Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling with your EBD

Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    None yet
    Likes (Received)

Default Travelling with your EBD

Hi guys,

my wife was talking with someone who has a EBD and they basically said that it wasn't a good idea to travel long distances to go and get one as they have difficulty breathing due to their squishy faces and they could die. I'm calling bull on this one as I haven't read anywhere where it says you can or it is recommended that you only travel less than 4 hours with your dog. Otherwise how would you take them on holiday? How did they get overseas and other countries???

What are you thoughts and what do you take with you when you collect your new EBD?

Thanks as always

Mikey

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie or Primrose
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Travelling with your EBD

I agree with the Bull part , I picked up Rosie at 8 weeks old from my breeder and that one way was a 6 plus hr drive -rosie-day-010-jpg-rosie-day-012-jpg-rosie-day-016-jpg-rosie-day-023-jpg-rosie-day-031-jpg-rosie-day-042-jpg as you can see she did fine slept most of the way.
    We took a lot of fresh water and bowl , her food , toys and treats . We stopped at lest once a hour for P and Poop play breaks , due to play at stops she slept , she was in her kennel app 1/2 the trip and half on My lap or beside me on seat . We have people here on the site drive across there countries with there dogs and ask for the same advice all the time , if it is cold out turn the heat on if it is warm out turn on the A/C just like you would need . Think the key to our trips is a lot of stops and make the time to do those stops , it is just like having a child in the vehicle right .
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

3. Likes cefe13, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

I drove 15 hours with mine. He slept about 13 hours. It's about keeping them calm and the temperature right. We stopped many times for potty and food breaks.

I would never take mine on a plane unless he can be in the cabin with me. The holds of planes are not safe for bullies.

5. Likes cefe13 liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

we travel by car with ours. Lola's been on many 5+ hour trips, but we are especially careful in the spring summer and fall. I make sure the car is cooled prior to her entering and I keep the A/C on on the floor where she sits the entire time despite how cold my husbands feet get. We keep a hamster bottle of water and some treats for her in the car. She's not happy to leave the car in noisy places so she used to make the 5 hour trip with no bathroom breaks. Now that we live further from our hometowns, our drive is about 10+ hours. They still come with us when we go. but we have to make a specific low key stop for them to relax and maybe even eat.

Never on an airplane. Different countries only in the sense that I lived in Canada and now back in the States. You must keep them calm and the temperature regulated at all times. It's a bigger deal than you think.

i forgot to mention we always take a cooler with water and ice and food (one eats raw). Extra blankets, tons of dog wipes, all their meds, a squirt bottle of lemon juice in case of congestion.

7. Likes cefe13, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjm26 View Post
    I'm calling bull on this one...
    Good Call.

Her assertion is utter nonsense. How is riding in a kennel in the back of a car any different than laying in a kennel in the living room...other than some occasional motion(which tends to put my dogs to sleep)? For a puppy, count on stopping for pee/water breaks every 1-2 hours. If you are taking a very long trip you might consider an overnight stay somewhere dog friendly. If you need to feed make sure the meals are light, but it's best not to feed at all, unless staying overnight...then feed dinner and skip breakfast. Make sure they are in a kennel when traveling long distances. No riding in passenger seat or in a passenger's arms/lap. Good luck, have fun!

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

9. Likes cefe13, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    None yet
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info. A few things to think about now. Do they get quite stressed while travelling? I live in Scotland so we only get 1 hot day a year!!!

11. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Just going by Monty and Chumly, I think they are like most dogs... they love going in the car. I have only ever had one dog that didn't. NO flying though unless they are in the cabin with you. I brought Chumly with me from the UK and thought I did everything right but he was so distressed I thought we were headed for the emergency vet straight from the airport. Luckily he calmed down when he got in the car. He scared me to death though and I would never, ever do that again. Maybe going by ferry would be OK as long as you can keep him in a normal temperature and stay with him the whole time. Are they allowed out of the car on a ferry? If not, that may present a problem temperature-wise.

One thing, when we got Monty, the first couple of days he was here he was panting the whole time. It was stress in a new environment. We watched him carefully and he didn't appear 'distressed', just nervous and then he settled in. He also hadn't had his palate surgery then so it sounded bad.

Edited to add - I would also NEVER leave a bulldog unattended in a car anyway, for any reason.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

13. Likes cefe13, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)

Chunky goes for rides everyday with me that are usually 30minutes to and hour and does fine. I drove around 4 hours with him when I got him and he had already been in the breeders truck inside a crate for 2 hours or so. My niece held him the 4 hours home and we only stopped one time and he did fine.

Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjm26 View Post
    Hi guys,

"that you only travel less than 4 hours with your dog. Otherwise how would you take them on holiday? How did they get overseas and other countries???"

Mikey
    Travel by what means? in a car should be NO Issue with length of times -- just frequent stops...

Travel by Air? HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND IT -- Most airlines will not fly our smooshie faced loved ones. As they do have breathing difficulties, and in the cargo hold there is an Inordinate Risk factor - Too many Dead pets in the cargo hold, and bullies and pugs have an even BIGGER mortality Rate.

16. Likes cefe13, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RaRett View Post
    Travel by what means? in a car should be NO Issue with length of times -- just frequent stops...

Travel by Air? HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND IT -- Most airlines will not fly our smooshie faced loved ones. As they do have breathing difficulties, and in the cargo hold there is an Inordinate Risk factor - Too many Dead pets in the cargo hold, and bullies and pugs have an even BIGGER mortality Rate.

I ditto that. By car, no issues. By air, no way.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

18. Likes cefe13 liked this post
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala
    Likes (Received)

I just don't get it why (im being nice her and will say ) PEOPLE like that "someone" puts their 2 cent when they actually know jack " sh** " or like the Scottish would say, crrrrrap in June I just crossed 1/2 of Canada. Biggest country in the world. Oh wait 2nd as Russia has merged. Nyala was great. Stopped ever 3-4 hours and she was only 8-9 months old. We have a big pickup she can stretch out but she slept like a baby. We would stop make her run, play ball, drink water n snacks for a good 30 mins pit stops. She did great! We did 6000km aside driving around once we reached our destination. Yes Scotland is a cool place but im sure you have heat in your car I also have a hiking jacket that reflects heat so she stays warm in winter. As you know Canada sure gets cold fast especially in winter.

20. Likes cefe13, oscarmayer, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Jewel and Bentley have only traveled approximately 2.5 hours (one way) to go to grandma's house. We most of the time, we have lunch or dinner visit a while then we are on the 2.5 hour trek home. Jewel usually sleeps all the way up and back and Bentley does pretty good trying to find a comfy spot to lay down. Neither one get sick but in case they do, we have a paste by VetriScience that calms the stomach down. Works pretty good. We also have chew toys available to keep them occupied. We stop at the half-way points for potty and water breaks. It is amazing how Bentley knows where we are as he starts to get excited 5-10 minutes before the rest stop and getting to grandma's house.

In other threads, some airlines will not allow bullies to travel in the cargo holds because of breathing issues.

22. Likes cefe13, 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads