby her full reign again and a break from the craziness of a puppy. As for male/female I wouldn't worry but I'd pick off of personality. Go with the most laid back so it doesn't try to challenge her. I picked a wild one and I'm paying the price lol.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=13035]ruby[/MENTION] HI I have 2 male bulldogs. We got our second one about 4 months ago, he was 3 months old and our other one was 10 months old, we've had him since he was 2 months. For the most part, they get along fairly well. They have never shown any aggressiveness towards each other, but they do play really rough and do not stop until we intervene, which is the main reason we do not leave them alone together. When we're gone for long periods of time (more than 2hrs) one is confined to the kitchen and the other in a lower level of the home. Neither is confined to their cages during the day, only at night, where they sleep. For shorter trips, the younger one is confined in his cage, while the older one stays out in the kitchen.
I'm hoping as the lil one get older he will outgrow some of that playfulness and settle down some, so we can leave them together. They are total opposite of each other with the lil one very hyer and can play for hours, whereas the older one is very laid back and loves to sleep.
We did have them meet outside the house, then walked them together around the block. Upon arriving home we let the older one enter the house first. Not sure if that helped any, but that's how we were instructed to introduce them. Hope this helps! They are like potato chips you cant just have one! lol

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
[MENTION=13035]ruby[/MENTION] HI I have 2 male bulldogs. We got our second one about 4 months ago, he was 3 months old and our other one was 10 months old, we've had him since he was 2 months. For the most part, they get along fairly well. They have never shown any aggressiveness towards each other, but they do play really rough and do not stop until we intervene, which is the main reason we do not leave them alone together. When we're gone for long periods of time (more than 2hrs) one is confined to the kitchen and the other in a lower level of the home. Neither is confined to their cages during the day, only at night, where they sleep. For shorter trips, the younger one is confined in his cage, while the older one stays out in the kitchen.
I'm hoping as the lil one get older he will outgrow some of that playfulness and settle down some, so we can leave them together. They are total opposite of each other with the lil one very hyer and can play for hours, whereas the older one is very laid back and loves to sleep.
We did have them meet outside the house, then walked them together around the block. Upon arriving home we let the older one enter the house first. Not sure if that helped any, but that's how we were instructed to introduce them. Hope this helps! They are like potato chips you cant just have one! lol

Thank-you, you are right they are like potato chips you can't just have one

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.