Nellics

Oct 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maj'or
EBN family I need so advice. My new puppy is only 8 weeks old and I don't won't him roaming around at night while we sleep and he's not getting in the bed with us. I have a crate but during the day he's in it. My question is what can I do to break up the time he's in his crate. Schedule is goes in crate at 11pm, out of crate at 6am to eat, potty and chill lol, Back in crate at 7:30 so I can head to work. Back home at noon to feed and let him out back in crate at 12:30 until 4pm when we get home.... Monday-Thursday. I have gates that I could use to section off an area during the day if that would help. Any advice would be appreciated.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had a penned area that I used during the day w/water bowl, bed and toys in it... then at night I used the crate. The penned area is great because they can play and burn off some energy so they are not SO crazy by the time you get home in the afternoon. I was using pee pads too, but I will warn you... MOST pups will eat them, so I was pretty much cleaning up accidents daily. This will get better the older he gets I promise...

Make sure that the toys you put in the pen is something he can have unsupervised like antlers, KONG toys are pretty safe too. You don't want to leave something that can be a chocking hazard...

OP
Nellics

Nellics

Oct 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maj'or
Thank you so much for the great advice.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Keep in mind... a crate protects your home from your puppy.. MORE Importantly it protects your puppy from your home (I.E. Chewing on electrical wires) When puppy is going to be Unsupervised -- put him in the crate (or in a X-pen) especially at that age.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
They may potty train faster with the crate. We gated ours in the kitchen but he took forever to train. You could also try a dog walker or cuddle.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Both of mine are crated at night and during the day while at work. They go down around 9:30pm. Up at 5:00am for breakfast and potty. Back in at 6:30am until about 4:45pm when we get home. They both do very well and go in their crates on command. As soon as we get home in the evening we take them out for a walk or to play in the yard to stretch them out and release some energy. Another walk in the evening before we settle in for the night.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
There's nothing wrong with your current method. Keep in mind that your pup is probably sleeping the time away when you aren't there. If your pup wasn't crated it would still be sleeping away the time or...
getting into something they shouldn't be. Keep up the good work I say.
As previously mentioned, the crating is as much about protecting your bulldog as it is your home.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We used a combination of the crate and play pen with good results.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
EBN family I need so advice. My new puppy is only 8 weeks old and I don't won't him roaming around at night while we sleep and he's not getting in the bed with us. I have a crate but during the day he's in it. My question is what can I do to break up the time he's in his crate. Schedule is goes in crate at 11pm, out of crate at 6am to eat, potty and chill lol, Back in crate at 7:30 so I can head to work. Back home at noon to feed and let him out back in crate at 12:30 until 4pm when we get home.... Monday-Thursday. I have gates that I could use to section off an area during the day if that would help. Any advice would be appreciated.

Great schedule to me.... stay with it and his crate will always be a safe place for him.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
When I leave the house Nyala goes on her own in her crate. For her its her security place.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
A crate is a safe place not a jail and should not be used to correct inappropriate behavior. My 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.