ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The articles brings up valid points, and I do believe that there are many breeders that only care about the looks and not the health of the breed. I have seen SO many EBD'S end up in rescue, it's extremely sad and frustrating...

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I do believe the KC has a lot to answer for with their breed standards. There was a big uproar concerning the KC and Crufts (THE dog show in the UK) a few years ago, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_Dogs_Exposed but I don't think anything has changed. As much as I love bulldogs, I would much prefer them to be healthy and if their looks change somewhat, so be it. It is the same with many another breeds, what they have done to the German Shepherd is criminal in my mind. Those poor show dogs have a completely unatural gait now and suffer many back problems. The list goes on.... But as we all know, it all comes down to 'Money'. I am not saying all breeders are bad, far from it, but too many of them are in it just for the money. And the dogs are the ones that suffer. Rant over.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I read a article recently about Bulldogs are the 2nd most popular dog in North America behind the Lab, now to Me that is not good . Far to many people that do not have a clue will now be filling the rescues with these dogs . Half think there gonna be great Guard dogs due to there looks shakes head ! The reason we all go to school is to learn to read , I wish people would take the time to come to places like this and read about the breed to see if it fits there life style before running out and getting a Bulldog .

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I read a article recently about Bulldogs are the 2nd most popular dog in North America behind the Lab, now to Me that is not good . Far to many people that do not have a clue will now be filling the rescues with these dogs . Half think there gonna be great Guard dogs due to there looks shakes head ! The reason we all go to school is to learn to read , I wish people would take the time to come to places like this and read about the breed to see if it fits there life style before running out and getting a Bulldog .

Me too, Nat. I met the breed when my son fell in love for the 1st time and she owned a stunningly gorgeous bulldog.
Bruzer, such a personality too (as are they all). The 1st time Hubby & I cared for him by ourselves, we were over-
whelmed by all the special instructions, special food, special needs...his OCDness but mostly, that night when we all
went to bed, we became alarmed by his breathing,made a late night call to ask her THAT sound was normal. Upon
learning it was, we settled in for the night and about 30 minutes later, I couldn't help it...my sobs filled the room too.
Hubby turned on the light and he had tears in his eyes...we just couldn't believe how hard Bruzer had to struggle to
breathe! She had bought him in college & knew nothing about the breed so I started researching. Almost 2 years later
I joined EBN and started looking at rescues & rehomes, Brutus came to stay, in our home & in our hearts and after, my
Cami, who lives here now. And all these wonderful, fabulous & dearly loved bullies of y'all's, I've love too.

I pray we find a better way for them to live longer & live better. Banning puppy mills & backyard breeders is a good start.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I do believe the KC has a lot to answer for with their breed standards. There was a big uproar concerning the KC and Crufts (THE dog show in the UK) a few years ago, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_Dogs_Exposed but I don't think anything has changed. As much as I love bulldogs, I would much prefer them to be healthy and if their looks change somewhat, so be it. It is the same with many another breeds, what they have done to the German Shepherd is criminal in my mind. Those poor show dogs have a completely unatural gait now and suffer many back problems. The list goes on.... But as we all know, it all comes down to 'Money'. I am not saying all breeders are bad, far from it, but too many of them are in it just for the money. And the dogs are the ones that suffer. Rant over.

Could not agree more... the GSD breaks my heart when I see them

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Me too, Nat. I met the breed when my son fell in love for the 1st time and she owned a stunningly gorgeous bulldog.
Bruzer, such a personality too (as are they all). The 1st time Hubby & I cared for him by ourselves, we were over-
whelmed by all the special instructions, special food, special needs...his OCDness but mostly, that night when we all
went to bed, we became alarmed by his breathing,made a late night call to ask her THAT sound was normal. Upon
learning it was, we settled in for the night and about 30 minutes later, I couldn't help it...my sobs filled the room too.
Hubby turned on the light and he had tears in his eyes...we just couldn't believe how hard Bruzer had to struggle to
breathe! She had bought him in college & knew nothing about the breed so I started researching. Almost 2 years later
I joined EBN and started looking at rescues & rehomes, Brutus came to stay, in our home & in our hearts and after, my
Cami, who lives here now. And all these wonderful, fabulous & dearly loved bullies of y'all's, I've love too.

I pray we find a better way for them to live longer & live better. Banning puppy mills & backyard breeders is a good start.

My Gran a very English women from Leeds UK introduced Me to the breed she had Chance a save form the humane society , She lived with us so I had full access to Chance as a young man was maybe 10 years old , she was always waiting for me when I came home for lunch and after school , as I/We were new to the neighbourhood she was My best friend for many years I so loved that Bully .
I like you never forgot the breed , put it on my bucket list as life got busy , married ,kids ect ect . I came here first using a search engine to explore the thought of getting that check mark on the bucket list , spent app 2 years exploring the thought , the longest part of the search and info was looking for a responsible breeder as we here do not mention breeders to much as we should in My view .
Enter Matilda we know her as Tilly here as a 8 week old pup , I went threw all what you describe all the idiosyncrasies that our wonderful breed comes with including the air coming out the other end lol . As we know she had a very short life due to cancer , Diva also showed up as a save here and she also had cancer which we fought tooth and nail and won a extra 4 years to her wonderful life and died shortly after Tilly , It took a lot of wind out of My sails let me tell you , I still came here to our site and healed by our friends here and learned every single day and tried to help as best I could with new owners . It was this place that helped heal Me and let me move on to step back into the Breed and as you know Primrose or Rosie came home at 8 weeks of age .
It seems the breeders are now finally making changes to our beloved it will take a few generations but I think it a wonderful thing to see .
I still have issues opening posts that start with Cancer in My dog most times I do not a bit more healing to be done yet for that ,

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,

Could not agree more 100 percent Rant away people need to know this stuff before getting these breeds , I was fully aware of what was up with our breed because I read a lot and learned from this site . Well said Pam

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.