Travelling with your EBD

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor is ok with the car too. We drove 7h when we picked him up and he slept most of the ride and we have made several 4-5 h trips without problems.

Car safety is very important. Dogs that aren't crated or wearing a harness that is attached to a safety belt can turn into lethal projectiles if you need to brake suddenly. When Castor was young we attached his harness to a safety belt in the back seat but he managed to unbuckle the safety belt (by mistake, I'm sure) so we bought him a safety crate. It takes up half the boot but Castor is safe and we are safe.
castor i bilen.JPG

OP
M

mikeyjm26

Sep 15, 2016
Glasgow
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Dog harness that fits into the safety belt....that is a brilliant idea. Did not know you could get one!!! Is the crate for the car the same as the one yo uwould have in the house? Do you strap it in anywhere?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
This is the kind of crate we use (info in Swedish but you can see what it looks like!). It's attaches to the car with nylon strap belts. As crating dogs in your house is illegal in Sweden, I don't know what house crates look like, really, but I've seen collapsable crates that people use for shows, etc., and although such a crate will confine the dog it won't help much in a car accident. Unfortunately, the kind of safety crate we have for Castor is very expensive so unless you will be driving a lot with your dog, a harness is probably a good start. To attach the harness we had something very similar to what [MENTION=15848]Old School Dropout[/MENTION] linked to.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the gang... we have done a two weeks cross country trip in the car and our boy did great. Many 12-24 hour trips with our other babies... no issues. Potty stops every 3 hours and water available in the car for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Castor is ok with the car too. We drove 7h when we picked him up and he slept most of the ride and we have made several 4-5 h trips without problems.

Car safety is very important. Dogs that aren't crated or wearing a harness that is attached to a safety belt can turn into lethal projectiles if you need to brake suddenly. When Castor was young we attached his harness to a safety belt in the back seat but he managed to unbuckle the safety belt (by mistake, I'm sure) so we bought him a safety crate. It takes up half the boot but Castor is safe and we are safe.
View attachment 101468

Your crate seems like it was made for your truck. Is it from the manufacturer? Its neat ! Nyala is now big enough to be completely in the back like yours. I do have a barrier that goes against the back seats so the dog does bounce over the seats if something happens. I find she's starting not to like the back seats as the are leather and even with a blanket she still slides. Why im thinking completely in the back now.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Your crate seems like it was made for your truck. Is it from the manufacturer? Its neat ! Nyala is now big enough to be completely in the back like yours. I do have a barrier that goes against the back seats so the dog does bounce over the seats if something happens. I find she's starting not to like the back seats as the are leather and even with a blanket she still slides. Why im thinking completely in the back now.

No, ours (Artfex) is a model that according to the manufacturer fits many station wagons! We have a Volvo and the crate is Swedish and perhaps not available on the international market. We chose between ours and one from Variocage which seems to be a big brand on the market.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
When you first get the puppy they might be a bit scared about their new surroundings so I would just make sure the pup drinks water during the drive so they don't get dehydrated. Keep the AC on for them if it's hot. The time/distance thing isn't real. I drive 12+ hours with 2 bulldogs from DC to Florida a few times per year, plus other road trips. My dogs love car trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.