Let's talk hip dysplasia, how many of you guys and girls pets have it?

Darkhrse99

Apr 4, 2010
I was just at the vet for Coco's first visit at 10 weeks. She had x-rays done and she has hip dysplasia in her left hip. The vet wants to see how she does over the next few months, so hopefully it gets better. How many of bulldogs out there has to too and has it bee rough to live with ?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is very common in many breeds.... they can live a full and happy life with it, weight management is key along with limited stairs and jumping. My girl, Banks, was diagnosed at 8 months and the vet seeing her at that time (our regular vet was on vacation) told us she would not be able to live past 2 because of how bad they were.... well, he was wrong, Banks lived a wonderful full 9 years

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] no need to panic. It's not just bullies. GS are very well know for hip issues too. Mine was still jumping 6foot fences at 8yrs old. Make sure your puppy gets proper vitamins. Start putting turmeric in the food. Just a thought!

Turmeric as an Anti-Inflammatory

The active ingredient in turmeric, curcumin, is a potent anti-inflammatory agent.*Curcumin appears to inhibit inflammation through several mechanisms, including the COX-2 pathway blocked by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Documented benefits of turmeric include significant reduction in the pain and limitations of age related arthritis.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] no need to panic. It's not just bullies. GS are very well know for hip issues too. Mine was still jumping 6foot fences at 8yrs old. Make sure your puppy gets proper vitamins. Start putting turmeric in the food. Just a thought!

Turmeric as an Anti-Inflammatory

The active ingredient in turmeric, curcumin, is a potent anti-inflammatory agent.*Curcumin appears to inhibit inflammation through several mechanisms, including the COX-2 pathway blocked by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Documented benefits of turmeric include significant reduction in the pain and limitations of age related arthritis.

Great info---

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I don't know how it is there, but in Finland hips are graded from A to E. A being no hip dysplasia and everything from B on it's not normal and already called dysplasia E being the worse. Bulldogs are saved by their muscle mass and it is very important to keep their condition good, meaning regular exersice. IMO it's also beneficial for males to be intact (if there is no problems in that area) since testosterone plays a big role in keeping the muscles in good shape. High quality food and good supplementation and not too much weight in fat is also essential.

OP
Darkhrse99

Darkhrse99

Apr 4, 2010
Thank you everyone for your input. I was just shocked and then I got the bill for the X rays. I definitely will keep her weight in check and take supplements to help also.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Most of the time the worst case scenario isn't so terrible. FHO surgery removes the ball in the hip joint and immediately relieves the pain. Recovery is rapid and quality of life is as good as it gets. My Zoey had bilateral FHO 3 years ago and is doing just fine. You'd never know she'd had it.
Several of our rescues have had it and not a single issue.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.