mikeyjm26

Sep 15, 2016
Glasgow
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi guys,

I am looking at getting EBD but not a puppy, looking at ones from 6 months to 3 years old. Do you think it would be fine to rename or is it a bad idea? I am new to EBD scene and just trying to find out as many things as possible first before taking the plunge.

Thanks in advance

Mikey

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We renamed Monty when we got him and he was 4 yrs old. It was close to his previous name which he didn't answer to anyway so we figured WTH! Stray dogs that are rescued get new names with no problems. It may just take a little while for the dog to get used to it, that's all.

OP
M

mikeyjm26

Sep 15, 2016
Glasgow
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thanks for that, just wanted to make sure it was not something that was a no no.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Thank you for choosing to adopt an EBD, so many are in rescues and need a new home. Many people on here have adopted and changed the name of their new baby, so I don't see it as an issue at all... Good Luck!!!

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Sure why not, but depends too on if the dog really responds or not. We got a 1 year old rescue and kept her name but then again I got a 5 year old horse and changed hers (not quite the same) but they named her scrapple, who does that?? I changed it to Lacy lol.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
003.jpg This is Diva , lol she was a 7 year old female EB when I got her, God I hated that name but, She fit the name she was very much a Diva , she was strong willed and as you can see very loving . Diva lived till she was 12 I still miss her but I could never come to change her name as much as I hated it because it fit so well . I have now 5 dogs and all but one are saves and came named and there is only one I have changed the name of and that is Newpuppy 002.jpg Dakota seen here at app 3 months old , he came named Parka , to me that is a coat and it did not fit his personality in the least he was not a coat . Dakota was a young pup when i got him so there was as I saw it no issue in a re-name , as a rule I do not change names of a dog if over 6 months , there confused enough when I get them if they respond to there name it is all I care about no sense confusing them more is My view . Gl with your new one when you get him/her please post let us know what happens .

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We rarely change the names of the rescues that come in unless we plan to keep them or we really don't care for their name. We leave the re-naming up to the new owners. Most recently we had Sasha come into rescue with a broken leg. Once we fixed it, we fell in love with her, decided to keep her and renamed her Lala.

If you really don't like the name and want to change it and the new dog responds well to the original name then consider changing it to something similar.
Example: we had a 2 yr old male come in named Sig, as in Sig Sauer, a popular hand gun manufacturer. We didn't really like that name so I changed it to Ziggy. He responded to it right away...and his new family kept it.

OP
M

mikeyjm26

Sep 15, 2016
Glasgow
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. I still need to find a dog which isn't easy and I'm quite fussy about what I want.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN .... Dogs can handle the name change, when you meet you new family member you will know if the name fits and if not change it.

We got Chelios (our French Bulldog) and he was 8 months old with the name CE-Loo :barf:... I hated it and we came up with his new name Chelios, he picked up on it in about a week without any issues

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I think the name can be changed, you'll know once you spend some time together whether it fits or not. plus, they are very lovable and I think it's fitting to have nicknames! I've called Murray everything from Murray, Murray puppy, Murray bear, Mur bear, Mur man, tubby puppy which turned into tubbington, pumpkin. He responds to them all!

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I have seen dogs names get names changed after they been adopted by a rescue organization.

My personal experience, it didn't work lol She loved her name Porkchop . I kept it bec " Layla" didn't work lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherlock

Mar 5, 2016
Italy
Country
Italy
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston and Emma
We recently got our second English Bulldog and we renamed her immediately... it took just a few days... no problem at all... go for it.
Two hearts_little.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.