Penny's getting ACL surgery tomorrow. [emoji31]

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Ugh! It's been way too long! Life really has been chaotic lately.

In other news- Penny's jump from the couch in July has progressed into a complete tear in her left leg.

My baby is going to have to go under tomorrow, doing TPLO. I'm so nervous for her and her recovery and feel bad that she doesn't even know how much pain she's going to be in tomorrow.

Any and all advice with recovery and therapy will be well received.

The place where she is having her surgery is local and also offers a rehab center.

But all in all please say a prayer for my sweet Penny. That she has a swift recovery, while being as comfortable and pain free as possible. Also that her right leg doesn't tear either! I'm looking into a sling to help her get around and to avoid putting all that pressure on the opposite leg.

Thank you everyone in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Many,many prayers for beautiful Penny! So sorry she has to have surgery,but she will do well. I think that [MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] would have some good suggestions for you,as he is experienced with surgeries. Wishing Penny well :pray::pray::pray::pray::heart::heart:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Praying for smooth procedure, and quick recovery. Poor baby girl, I know you have a vet you trust and everything will be fine! Keep us posted tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
@Coring Pesantes

Hi Corine, Guess what? Jewel is having surgery on the same leg today as well. I drop her off at 0730 this morning and will be waiting (some adjective) for the doctors call saying she is OK. Jewel will be held over night and at 0900 tomorrow we will call to check when she can come home. Based on your post, it sounds like Penny thinks she is Peter Pan as well. Who said bullies are total Couch Potatoes? Well that fallacy is busted. Jewel's surgery will make the third time we have been through this. As [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] has said...Bless her heart. :yes: I just love her.

After surgery, no running, jumping, climbing, walking (except to go pee) for 6 weeks. Stitches/staples will come out in about two weeks or so. The first 96 hours are the worst for me seeing my girl in pain hobbling to go potty. We use a blanket as a litter to minimize walking to Jewel's favorite spots to potty. We use a towel straddling Jewel to support her while she potty's.

We have a pen with pads water bowl and food. Oh yes..do not be surprised if Penny does not want to eat very much after surgery. It took Bentley about 48 hours before he would eat. We have boiled chicken for Jewel mixed with her kibble. For Jewel, we will not give her the antibiotic until she has food in her tummy as the medicine will make her sick. Jewel also has empty stomach syndrome and will puke yellowish froth if she does not eat so we have a double challenge during the recovery period.

Jewel is in her crate when we are at work and at night. If she is not in her pen or crate, she is on a leash with her harness so we can prevent her from bolting.

Corine...I am with you. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Our prayers are with you and Jewel today. We hope all goes well.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sending lots of prayers and good wishes... please keep us posted!!! :drawheart:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Good Luck, Penny. I hope Mom buys you some new chew toys to keep you occupied while you spend lots of time in your kennel so that your leg can properly heal. Let her know it's Ok and that you will be much better off and heal much quicker if your activity level is kept to a minimum...just in case she doesn't already know. This is that hardest part about this surgery/recovery, Penny...just in case YOU didn't already know.

!!!!GOOD LUCK!!!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Stayed off a few days and didn't see your news until I popped in here and saw Roger's post
mentioning Jewel's surgery would be same day as Penny's.

Have Penny & Jewel in prayer for successful surgeries & you & Roger for peace & calm while
waiting for your precious bullies to be released back into your care.

Let the recovery begin soon and end quickly and enough with the surgeries...Group hugs!

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
No news yet. I dropped her tongue flopping happy self off this morning. They said the I should be getting a phone call anywhere between 3-4 updating me on everything.

Of course I was a blubbering mess walking out of there. I feel terrible!

Thank you for all the continued prayers and support!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
No news yet. I dropped her tongue flopping happy self off this morning. They said the I should be getting a phone call anywhere between 3-4 updating me on everything.

Of course I was a blubbering mess walking out of there. I feel terrible!

Thank you for all the continued prayers and support!

No worries...I did the same thing. It is going to be a long 12 weeks for us.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
We'll get through it [MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION]! Vet just text me. They haven't started yet - but all pre-op work is done and everything looks great. Next update will be after the surgery. I write this with tears welling up now.

I actually found a TPLO Home Recovery Program Booklet. It broke down all stages of healing and what therapies to do when and how long. I'm going to bring that in tomorrow and see if its vet approved. ;)

As soon as she gets the "OK" for swimming, I'll be taking her to the therapy resort for swimming in the hopes that we can build that muscle up.

I also have a wagon that she LOVES to ride in. I'll probably stuff it with a comforter and take her a evening rides to get her out of the house and out if her crate so she wont get depressed. Im just worried that im going to do something wrong and she wont heal right. UGH- this is stressful.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I know that feeling after you drop them off and waiting is just awful. Hang in there, you'll get through this. We are here for you and Penny is so lucky to have a mom who will do right by her and get her feeling better and healing right as quickly as possible

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
We'll get through it [MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION]! Vet just text me. They haven't started yet - but all pre-op work is done and everything looks great. Next update will be after the surgery. I write this with tears welling up now.

Okay...now my eyes are welling up as I'm sure other EBN'ers are too...domino effect!

Just read poor Roger's statement about blubbering too :(

Praying even more over all of us...two surgeries going on is wrecking me, ugh!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.