April has a torn ACL

Aprilthebully

Sep 26, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April
My April has a torn ACL and they quoted me $7,000 to fix it. They diagnosed it at the animal hospital without an xray. What is the best procedure? and how long is the recovery? I am really concerned this will be her 3rd surgery this year and she is only 19 months. She was spayed, both eyes operated and less than a month the acl in one leg and they told me she will probably need two. I feel so sorry for her, they gave me tramadol and a muscle relaxer. If anyone can help, she hasn't been well for more than a few months between mange, eye issues, skin issues and now this I feel horrible for her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!

7 grand is pretty high... I had two ACL's done and I think they were in the 2500 range. I know a few have had the surgery and there are many threads here about it, but I will tag some members and they can give you more insight.

For now, keep her calm... leashed walks only, not steps, jumping or running.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=16387]Aprilthebully[/MENTION] First....Welcome to EBN--Jewel and Bentley say hello.

The ACL bit I have been through this with both Jewel and Bentley. $7,000 seems quite a bit high as [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] has said. I do not know where you live as the USA is pretty big. Bentley had surgery earlier this year and cost $3,800

Recovery time after TPLO (please see Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy (TPLO) - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company! )surgery is about 12 weeks. The first six weeks no running, jumping, walking except to potty, climbing. April will have to stay on a leash so you can hold her back from the aforementioned. After 6 weeks, limited walking. I hope the link helps.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
My Penny is getting TPLO done today actually. My vet quoted $3100. $7000 seems outrageous. I would definitely call around.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
That price is WAY high...call around and travel a bit away from the city for something approaching reasonable.

Most Reactions