Penny's getting ACL surgery tomorrow. [emoji31]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We'll get through it @rjisaterp! Vet just text me. They haven't started yet - but all pre-op work is done and everything looks great. Next update will be after the surgery. I write this with tears welling up now.

I actually found a TPLO Home Recovery Program Booklet. It broke down all stages of healing and what therapies to do when and how long. I'm going to bring that in tomorrow and see if its vet approved. ;)

As soon as she gets the "OK" for swimming, I'll be taking her to the therapy resort for swimming in the hopes that we can build that muscle up.

I also have a wagon that she LOVES to ride in. I'll probably stuff it with a comforter and take her a evening rides to get her out of the house and out if her crate so she wont get depressed. Im just worried that im going to do something wrong and she wont heal right. UGH- this is stressful.

I'm so late to the boards today.... hugs, hugs and positive thoughts. praying all is going well

Kyrie06

Sep 1, 2014
Seattle, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank & Nala
Ugh! It's been way too long! Life really has been chaotic lately.

In other news- Penny's jump from the couch in July has progressed into a complete tear in her left leg.

My baby is going to have to go under tomorrow, doing TPLO. I'm so nervous for her and her recovery and feel bad that she doesn't even know how much pain she's going to be in tomorrow.

Any and all advice with recovery and therapy will be well received.

The place where she is having her surgery is local and also offers a rehab center.

But all in all please say a prayer for my sweet Penny. That she has a swift recovery, while being as comfortable and pain free as possible. Also that her right leg doesn't tear either! I'm looking into a sling to help her get around and to avoid putting all that pressure on the opposite leg.

Thank you everyone in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope Penny is recovering well. My bully Tank just got diagnosed with a torn ACL my vet recommended TPLO surgery. I read the comments in your post. I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this. I felt like such a bad dog mom when I got the vet call. He was trying to jump on the bed.
what has the recovery been like? Did your vet recommend therapy afterwards? If so what kind

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Wow just reading this now.... penny penny penny, make momma pround as you always do. You got that baby girl :2thumbs:
Corine you have 2 great troopers! Hang in there she'll be fine!! LJ is going great so will Ms Penny. :yes:

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Hope Penny is recovering well. My bully Tank just got diagnosed with a torn ACL my vet recommended TPLO surgery. I read the comments in your post. I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this. I felt like such a bad dog mom when I got the vet call. He was trying to jump on the bed.
what has the recovery been like? Did your vet recommend therapy afterwards? If so what kind

Don't feel bad at all. Penny jumped off of the couch ONE time and this happened. My other bulldog Lockjaw will run and jump on and off all the couches while trying to play (he's totally not allowed to do that - he's just crazy hyper!)
She is actually doing pretty amazing! Vet said she could do normal walking around the house, but just in and out and ALWAYS leashed when going potty. Being a week out now, she's trying to get around a little more and walking a little better. She rested herself for most of the first week- which shocked me. So I didn't have to kennel her- except at night and while we are at work. The swelling is starting to subside now as well. I haven't had to help her at all to eat or use the bathroom. She has only been on rimadyl and seems to do fine with that. Just today I'm going to take her down to 1/2 a rimadyl instead of 1 a day. I don't want her to feel TOO good and try to do more that what she's able to do.
Vet didn't talk about a specific therapy regiment right now. She gets her staples out next week, then I will probably start taking her swimming. Although, I do massage her leg and ice it.
We were home with her for the first 5 days too.
All in all- for being the first week in and hearing and reading about the surgery and other recovery stories - Penny's experience hasn't been anything close to what I've read. I anticipated it being soooooo much worse than what it has been. So either she tolerates pain REALLY well, or she was just truly blessed to have as best of a recovery as I think she could have gotten. Maybe it's her age- 16 months, so still a puppy? But at the end of he day- she walks soooo much better and easier now after the surgery than before.
This is all still new to us, but I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Plus there's plenty of other members that have gone through this type of surgery- unfortunately it's pretty common.
Good Luck!

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Wow just reading this now.... penny penny penny, make momma pround as you always do. You got that baby girl :2thumbs:
Corine you have 2 great troopers! Hang in there she'll be fine!! LJ is going great so will Ms Penny. :yes:

Thank you!!! She's truly doing amazing! Better recovery than her spay/nares surgery! Crazy right?!?
One week down, 11-15 to go. LOL!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ugh! It's been way too long! Life really has been chaotic lately.

In other news- Penny's jump from the couch in July has progressed into a complete tear in her left leg.

My baby is going to have to go under tomorrow, doing TPLO. I'm so nervous for her and her recovery and feel bad that she doesn't even know how much pain she's going to be in tomorrow.

Any and all advice with recovery and therapy will be well received.

The place where she is having her surgery is local and also offers a rehab center.

But all in all please say a prayer for my sweet Penny. That she has a swift recovery, while being as comfortable and pain free as possible. Also that her right leg doesn't tear either! I'm looking into a sling to help her get around and to avoid putting all that pressure on the opposite leg.

Thank you everyone in advance!

Saw this though of you!

https://youtu.be/w_f6eOvsSWo

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
When I saw the video I just cracked up. All I saw is Ms Penny in her buggy. Just not purple hahahaha

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:laugh:

Kyrie06

Sep 1, 2014
Seattle, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank & Nala
Thank you for all your advice and explanation on the recovery. Hope Penny is still recovering great.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.