OSUBULLDOG

Sep 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Hello all!
I have a 7 1/2 yo English Bulldog, Brutus. We have been through the ringer this past year with allergies. We had been on Natural Balance formulas for years (grain free, chicken free, potato free, limited ingredients...) with occasional allergy issues. We started seeing a dermatologist and a very expensive allergy test was given with inclusive results and the doctor felt it was all food related. We switched to a veterinarian formula with great results but it was short lived. A bulldog lover suggested Orijen Red, mistake for Brutus, I think the beef was a huge no, no. We switched the fish formula with again great results until week two and now we are back to an itchy bully. The two biggest issues are itchy tail (I clean it daily and use coconut oil) and goopy/cloudy eyes (dry eye cream 2x/day). He is taking Benadryl 2x/day with slight relief. HELP! Any suggestions??? I am at my wits end and I know he is not himself.
Thanks!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
We have rescued upwards of 500 Bulldogs over the past 10 years and most all of them (99%)are rehomed with great skin and we feed Now Senior food. One boy we have right now did not do well with it so we are feeding him Merrick Salmon Ltd Ing. Those two foods are our Go To brands. There are many others that will give similar results and Fromm is one. Many owners here feed it...just find the right mix. Lower protein is recommended for an older Bully.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I think I would maybe consider a novel protein at this point. Kangaroo, venison, rabbit with as few ingredients again as possible. Have you been able to tell if there is a common ingredient in all the other foods you have tried? I do realize how frustrating this is I have been going through it myself somewhat. Monty was doing great on Acana then THEY changed the ingredients for the USA, Arghhh! Monty does alright with Salmon and Duck but not Beef, Lamb or other fish so I am trying to find a food based on one of the first two. I have just started him on Zignature Duck and am keeping my fingers crossed! Check Zignature out as they have several foods, grain, chicken, potato free. Good luck!

OP
O

OSUBULLDOG

Sep 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Thanks! We have tried rabbit, venison and other novel proteins. At this point I don't know if it's the proteins or other ingredients. I noticed potatoes give him a funky smell and he itches his back. I need to go back to a more LID with one or two proteins. I had never heard about older dogs not doing well on higher proteins. This all started last December and I was adamant it was our new cat but he was tested for cats too. Lol

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
The high protein foods make weight management more difficult. Most older Bulldogs are not very active and do not require that protein. The body will store what it doesn't burn.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I feel your pain, it can be challenging to find the right food. Zignature is a good one to try but I'm having better results with natures variety instinct salmon.

OP
O

OSUBULLDOG

Sep 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
We are trying California Natural kangaroo and lentil LID. Fingers crossed!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Also try Zyrtec or Clartin if the Benedryl is not effective. Both of those are 1 pull fir the whole day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we just switched our allergy prone senior to canidae limited ingredient boar. We have ours both on apoquel for now, and prior to this on a very low dose of temaril-P which has a steroid component. Sometimes the side effect risks are less than the good these medications can do for quality of life, especially for a senior.

Arcanine

Sep 21, 2016
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
no
Should pay attention to the nutrition in the food. Interestingly, a growing bulldog puppy may consume more calories than their adult counterparts. A young bulldog weighing around 50 pounds may require at least 1451 calories per day. If your bulldogs has sedentary lifestyle, like they lie all day and has little exercise, they may need fewer calories.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.