mikeyjm26

Sep 15, 2016
Glasgow
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi guys,

I am going to look at dog that is 17 months but what questions should I ask the seller? Also do you think it is alright to get a vet to look at the dog before buying it? The seller is saying the dog is for sale due to family reasons so I think it is highly unlikely should there be any problems with the dog that they would take it back like a breeder would.

Thanks in advance

Mikey

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would definitely take it to have a vet examine him before buying. Find a good Bulldog vet,if possible. Do not take it to the owner's vet,but a different one. [MENTION=16347]mikeyjm26[/MENTION] I would also ask to see his shot records,and any other health records they have(though if they are not honest-they won't show them) Take a look at him-is his skin good-healthy hair,no goopy eyes,no limping. is he a registered dog-is he micro-chipped? Being registered is not necessary a requirement,unless you wanted to breed. Has the dog been spayed,or if male-castrated?

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi guys,

I am going to look at dog that is 17 months but what questions should I ask the seller? Also do you think it is alright to get a vet to look at the dog before buying it? The seller is saying the dog is for sale due to family reasons so I think it is highly unlikely should there be any problems with the dog that they would take it back like a breeder would.

Thanks in advance

Mikey

Here is a link that may help you although the bully in question is 17 months old. Buying and Puppy or Dog - Information You Need to Know - American Kennel Club

Bulldogs are very high maintenance. Please explore this website English Bulldog News Forums - Is an English Bulldog the Right Breed for You?

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog: What is a Tail Pocket?

English Bulldog News Forums - The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva

These articles may help you also.

Cheers!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Hi Mike, what site is this dog for sale on and how much are they asking for? I would be very leary of this being a scam. Make sure you ask what the temperment of the dog is as this dog is almost 2yrs old and is it a female? If it is it could have been used as a breeder for a puppy mill although 2 is kinda young, so that is a slim possibility. I would ask to see the dog and DO NOT exchange any money before the day you are handed the dog. Good luck

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hopefully, this is a nice dog looking for a new forever home! But yes, definitely take the dog to a vet before buying it! Unless you are used to dogs yourself, I would also go visit the dog together with someone who knows what to look for when it comes to social behaviour and temper. Take the dog for a walk and, if you have children, make sure the dog is used to kids or will be able to get on with them.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Would you buy a car without inspection? Like mentioned, if you do not know much on dog's issues, I would definitely go to a bully vet. But still, vets cant say much unless you get full scan, xrays etc on the dog. Is this dog child friendly if you have any of your own. Thereis so many questions. Ive seen people selling bullies and wasn't even theirs. Not saying this is the case but you better ask all sorts of questions. Ask to see the dog's medical reports/shots etc. If there's none, turn around and back out. And yet can be the perfect dog. It's thst famous 50/50.

OP
M

mikeyjm26

Sep 15, 2016
Glasgow
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thanks for the info guys, it is making me think a lot about it. I look through various sites to see what dogs are available and usually they range from £750 up to £2k form 5 months to 4 years. I am only interested in male dogs, not wanting to breed him either and will probably get him neutered. Our son is grown up but we have our 7 year old niece who comes and stays with us. Most of the ads say child friendly so how can you tell if it is? Also all the dogs are microchipped but how do you know if the dog is theirs?

I would never hand money over for a dog before getting the dog but I am glad that you guys think it alright to take it to a vet first. What type of cost would I expect for a vet to check the dog?

Thanks again.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
When you take it to the vet, they should have a scanner to check for the chip. You can call the chip company and explain you are trying to buy the dog and can they confirm the owner. Also the owner should have a chip information form from when he was chipped. As to cost for vet check, call and see what they would charge. It's been several years since I have been to the vet in the UK so can't help you there I'm afraid.

I noticed you said "all the dogs are microchipped", are you just referring to the new law or dogs you have seen advertised or have you seen one where they have several dogs? If it is where they have several dogs I would really want to know about the circumstances.

Are you checking the rescues too?

Good luck with your search!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks for the info guys, it is making me think a lot about it. I look through various sites to see what dogs are available and usually they range from £750 up to £2k form 5 months to 4 years. I am only interested in male dogs, not wanting to breed him either and will probably get him neutered. Our son is grown up but we have our 7 year old niece who comes and stays with us. Most of the ads say child friendly so how can you tell if it is? Also all the dogs are microchipped but how do you know if the dog is theirs?

I would never hand money over for a dog before getting the dog but I am glad that you guys think it alright to take it to a vet first. What type of cost would I expect for a vet to check the dog?

Thanks again.

Like [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] mentioned, vets do have scanners to let you know if the dog was scanned or not. Ive heard chips can move elsewhere and not where it was inserted. Child friendly? Bring the kids over to visit the dog. Bring a few if you want. You'll get your answer there for sure lol. Also like mentioned did you check the rescue/fosters first? You might want to go that way if you're not sure what you're going to buy or if you're looking to get an older dog. Most if the time these dogs have been check by their vets, will have some sort of a history/background on the dog. If you foster, like that you can decide if you are going to keep it or not. Easier to return if dog don't like kids. :)

OP
M

mikeyjm26

Sep 15, 2016
Glasgow
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I noticed you said "all the dogs are microchipped", are you just referring to the new law or dogs you have seen advertised or have you seen one where they have several dogs? If it is where they have several dogs I would really want to know about the circumstances.

Are you checking the rescues too?

The dogs I have seen advertised are all saying they are microchipped. I am going to try the Bulldog Rescue, I bought the Bulldog Bible from them and it is a really informative read and I like the way they are setup. At least I know the dog has been looked after by them, maybe not the previous owner and they are very thorough when it comes to letting you have a dog which I like as well. If they decide that we are not suitable then I would know that it would not be a path we should pursue in getting a dog.

I would take a child with me if I had any but unfortunately the youngest we have is my sister in laws and I wouldn't want to risk anything happening to her. Fostering sounds like a good idea as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I love all the homework you are doing... great job!!

Gang has given excellent info and advice--- best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.