6.5 year old way too hyper bully - please help

AirHej

Oct 6, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Beckett
Hello All,

1st post here. Our female bulldog is 6.5 years old and as we like to call her, our first born. We got her at 9 weeks old from a local breeder. She is AKC registered and comes from a good line it seemed. She is spayed and attends doggy daycare once per week. During the first two years of her life, we took her for a multitude of training classes and she became an AKC Canine Good Citizen. However, sheā€™s always been a hyper little dog and absolutely loves humans and wants to greet them as soon as she sees them. The girl constantly needs attention and wants to be petted. If someone arrives at our house and we decide to crate her for her to chill out, sheā€™ll whine or bark for quite a while. For the first six years, we fed her basically on a raw frozen diet using a combo of Natureā€™s Variety and Dr. Harveyā€™s. The raw patties became too expensive so we made the switch to Honest Kitchen Embark. She loves food and appetite has never been a problem.

Fast forward to 2014 when she was a little over four, we introduced a human baby to the mix. Sheā€™s unfortunately never really been a fan of our son. If he was crawling or now when he can walk, she would often times try to hump him. I almost feel as if she sees him as another dog. My son adores her and wants to play with her, but sheā€™s really not having it. Total contrast from my in-laws golden doodle who my son will play with all day long and is super gentle towards him. In August 2016 we introduced another baby to the family. We did all of the things you are supposed to, brought home the blanket from the hospital the night before for her to sniff, etc. Sheā€™s ok around the baby, but overall we donā€™t really trust her.

At this point, as much as I love my bully, sheā€™s become a nuisance. I donā€™t want to re-home her, however, I fear my wife is nearing her wits end trying to take care of two little humans and having to deal with an energetic bully. Is there something we can do to calm her down? Iā€™ve spoken with the vet about it and he prescribed some Zoloft as he felt she may be anxious. We chalked up her energy early on to being a puppy and ā€œohh sheā€™ll grow out of it,ā€ but almost 7 years later sheā€™s pretty much the same as she was as a puppy. Sheā€™s absolutely not typical of the English Bulldog breed that we read about and hoped we'd get.

Ohhh one more thing, she absolutely hates moving objects. We canā€™t use a vacuum cleaner or broom/mop when sheā€™s around because she goes nuts and gets overly aggressive and tries to bite those objects. Same if my son had some walking toy. As you all know with the amount bullies shed, this is a major problem in a hope that has many carpeted rooms.

Thanks for reading this and Iā€™m hopeful one of you can help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!

All you describe IS typical bulldog behavior, they want to always be with their humans it is how they get the nick-name 'Velcro-dog'. All four of my babies have had some level of issue with a moving object... broom, vacuum cleaner, empty trash bag, dust mop... all typical. Heck, my Dyson has scars from Banks attacking it.

Beckett may also be looking for leadership, her high energy and anxious antics is most likely related to not knowing who is the leader in the household. Are you and your wife using all the same limitations and commands with her? Crating is not going to solve the issue, it may make it worse as she will she is as punishment/separation and cause more anxiety ... try taking her for a long walk or playing fetch in the yard... a tired puppy/dog is a good puppy/dog.

As for shedding, my guys barely shed unless it is the 2x a year they are blowing their coat... give her some vitamin D it should help with the shedding, but also keep in mind even though she is on a fantastic food (THK), it may not be the right one for her, maybe try a different protein?

Lastly, the issue may even lay in the one statement... 'overall, we really don't trust her'. Beckett senses and knows this which gives her an unbalanced feeling in the leadership of the household, which in turn causes her anxiety, humping and what appears to be un-acceptance of the children. You and your wife need to give her consistent structure and limitations, but not punishment.

Hope this helps.... please keep us posted

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Welcome to EBN!

All you describe IS typical bulldog behavior, they want to always be with their humans it is how they get the nick-name 'Velcro-dog'. All four of my babies have had some level of issue with a moving object... broom, vacuum cleaner, empty trash bag, dust mop... all typical. Heck, my Dyson has scars from Banks attacking it.

Beckett may also be looking for leadership, her high energy and anxious antics is most likely related to not knowing who is the leader in the household. Are you and your wife using all the same limitation and commands with her? Crating is not going to solve the issue, it may make it worse as she will she is as punishment/separation and cause more anxiety ... try talking her for a long walk or playing fetch in the yard... a tired puppy/dog is a good puppy/dog.

As for shedding, my guys barely shed unless it is the 2x a year they are blowing their coat... give her some vitamin D it should help with the shedding, but also keep in mind even though she is on a fantastic food (THK), it may not be the right one for her, maybe try a different protein?

Lastly, the issue may even lay in the one statement... 'overall, we really don't trust her'. Beckett senses and knows this which gives her an unbalanced feeling in the leadership of the household, which in turn cause her anxiety, humping and what appears to be acceptance of the children. You and your wife need to give her structure and limitations, but not punishment.

:goodpost:

This post above is spot on. I will add that after you had "human" babies, Beckett probably sensed the switch of attention. I know it sounds funny, but she needs his attention too to still feel like part of the family. Maybe some one on one time with each of you when the babies are asleep to let her know she's still your first baby.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Have you used the Zoloft as prescribed?
What did you observe?
What about her do you not "trust"?
Am I to understand the she's become a nuisance because she is craving attention?
Is it possible that because of the additions to the family she's not getting the same measure of attention that she once did?
Has Beckett ever growled, snapped, or bitten either child?

