Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Off to the vet -- swollen neck, vommitting, possible blockage [emoji22]

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Default Off to the vet -- swollen neck, vommitting, possible blockage

I think my boss is going to have my head. My parents were in town visiting so we did the tourist thing in DC all weekend, the dogs had a blast getting some pets and belly scratches.

Well early yesterday morning ruckus threw up kibble, ok happens. Well there were two more piles when we came back from museums and then he vommitted again a few times. So at this point I'm worried and don't give him dinner. He begs for some late at night and I give him a few handfuls that he keeps down. A couple poops later, not great poops but not diarrhea, I think he had a stomach bug or something. Then he wants to play so we think ok he's on the mend. Fast forward to 2am he's restless and Wales me up, I got to pet him some and notice his neck is swollen in a few areas and it goes all the way up his cheeks. It's hard to see in a picture because it's more of a thickening of the skin and not like round swelling. He isn't totally lethargic but he lacks his normal spunk.

So our vet isn't in until the afternoon so we see her at 1:30. Well Ruckus just threw up and this came out: hair and string maybe? Could he have had a blockage? I'm freaking out and can't get to the vet soon enough.

Update: I ripped it open -- looks like a piece of stick and hair, but like short dog hairs and not just long human ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Off to the vet -- swollen neck, vommitting, possible blockage

Oh my word. Poor baby. I bet the constant vomiting was being caused by his body trying to get rid of that. If he's been pooping then he wasn't fully blocked, maybe just partial. The swollen neck worries me though... why would he be swollen? I would have them do xrays for sure, just to make sure nothing else is in there. If they look clear, then maybe some stomach meds just to help the acid in his stomach settle back down. Please keep us posted, and the fact that he was able to get that out on his own is a good thing.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

3. Likes helsonwheels, Jersey liked this post
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Oh my word. Poor baby. I bet the constant vomiting was being caused by his body trying to get rid of that. If he's been pooping then he wasn't fully blocked, maybe just partial. The swollen neck worries me though... why would he be swollen? I would have them do xrays for sure, just to make sure nothing else is in there. If they look clear, then maybe some stomach meds just to help the acid in his stomach settle back down. Please keep us posted, and the fact that he was able to get that out on his own is a good thing.
    Definitely yes on the X-ray and definitely yes on keeping you posted. I can't believe he ate that piece of stick...it has some pointy ends so I'm shocked it came back up. Poor guy seems a little disoriented. He's not pooping much at all today, like a tiny bit, but not sure if it's blockage or if he just doesn't have anything to give since he's not eating much but vommitting.

Extra snuggles dos my big guy tonight. Regina is worried about him and is staying close.

5. Likes Jersey liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g8erjackie View Post
    Definitely yes on the X-ray and definitely yes on keeping you posted. I can't believe he ate that piece of stick...it has some pointy ends so I'm shocked it came back up. Poor guy seems a little disoriented. He's not pooping much at all today, like a tiny bit, but not sure if it's blockage or if he just doesn't have anything to give since he's not eating much but vommitting.

Extra snuggles dos my big guy tonight. Regina is worried about him and is staying close.

Poor guy! I can tell you that it takes alot out of them when they are constantly vomiting. When Tyson had those socks in him, he was so not himself, and lethargic. You are right some of that looks pretty pointy, I would want them to check to make sure it didn't hurt him while moving inside. I know you have mentioned you have a great bulldog vet so hopefully they will check all aspects!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

7. Likes helsonwheels, Jersey liked this post
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

oh my. Hope it is nothing serious. Good Luck to the big guy, Ruckus. Praying and leaving good thoughts for him.
    Hug your bully today

9. Likes Jersey liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

I hope he is OK. It looks almost like a fur ball with other stuff mixed in. I am sure he is feeling a litle bit better now that is gone though.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

11. Likes Jersey liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, Strikes, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Good Luck little guy. I'm hoping you are on the mend and will be back to your old self soon.

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

13. Likes Jersey liked this post
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

We're at the vet, they took him for X-rays. He did not like that thermometer going in there, but he's being a trooper. Vet said the neck swelling is mostly a skin issue, we found some hot spots under all that fur that must have popped up last night -- the inflammation from that caused glands to swell and he skin to swell. Checking for other things too, she's trying to figure out if and how the vommitting and skin issues and swelling are going together.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Oh GOSH... I would take him to the vets ASAP, there is NO telling what he has gotten into. Walter had a swollen neck like that and at first I thought it was a bee sting, but he ended up having puppy strangles. Sending lots of prayers, PLEASE keep us updated on Ruckus!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

16. Likes Texas Carol, Jersey liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g8erjackie View Post
    We're at the vet, they took him for X-rays. He did not like that thermometer going in there, but he's being a trooper. Vet said the neck swelling is mostly a skin issue, we found some hot spots under all that fur that must have popped up last night -- the inflammation from that caused glands to swell and he skin to swell. Checking for other things too, she's trying to figure out if and how the vommitting and skin issues and swelling are going together.

Ok that sounds good... hotspots are easily treated, so no worries there. Hang in there hon!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

18. Likes CCandMurray, Jersey liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Poor Ruckus - we hope the vet finds out what the problem is and that Nurse Regina can help you care for him. Castor sends a big hug.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

20. Likes CCandMurray, Texas Carol, Jersey liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Poor Ruckus!! Murray and I are sending hugs and healing thoughts your way