FWIW, about 1/3rd of the Bulldogs that come through our rescue group I would consider "active". Less than 10% I would consider "VERY active". We own 2 of the "VERY active" models. We manage them and love them very much. It takes work, effort. Our other girl is relatively laid back. By your description of Beckett I would consider her moderate to active. She's not so abnormal for a bulldog. All of mine want to eat my vacuum cleaner(s). I simply put them in another room when I'm using the vacs.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I fully understand that it might be a difficult situation for your wife with two babies and an active dog. Although I cannot offer any direct advice, what you write makes me think that perhaps you bulldog would benefit from more time at the doggie daycare or if you could have someone come and take her out for a walk and some play - as @TwoBullyMama says, a tired dog is a good dog!

Our Castor is a laid-back boy, but he's very much like a child in that his behaviour will depend on what the day has been like. On days when he doesn't play with other dogs or when it's rainy and he doesn't want to walk much, he will lick his feet and scratch himself far more than on more active days with play and perhaps a countryside walk.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When my bulldogs try to hump the kids it is because they love them and are showing affection. Humping does not always equal dominance. Why do we hump? Because we are happy!

The other stuff is typical bulldog and it just sounds like your bulldog is getting on your nerves honestly and that can happen, which makes people tend to get picky.

Give it time, your young children and your bulldog will be best friends.

OP
AirHej

AirHej

Oct 6, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Beckett
Welcome to EBN!

Beckett may also be looking for leadership, her high energy and anxious antics is most likely related to not knowing who is the leader in the household. Are you and your wife using all the same limitations and commands with her? Crating is not going to solve the issue, it may make it worse as she will she is as punishment/separation and cause more anxiety ... try taking her for a long walk or playing fetch in the yard... a tired puppy/dog is a good puppy/dog.

Lastly, the issue may even lay in the one statement... 'overall, we really don't trust her'. Beckett senses and knows this which gives her an unbalanced feeling in the leadership of the household, which in turn causes her anxiety, humping and what appears to be un-acceptance of the children. You and your wife need to give her consistent structure and limitations, but not punishment.

Thank you so much for the welcome and detailed response. Appreciate the suggestion about Vitamin D and will definitely try it out. Both my wife and I maintain consistent commands and limitations with her (i.e. no jumping/leaning on the dinner table or high chair by saying "sit" or "off.") Disappointing to hear it's common for bullies to not like moving objects. Is there any theory as to why this is? Never heard bullies be called "velco dogs" but that certainly fits her to a tee. She LOVES human attention/affection.

:goodpost:

This post above is spot on. I will add that after you had "human" babies, Beckett probably sensed the switch of attention. I know it sounds funny, but she needs his attention too to still feel like part of the family. Maybe some one on one time with each of you when the babies are asleep to let her know she's still your first baby.

Great idea. I think we both need to make a conscious effort to spend more time with her.

Have you used the Zoloft as prescribed?
What did you observe?
What about her do you not "trust"?
Am I to understand the she's become a nuisance because she is craving attention?
Is it possible that because of the additions to the family she's not getting the same measure of attention that she once did?
Has Beckett ever growled, snapped, or bitten either child?

FWIW, about 1/3rd of the Bulldogs that come through our rescue group I would consider "active". Less than 10% I would consider "VERY active". We own 2 of the "VERY active" models. We manage them and love them very much. It takes work, effort. Our other girl is relatively laid back. By your description of Beckett I would consider her moderate to active. She's not so abnormal for a bulldog. All of mine want to eat my vacuum cleaner(s). I simply put them in another room when I'm using the vacs.

Thanks for the response. We've used the Zoloft now for about a month and I haven't seen much of a change in her behavior. Seems to be the same dog. In terms of not trusting her, if my son is on the ground and wants to play with her, she has lunged at him and in fact did it last night. Never broken skin or anything but I guess I can't tell if it's her way of playing or being aggressive. She's never been that way with adults. When I referred to her as a nuisance, it's more in situations when the house is chaos and say the kids are crying and its bedtime and you put her in her crate for the evening (which she has no problems sleeping in), but starts whining loudly b/c she wants to come out and be a part of the action. It seems silly now that I type it out, but when you are stressed, that whining is the last thing you want to hear. Haha.

I fully understand that it might be a difficult situation for your wife with two babies and an active dog. Although I cannot offer any direct advice, what you write makes me think that perhaps you bulldog would benefit from more time at the doggie daycare or if you could have someone come and take her out for a walk and some play - as @TwoBullyMama says, a tired dog is a good dog!

Our Castor is a laid-back boy, but he's very much like a child in that his behaviour will depend on what the day has been like. On days when he doesn't play with other dogs or when it's rainy and he doesn't want to walk much, he will lick his feet and scratch himself far more than on more active days with play and perhaps a countryside walk.

Good idea. I've been suggested to take her on more walks or take her to daycare days. There are definitely differences in her behavior on days when she's been super active with her friends than on regular days when she's just around the house.

When my bulldogs try to hump the kids it is because they love them and are showing affection. Humping does not always equal dominance. Why do we hump? Because we are happy!

The other stuff is typical bulldog and it just sounds like your bulldog is getting on your nerves honestly and that can happen, which makes people tend to get picky.

Give it time, your young children and your bulldog will be best friends.

Paws crossed you are right! I've seen so many great stories of bullies and their little humans being the best of friends. Well, she also humps jugs of water and her big Jolly egg. So I assume that's a sign of dominance or am I wrong?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Great advice by these knowledgeable members...just the best!

You might bring in a bulldog expert trainer (ask to call a couple clients).
To observe all the family dynamics & interactions & give direction.

Good luck & please update us!

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Wooooo sounds very familiar when we took EllaMay in last year boy oh boy she's hyper and it's gotten better it takes time we go run her in the pasture a couple days a week and lots of tug toys. I need to Video when I get home.

Also about the other night without seeing it I'm gonna say it's excitement the baby is her level. Just food for thought.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.